Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What will electric do to nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

do we really RACE 1/8th scale to able to take a nap at the track? or to just drop it and run? i race because i like to tinker with shit..and tweak and tune..sounds like some people just need to buy a slash ?? i dont see nitro going away ..but like others said.. just a new class to race in once more people get big electric cars..if it goes away.. i dont think it will be anytime soon...
Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BigAlz
i dont see nitro going away ..but like others said.. just a new class to race in once more people get big electric cars..if it goes away.. i dont think it will be anytime soon...
Good, I just sold my eight w/v-spec and going to get a 808 and put a RB in it. I just didn't want to get an electric conversion for my new buggy. I love my electric stuff, but love my nitro more.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Tonyscrews posted an interesting comparison between nitro and higher end electric setup which came in about the same in cost for a similar maintenance cycle.

Nitro is not going anywhere. There will always be guys who like to run nitro for a variety of reasons. Wether its tuning or the realism of the engine sound, there will always be something.

That said, plug and play that electric offers combined with the scale that 1/8 offers and durability has the chance to really attract people to the class. Combine that the with the performance of the vehicles, you really have something there.

I am one who personally finds the most enjoyment is actually driving the vehicle. Not tuning the engine, etc. to me, its as Non fun as when I used to "tune" my stock brushed motors for TC on my dyno. I rather be out there just driving.

But for now at least in my area, it may take a bit before electric gains even enough acceptance to be allowed to run in a non-competitive way, let alone a full on class. Is it coming, sure. I can see that as most others can. Just a matter of when, and the when is getting closer for sure.

Best thing for nitro in my opinion would be:

1. Make the engines fire reliably like a 1/5 scale
2. make pipes that silence the noise but still give performance
3. Get more runtime on a tank of fuel since fuel costs are going up
Old 08-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree w/BigAlz, the guys who like nitro and stick w/it are the ones who come out not just to drive their car on the track, but to tune, tinker, and become more involved in the whole experience. We love nitro because it is the closest thing to racing full size, tuning, pitting, getting dirty, ect. How fun would NASCAR, Formula1, NHRA, or (insert your favorite motor sport here) be if all you heard was a big electric vwwweeeeeee?? There is nothing wrong w/electric. There is room in this hobby for both. I used to run electric and hated nitro until I tried it for my self and now my batteries are used in my bump box and nothing else.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Elite

p.s. oh yeah ive raced electric touring and 1 season of electric off road for like the past 5 years... and im on my 1st season owning a truggy...never had a nitro car before.. im not so much missing electric.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I love the smell, noise, the things that make nitro, nitro. U must tune all kinds of things with nitro, makes it more fun. All my motors fire rite over, always. I have all the power Ill ever need. And i just love that I can fill up a tank and be gone.

And i swear, some brushless people are so cocky. "My brushless car can beat your car no problem its so cool and better than your car"

I think thats childish, and gonna do nothing for the sport. Idc what your dang car can do, just beat me, THEN brand about how awesome your car is. Its just dumb and annoying.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Don Duct
Additionally nitro cars have way more control in the air.
I disagree here. My electric 8T has outstanding mid-air controllability. I have been entertaining some of my racing buddies with the ability to almost do a back flip and hit the brakes to flip back around and land. The torq and breaking characteristics of the brushless motors are so phenomenal.

Originally Posted by Edumakated
You can buy lipos for $100 bucks a pop now... just gotta know where to shop. ... I can get 25 minutes with a 1700kv motor and a 5s 5000 lipo.
Please do 'edumakate' us on where to find quality C lipos (ex. 5s 5000 mAh) for $100? That would be a great deal!

