Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Gearing, gear ratios, benefits...??? >

Gearing, gear ratios, benefits...???

Gearing, gear ratios, benefits...???

Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Gearing, gear ratios, benefits...???

Directed toward buggy drivers mainly. The Jammin upgrades do it, from going with standard straight cut crown and pinions, to the spiral cut along with the smaller tooth count on the pinion. It can be on the Kyosho as well using the STRR stuff. What is the true benefit of doing this? What does it let you change on clutch bell and spur gear count also?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

well yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa buddy
Old 09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

that's what i am talking about
Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I dont completely understand your question but here I go. The benefit from running spiral cut vs straight cut gears is strength. There is more surface contact with helical cut(spiral cut) gears. They also last longer. Now as far as gear ratio changes such as getting a lower internal ratio with the ring and pinions, this offers more gear ratio combinations as well as improved acceleration while retaining a good top speed. I recently just went through this with my mugen buggy. I run a 4.60 ratio in the front and rear then a 16/44 combo on the clutch bell and spur. My final drive comes out to be a 12.65, the car really has good bottom and still a good top speed. The most noticeable feature of having the lower gear ratio is coming out of the turns, it seems that I hardly have to get back in the throttle as compared to running the buggy gears. It is not necessary but if you notice several of the major manufacturers are starting to gear there cars down, the hyper 9, 808, Rc8, HB D8, all these biggies feature a 4.30 internal gear ratio. Even the mbx6 has a new gear ratio but not sure how they did it. Hope this helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you

I new the strength factor, but was not sure on the benefit of gearing and how it worked. I have been contemplating of doing the change, but was not sure if the cost would offset the benefits.

So if I do run the spiral cut gears, what should I do on the clutch bell/spur gear combo? Go bigger on the clutchbell and smaller on the spur gear or vice versa?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

depending what it is you want to gain.

I personally change out my spur gears every so often, depending on track layout. Like for instance, if i raced on a large track, i would run a 50T spur but leave my 13T clutchbell, then if i raced on a small to medium sized track, i would run my 52T spur and my 13T clutchbell.

you can also conserve fuel by gearing your motor to the track setting...

some just change clutchbells, but i found changing my clutchbells to be more of a drastic change, you can do more of fine tuning with your spur gears.

I also noticed some people dont change a thing and leave it as is for every track setting...but change their clutch's instead, or pipes, headers and so on...but just like scale sized racing, they adjust their gearing depending on the track...such as moving from a road course to an oval track like fontana. Certain NASCAR teams will have a TOTALLY different car for certain tracks...and even different drivers!

I understand this is just RC racing, but im sure you can gain the same benefits from what you see and hear from NASCAR, F1 and so on...

it only but makes sense i guess is what i was trying to say LOL some do and some dont...

Last edited by Jesse; 09-03-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

If you decide to run the truck gears in your buggy it is also going to depend on the spur gear your are going to run. No matter if you run the 46 or 48 spur plan on running a bigger clutch bell. If it were me I would start with a 16/46 or 17/46 clutchbell/spur combo. I think the kyosho buggy is lighter than a mugen and would not need as much gear to get moving. the 16/46 would yield a 12.36 final drive and the 17/46 would get you to 11.66. It will take a little trial and error to get it right but I am glad I did it. To find your gear ratio just divide the clutchbell and spur, then divide the pinion by the ring gear, multiply the two totals together and you have your gear ratio. Example 16/46= 2.875, 10/43= 4.30, 4.30x2.875=12.3625
Old 09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

forgot to mention i was referring to my truggy not buggy.