Wiki Posts
Search

Glow Plug Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Glow Plug Recommendations

Its been a long time since I ran 1/8th scale buggy, and I could probably find recommendations on the web, but I think I trust you guys more so than whatever google search brings up. I'm trying to brush up and prepare for the next racing season. I would like to know what plugs people run nowadays on the following engines.

Werks B3 TL Pro
Werks B7 TL Pro
Sirio Evo 3 STI
Mach 26

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

i've been running the med/cold odonnell plugs with good life and performance, 99 and 99t.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

RB #6 and McCoy 59 plugs work pretty good also .
Old 08-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say McCoy 59
Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

i just start driving 1/8 nitro at the start of this year. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the differences between the tuning of a cold and a hot plug. right now i am only using hot plugs.

thanks for the info.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Tech Adept

ttt
Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default excerpt from another site

Here is a guide that will tell you what hot plugs do for you.
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/gloplugs.html

excerpt from the site:

HOT PLUGS

So what is a 'hot' plug, and how does it differ from a 'cold' plug?

Naturally, a hot plug will heat up faster and stay hotter, but that's not the whole story. When discussing this aspect of glow plugs, another very important aspect must be considered, the amount methanol in the fuel. The more methanol we're using (i.e., less oil and less nitro), the hotter the plug we should use. Conversely, the more nitro and/or oil we use, the less methanol we're using, so we use a cool(er) plug. An extreme example would be when using a very high nitro content fuel in a very high RPM engine (a typical ducted fan engine, for example). Here we'd use a very cold plug. For most sport pilots using fuel with just 5-15% nitro, however, a hotter plug would probably do well.

RULES OF THUMB TO LIVE BY

* Use a hot plug with low nitro (less than 24%), and a cold plug with high nitro (more than 25%).
* If you remove the glow starter from you idling engine, and notice an immediate drop in RPM, you may need a hotter plug or more nitro.
* If your engine has a tendency to backfire a lot, you may be using a glow plug that's too hot, or you may need fuel with less nitro.
* Most hot plugs can take up to 2.0 volts starting power without burning up, while most cold plugs prefer 1.2 to 1.5 volts starting power.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheesewhip
Its been a long time since I ran 1/8th scale buggy, and I could probably find recommendations on the web, but I think I trust you guys more so than whatever google search brings up. I'm trying to brush up and prepare for the next racing season. I would like to know what plugs people run nowadays on the following engines.

Werks B3 TL Pro
Werks B7 TL Pro
Sirio Evo 3 STI
Mach 26

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
I (and all the locals just about) run a P3 in the Werks B7... running 30% nitro.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cheesewhip
Here is a guide that will tell you what hot plugs do for you.
http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/gloplugs.html

excerpt from the site:

HOT PLUGS

So what is a 'hot' plug, and how does it differ from a 'cold' plug?

Naturally, a hot plug will heat up faster and stay hotter, but that's not the whole story. When discussing this aspect of glow plugs, another very important aspect must be considered, the amount methanol in the fuel. The more methanol we're using (i.e., less oil and less nitro), the hotter the plug we should use. Conversely, the more nitro and/or oil we use, the less methanol we're using, so we use a cool(er) plug. An extreme example would be when using a very high nitro content fuel in a very high RPM engine (a typical ducted fan engine, for example). Here we'd use a very cold plug. For most sport pilots using fuel with just 5-15% nitro, however, a hotter plug would probably do well.

RULES OF THUMB TO LIVE BY

* Use a hot plug with low nitro (less than 24%), and a cold plug with high nitro (more than 25%).
* If you remove the glow starter from you idling engine, and notice an immediate drop in RPM, you may need a hotter plug or more nitro.
* If your engine has a tendency to backfire a lot, you may be using a glow plug that's too hot, or you may need fuel with less nitro.
* Most hot plugs can take up to 2.0 volts starting power without burning up, while most cold plugs prefer 1.2 to 1.5 volts starting power.
In offroad you want colder plugs for high nitro and hotter plug for low nitro. That site is for airplane engine. The are not tuned to same way as offroad buggy engines. Just like on road engines are tuned different also.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

i found that the hotter the plug the easier the tune. I would run a p3 for turbo or mc59 for standard.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

maybe it's just my luck but I've also noticed that P3's last a long ass time.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys for all this info.