I got back into this hobby about a year ago. I quickly jumped on the brushless band wagon after getting fed up with wearing through clutches. I did my own custom conversion and am the first and only to run electric at my local track. After I got the kinks worked out, it absolutely toasts. I 2nd whoever said that there is not a nitro out there that can touch it. Although its tough to control, it is very fast. However, I just recently purchased a nitro and have been running that most. I don't like charging lipos at 1C (thats approx an hour given any sized battery) Also the smell of nitro is ABSOLUTELY ADDICTIVE. I could take or leave the sound, but that damned smell. It reminds me of my motocross days. I will always run a nitro now, but I use my electric to experiment.

As far as the cost comparisons, I think most are all off base. You have to look at all the other things that electric lets you get rid of. Less wear and tear due to spilled fuel, clutches don't wear out, not as much vibration etc. Electric cost more initially, but providing the speed control, motor, and batteries do what they claim, it will be cheaper in the long run. Ofcourse, you will probably spend more in chassis parts because you can't keep from running into the curb when you are showing off to your friends =)
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing
I love the smell, noise, the things that make nitro, nitro. U must tune all kinds of things with nitro, makes it more fun. All my motors fire rite over, always. I have all the power Ill ever need. And i just love that I can fill up a tank and be gone.

And i swear, some brushless people are so cocky. "My brushless car can beat your car no problem its so cool and better than your car"

I think thats childish, and gonna do nothing for the sport. Idc what your dang car can do, just beat me, THEN brand about how awesome your car is. Its just dumb and annoying.

rite...beating u with a motor they just bolted in... at least with a brushed motor there is tunning envolved ...
Old 08-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Adept

Nitro is for the mechanics and maintainers... (<-- true hobbiest)

Electric is for the drivers... (<-- innovators and those that just like to drive)

Beating electrics with nitros, well...
Thats for the professional.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Larks
Nitro is for the mechanics and maintainers... (<-- true hobbiest)

Electric is for the drivers... (<-- innovators and those that just like to drive)

Beating electrics with nitros, well...
Thats for the professional.

ROLFL AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

+1

I agree. I love my nitro. Part of nitro is maintaining it. Tearing it down, finding whats broke/bent/dirty and fixing it. I've never said nitro is BETTER than electric. BUT to me it is. Everyone one has there own opinion and mine is nitro is here to stay. I believe that when electric 1/8ths get bigger, nitro car counts will go down, but thats another argument. I won't leave my nitro on the shelf. I will admit it is EXPENSIVE but its fun. Just remember you can always spend your money in worst places!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ROTFL Yeah let's see the electrics run for an hour long main and still be clean..... and not have bent /broken /mangled parts. About the only thing I see that might be a bit different is the smeg from the exhaust and spilt fuel.
Speedos fry and batteries go up in smoke if geared wrong, and the drive train gets totally torchered from a lack of a slipper type clutch. Batteries are expensive, speedos are as well. Then you need a good powersupply and chargers. Gad zukes!! This crap is expensive!! But on the good side one little mistake (like airfilter missing a ziptie) and your nitro engine is a paper weight!!
But same errors can be made with electrics too . Wrong gearing choice and your motor could go up in smoke or your speedo or both !
I don't see electric 1/8th as an issue as of yet so I wouldn't sweat it .
Old 08-31-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Adept

electric is for those lazy guys who dont like to play with their cars or for a loner/basher so your "real" car doesnt ger broken
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larks
Please do 'edumakate' us on where to find quality C lipos (ex. 5s 5000 mAh) for $100? That would be a great deal!

One link: www.hobbycity.com

A lot of it is cheap junk, but the Zippy-H 4S 5000 pack I got (they call it 20C-30C) for $85 (+ $15 shipping if you buy nothing else) has been my best pack to date, and you'll find similar praising on other sites for most of the Zippy packs. Lasts about 20 mins in my RC8.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I am hoping the price of nitro fuel comes down soon. I just bought a gallon last thursday and i paid $41 for that gallon. I feel if this price doesn't come down soon, people will start to look at a going electric. I don't what to see this happen has nitro is just what this hobby is all about. the complete package of car tuning.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the 5s 5000 are 107 each from hobbycity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.