Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fioroni twin turbo issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default Fioroni twin turbo issues.

I know this has been commented on several times, however I didn't find the answer I was needing. So here it goes...

I had a friend loan me a Fioroni twin turbo clutch to try out on a RB C6BB. I liked it so much I bought one. When I tried to install the new one, I could not get the flywheel nut to tighten enough to get the flywheel secure (and yes I understand the nut is unidirectional). At a closer look I noticed that the collet I was using was causing the nut to prematurely tighten (the collet stuck through the front of the flywheel and hit the nut). I thought this was odd as it was the same collet I used from my friends setup. At closer inspection, I noticed that the new flywheel was thinner then the one my friend had loaned me. I did some research, and found good information (on these forums) that confirmed my suspicions that the collet was too large. I then found a smaller one. The one that came with my Losi 8T truggy. It tightened the flywheel alright, however then it caused the flywheel to contact the engine and so it wouldn't turn. Evidently this collet was too small. I found one last collet that happend to be in between the other two. I installed and it seemed to fit alright, however with the flywheel nut tightened all the way, I can still cause the flywheel to turn without the engine (although it takes some force). I am kinda particular and do not feel comfortable racing this setup. Am I missing something here? Should I use a small washer to shim the collet away from the engine face? If so, what kind of shim will fit the larger part of the engine shaft? Or perhaps there is a specific collet I should be using with this setup. Maybe I have the wrong flywheel altogether. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I belong to a lot of r/c forums. rctech.net is BY FAR the best online community for getting good answers quickly. KUDOS, and thanks.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yeah just shim out the collet

bunch of companies have shim kits..ofna, kyosho, AE
Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Tech Adept

K, Thanks.
One more question:
I purchased the dynamite piston lock tool. It screws into the glow plug hole and stops the piston. It doesn't fit my engine. Seems that it is not only threaded different but entirely the wrong diameter. Is there one that works with the rb engines with turbo plugs? Does someone have a better way of locking the piston for flywheel installation?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

locking tools are a bad idea, IMO

take out the glow plug (make sure the piston is higher than the exhaust port) and fill the engine with after run oil, and reinstall the plug to 'hydro-lock' it...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

i always just hold the flywheel with channels locks and never have a problem...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

I do the channel locks as well, or actually my 'Robo-Grips' that have rubber guards. This however does not work if the flywheel does not tighten properly. I was trying to do this when the engine would simply turn over while I was holding the flywheel in place.

The hydro-lock is a great idea. I wonder if there are any negatives to it.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

I use channel locks on the flywheel, but in the rare occasion I've had to use a handle part of a toothbrush in the crankshaft. (take the back cover off).
Old 08-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Larks
K, Thanks.
One more question:
I purchased the dynamite piston lock tool. It screws into the glow plug hole and stops the piston. It doesn't fit my engine. Seems that it is not only threaded different but entirely the wrong diameter. Is there one that works with the rb engines with turbo plugs? Does someone have a better way of locking the piston for flywheel installation?
I take it you have a turbo plug motor. The dynamite tool is for standard plug motors only. I would not advise using it either way.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's a good idea to place a shim before installing the collet anyway. It spreads the load placed on the front bearing.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Larks...just sand down the collet to the thickness of the flywheel and 'score' the flywheel a little so the collet will grip the flywheel better and prevent it from slipping...worked for me and I love how the clutch engages and life of the shoes and clutch bearing.