I WANT A TRUGGY! (but which one?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I WANT A TRUGGY! (but which one?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default I WANT A TRUGGY! (but which one?)

Hello chaps, I've recently been talked out of buying myself a buggy, as a truggy seems to be more suited to my needs. The problem now lies in deciding which to buy, as my book of knowledge on truggies (and all things nitro, to be honest) is a little on the thin side.

I will NOT be racing the truggy, and if everything goes according to plan, neither will I be upgrading/modifying it. It is going to be used solely for fun, bashing in the park, running around the street, maybe a few jumps etc. So I'd like it to be as fast as possible, for the cash, and fairly resiliant to smashing into tiny little pieces too.

I'm planning on spending up to around £300 ($530usd). This is really the most I'd like to spend and, due to my inexperience, I'm almost certainly looking for a RTR machine.

The two that have caught my eye so far are the Kyosho Inferno ST, and the Hobao Hyper ST. They are both .28 engines, although I've heard the mac.28 in the Hobao criticized on a few occasions. Are there any other options in this price range? Bigger engines maybe? Faster cars perhaps? Please help!

What would YOU buy?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You may want to consider a 'monster truck' and pose your question in that forum. Most truggies are built more for racing instead of bashing...but they are capable of either and it's your money and your truck. As for RTR the OFNA Hyper ST RTR isn't too bad but if you can wait a month or two then get something really pretty interesting, the Team Associated SC8. The Revo is a tired and true basher that you can run the hell out of and later drop a big block in it and have even more fun.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Mugen Mbx5t. Built to take the Sh*%!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds like you want a RTR because of the 2 you mentioned. Forget the Kyosho ST. I would take a look at the Caster Racing K8T. Very nice truck and will take a beating whether bashing or racing.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

If you want the best truggy on the market buy an ST-RR from Kyosho.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Kyosho st-rr is already nearly £100 over my budget, before i even start to think about engines. I'm pretty sure i said I would be interested in RTR only, I can't seem to find the caster or the mugen on sale at my local hobby shop in England.

I was hoping for a slightly more clear cut answer :P
Old 09-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

the two that i can say i have boughten and liked are the Kyosho Inferno ST and the cen matrix rtr they are both nice although i would say the cen matrix is easier to work on if u ever break it i just had to change the A-arm on my friends inferno and it was very hard becasue they still used those little C clips pain in the butt
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I were going to buy a RTR, I think I would strongly consider the Jammin.

Realize that ANY RTR is going to have some "sub-standard" components to keep the cost down for the manufacturer. Servos are weak, motors are not up to par... radios are as basic as you can get...

The Losi actually has a great motor in the RTR, but the rear ring and pinions wear out really fast... I would avoid that one due to cost to maintain.

Don't know much about the Hyper as the RTR version, but I know the non-RTR is a decent truck.

The Kyosho is a great truck, but again I don't know anything about the RTR.

Another option might be to look for someone either getting out of the hobby and upgrading (look on ebay) and see if you can pick up GOOD gear that is used.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

It seems like there's less to choose from in the UK, unless i'm just looking in the wrong places
Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lawson1024
Hello chaps, I've recently been talked out of buying myself a buggy, as a truggy seems to be more suited to my needs. The problem now lies in deciding which to buy, as my book of knowledge on truggies (and all things nitro, to be honest) is a little on the thin side.

I will NOT be racing the truggy, and if everything goes according to plan, neither will I be upgrading/modifying it. It is going to be used solely for fun, bashing in the park, running around the street, maybe a few jumps etc. So I'd like it to be as fast as possible, for the cash, and fairly resiliant to smashing into tiny little pieces too.

I'm planning on spending up to around £300 ($530usd). This is really the most I'd like to spend and, due to my inexperience, I'm almost certainly looking for a RTR machine.

The two that have caught my eye so far are the Kyosho Inferno ST, and the Hobao Hyper ST. They are both .28 engines, although I've heard the mac.28 in the Hobao criticized on a few occasions. Are there any other options in this price range? Bigger engines maybe? Faster cars perhaps? Please help!

What would YOU buy?
What are the choices at your Local Hobby Shop?
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I would say

1: Jammin X1X-CRT RTR $499
2: HPI Hellfire RTR $569
3: Ofna Hyper ST RTR $$469

Prices from Amain
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...=&keywords=rtr
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I would say

1: Jammin X1X-CRT RTR $499
2: HPI Hellfire RTR $569
3: Ofna Hyper ST RTR $$469

Prices from Amain
http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...=&keywords=rtr
HELLFIRE?!? I would rather buy a redcat. That thing is plagued with so many problems it ain't even funny! WAY OVER PRICED for what you get. If you can pay that then get the Losi!!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Dude.. Really? I have seen some hellfires and they looked good. Aint like he is gonna go racin... Btw the Losi is almost $700 in RTR trim...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to these two now;

Kyosho Inferno ST-US Sports (with the fancy lcd remote and gxr28 engine) - Which is roughly $410

and

The Jammin x1x-crt - Which is $499 and considerably harder to find. May even have to import one, which is probably gonna run me on the shipping.

Is the jammin really THAT much better than the kyosho to make it worth the extra hassle/money?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

your best bet would be the Tamiya TNX it is by far the most low cost, low maintenance truck out there. You can get one from the Tamiya USA website for about $350.00 The only items you'll need are 12 AA battery's and 1 C battery and some fuel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.