Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jumping Strategy?? Place your Input Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Jumping Strategy?? Place your Input Please

Alright, I am wanting to know everyone's strategy to hit and land a jump. I have my own track in my back yard with jumps that are about a foot high. Every time I land them, more often then not I should say, I nose dive. I know a little bit of stuff about jumping, like push the gas to raise the nose and brakes to nose dive, that works more with bigger jumps I believe.

I have lowered my rear shocks and raised my front to try and get that to work and it didn't. I just don't like nose diving and tumbling head over hills every time lol.

Thanks Guys/Gals
Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

It's tough for me to say. I setup my suspention for being on the ground, and use the throttle/brake for the air. But I would try going to a little thicker oil in the front, or thinner in the rear. You can also change the pistins to a smaller hole for more "pack" in the front. Now if I need it to jump farther, I will go to smaller pistons or thicker oil in front and rear, but you need to find the ballance. I'm so use to controling in the air that I don't have to think about it. Sorry, but I hope it helps a little.

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 08-29-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Try letting off the gas just before the face of the jump then get back into it right away. This will help to preload the suspension and give a bit more spring off the jump.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by duratraxrc
Alright, I am wanting to know everyone's strategy to hit and land a jump. I have my own track in my back yard with jumps that are about a foot high. Every time I land them, more often then not I should say, I nose dive. I know a little bit of stuff about jumping, like push the gas to raise the nose and brakes to nose dive, that works more with bigger jumps I believe.

I have lowered my rear shocks and raised my front to try and get that to work and it didn't. I just don't like nose diving and tumbling head over hills every time lol.

Thanks Guys/Gals
This is tough to call since some jumps are made to cause your car to go ass high. But, usually a rear-high car could benefit from a bit more damnpening in the rear to slow the rebound.

Sometimes on small jumps that cause your car to nose dive, you can try hitting it while on the gas and stay on the gas or blip.

It takes time. Reading how to do it and doing it are two different things. Just keep on trying, you'll be a buggy jumping master in no time.

Not sure what you mean by lowering or raising your shocks. If you mean pre-load (ride height adjustment), that won't change how the spring reacts, perse'. If you're nose diving due to the back of the chassis slapping, you can try a slightly stiffer spring in the rear.

As always, try one thing at a time until you 'feel' the buggy changing it's attitude.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

This pretty much explains its.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIEsWBh7ZQ
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
This pretty much explains its.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIEsWBh7ZQ
What is the point of this video ?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Easy BIG guy, just having fun. Don't take it so serious....
Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
Easy BIG guy, just having fun. Don't take it so serious....
I can`t ask a simple question ? What does a video of hitting a girl with truck have to do with the topic , "Big Guy " ?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by boostfiend
This is tough to call since some jumps are made to cause your car to go ass high. But, usually a rear-high car could benefit from a bit more damnpening in the rear to slow the rebound.
Did I state mine backwards? Shoot, I guess I do more controling in the air by throttle/brake. I know I don't think about it when im racing, I just do it. But, I'm finding out that I don't know how I do it.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If the rear end is bottoming out on the face of the jump that will cause the front to nose dive. So by lowering the rear you may be making it even worse. Try putting the shocks back to where they should be for ride height, then raise the rears quite a bit extra. If it helps then you need to change the rear shocks. Like said above, slower dampening might help or just a harder spring. Have fun : )
Try hitting it at half, three quarter, and full throttle. Sometimes just different throttle inputs before the jump help or ruin a jump.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to everyone who helped.

I will try several different inputs tomorrow
Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Briguy
I can`t ask a simple question ? What does a video of hitting a girl with truck have to do with the topic , "Big Guy " ?
PROZAK it will help you
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
Did I state mine backwards? Shoot, I guess I do more controling in the air by throttle/brake. I know I don't think about it when im racing, I just do it. But, I'm finding out that I don't know how I do it.
Rebound is the first I try. Without seeing the track and said car performing on the track - it's a tough tough call. Getting that fine balance before hitting the track can often time be the most difficult.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

have you considered the lip of the jump? if it's not right the buggy will nose dive no matter what you do
Old 08-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroLuver
have you considered the lip of the jump? if it's not right the buggy will nose dive no matter what you do

Yep! You can't tune out track design. Which brings me to one of the greatest lessons I learned racing RC (or SCCA for that matter)

Never tune a car for a specific location of the track. If your car is hooked up for most of the track, you're a step ahead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.