Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Im ready to get my RTR truggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Im ready to get my RTR truggy

Alright i got my traxxas slash and been to the track alot lately and now im hooked. I have to get a truggy its a huge class where im at and it looks really really fun. I have picked out two truggys that are in my price range. I would like your opinion on them and things to watch out for, or even consider me a different truggy. Heres the 2 i have picked:

Jammin X1X-CRT RTR
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2141
It seems this one comes with a crappy radio but not sure?

CEN Racing Matrix TR Arena RTR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10615
I have heard mixed opinions about this truck some say its great others say its a piece.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I would go with the the jammin crt and buy some metal chassis braces for it.
It was my first truggy and I beat the hell out of it only broke a few arms but it was all my fault clipping stuff at full throttle the motor that comes with it has great power and is easy to tune you will like it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Check out the Caster Racing K8T truggy. IMO opinion just as tough as a Jammin and better than a CEN.

http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...&products_id=4
Old 09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ive heard the jammins r pretty good, if u got enough get a 8-t rtr comes with a speky radio(2.4)
Old 09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

alright. you want a truggy, but is that the best. if 8th scale buggys are big at ur track too, i suggest that you get a buggy. you learn alot more and than if you went to truggys after that you are alot better racer. truggys are easy, but if you wanted to go to buggy after racing truggy, it is a confusing turn.

i suggest an eight rtr buggy.
eight-t truggy rtr
jammin x1x buggy.
jammin x1x truggy.
hyper st rtr
Old 09-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ClayKann101
Alright i got my traxxas slash and been to the track alot lately and now im hooked. I have to get a truggy its a huge class where im at and it looks really really fun. I have picked out two truggys that are in my price range. I would like your opinion on them and things to watch out for, or even consider me a different truggy. Heres the 2 i have picked:

Jammin X1X-CRT RTR
http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idproduct=2141
It seems this one comes with a crappy radio but not sure?

CEN Racing Matrix TR Arena RTR
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/10615
I have heard mixed opinions about this truck some say its great others say its a piece.
the jammin x1x are great , tough as nails......cen are nahhhhh no coment wouldn't recommend but there is on truggy is worth evey penny is the thunder tiger st-1, it handles & steering is so perfection only this you need to upgrade is the radio but the truggy is solid and for the price you can buy more accessories

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17281
Old 09-07-2008, 07:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

If you are looking at the Jammin truck, and an RTR isnt a HAVE to HAVE, then think about the X2 Crt

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=9991
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by thecman26
If you are looking at the Jammin truck, and an RTR isnt a HAVE to HAVE, then think about the X2 Crt

http://www.carolinasrc.com/Webstore/...idProduct=9991
+1 on the Jammin X2 instead of X1. (I hae an X1, they're great, but the X2 is the new version... price should be about the same...)
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

cen matrix comes with an awesome rtr radio
Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
cen matrix comes with an awesome rtr radio
What kind of radio is it? Thats my biggest problem is finding a good radio with a rtr. My buddy just got the Losi truggy and that comes with a dx2 radio i like the truck i just want something different and plus its outta my price range. I would like to keep it down to about 500 bucks.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If I recall correctly, the CENs either come with a Skyion Radio which I think is now FM, or the Airtronics MX3 radio which is FM.

The main issues with the Matrix TR is that you need to buy the CNC steering arm part. The plastic ones don't last very long. Also, they use a 23mm hex which kind of sucks for wheel choices as the big thing now is the LPR setup, 17mm. For the RTR, you will want to get a conventional air filter right away too.

The Matrix's can take a pretty good beating. I know a guy with the Truggy and my former Matrix Buggy and he beats the living crap out of them, and they do hold up much better than what I would have expected or have seen of other vehicles.

Performance wise they will get you around. Are they top flight? probably not, but, if your skills are up to it, you should be able to make the podium, same pretty much with any race vehicle. I liked the matrix I had as it was very neutral feeling around the track. Does it compare to my RC8 in the steering department, no. But I didn't feel overly outclassed against say the Jammin, Mugen, etc.

If you look online, especially ebay, you can actually find them VERY cheap, even new very cheap. I was very suprised by this.

Main thing is go with what you can get parts for. Me, I have no LHS, so it doesn't matter. For you though, if you have the parts on the wall, its really helps especially if you are on a budget.

Personally I would buy one used, buy a NEW engine as that is the part you should buy new unless you know the guy, and do a rebuild and clean up of the vehicle. You will save a good amount of money that way.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ya i dont really have a LHS either. I picked the cen truggy cause of its price and from what i hear it will do alright for a first timer. What do you mean that i need a conventional airfilter? Could i also use a starter box with this truck? The wheel problem shouldnt be that big of a deal i can just order the wheels directly from cen and put my tire choice on. Anyone Have first hand expierence with Cens Customer service? It can break all day but if there customer service is top notch it wont matter. How is cens .28 motor? From the looks of it, it seems to be a beast but can it handle a rookie tuner? I had a traxxas Tmaxx with the 2.5 and i could never tune that thing, thats what kinda got me outta the nitros. So im kinda nervous.

P.S. The radio that the cen comes with do i have to worry about my frequency, or is it like the spectrum radios?

Last edited by ClayKann101; 09-08-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
Check out the Caster Racing K8T truggy. IMO opinion just as tough as a Jammin and better than a CEN.

http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...&products_id=4
Ever the salesman, eh?
Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

this guy doesnt have the expierence half of us have and the x2 is a kit. i have an x2 great truggy ive raced for 8 years best truggy ive ever had but i dont think thsi guy is redy for a kit he wants rtr
Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ClayKann101
Ya i dont really have a LHS either. I picked the cen truggy cause of its price and from what i hear it will do alright for a first timer. What do you mean that i need a conventional airfilter? Could i also use a starter box with this truck? The wheel problem shouldnt be that big of a deal i can just order the wheels directly from cen and put my tire choice on. Anyone Have first hand expierence with Cens Customer service? It can break all day but if there customer service is top notch it wont matter. How is cens .28 motor? From the looks of it, it seems to be a beast but can it handle a rookie tuner? I had a traxxas Tmaxx with the 2.5 and i could never tune that thing, thats what kinda got me outta the nitros. So im kinda nervous.

P.S. The radio that the cen comes with do i have to worry about my frequency, or is it like the spectrum radios?
I have a Cen Matrix TR Arena truggy and I love it. The Cen is a solid truggy and I just upgraded to the BCE chassis.

I believe you will not be able to run different tires on the Cen rims. I think they are a different diameter so finding tires to fit might be a problem. Changing the truggy to 17mm hubs is not that difficult.

As far as the radio, you will have to worry about crystals unles you get or have a 2.4 GHz radio.

I have a second Cen TR Arena that I modified the chassis to run a smaller spur gear. I put the Matrix buggy braces and stone guards. I also converted the truggy to run 17mm wheels. It is for sale with an Airtronics MX-3 radio. PM me for pics if interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.