R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Losi Red Eclipse tires blowing off wheel? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/238887-losi-red-eclipse-tires-blowing-off-wheel.html)

rallyebmx 08-24-2008 07:50 PM

Losi Red Eclipse tires blowing off wheel?

Anybody finding problems keeping these glued to the wheel? My friend and I are both experienced and meticulous with our 1/8 buggies. He switched to the Losi red Eclipse tires and had blow outs 2 consecutive weekends! I cant remember having a blow out in all my years of racing, and today after trying Losi red Eclipse tires had just 1 blow completly off! They were performing great, no partial blow off that I noticed. Then it was just gone!:confused:
My friends method was: clean wheel and tire with acetone and Losi thin or med glue. I sand wheel and tire always,clean with degreaser and use OFNA thin glue. He was using Losi wheels and I used OFNA. We both never have problems with any other brand we've used:confused:(Panther, Pro-line, etc)http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...lyebmx/040.jpg

looneytune 08-24-2008 08:15 PM

I had a set of red step pins premounts that came unglued and now the new LPR blue step pins premounts are coming apart. Looks like Losi can't make them stick either.

rallyebmx 08-24-2008 08:22 PM

Huh, wierd:confused: Crappy thing is, they do stick to our track well and the price is great:):rolleyes:

looneytune 08-24-2008 08:46 PM

The Step Pins work great on both of the local tracks in my area. The LPR Step Pins seemed even better until one started coming apart. I haven't tried the Eclipses yet, but was thinking of getting a set. I won't buy them if they can't keep them stuck to the rim though. I'm terrible at gluing tires, the only thing that ever sticks for certain is my fingers to the next thing I touch.

SteveJa 08-24-2008 08:59 PM

I have had problems with the losi XBT as wells..... when the tire comes off the rim you can see rubber all the way around the rim.... like if you where to peel the rubber off and a small film of it is glued to the rim....

so yes... have had this problem as will...... also with the eclipse... but I did not glue them..... but same problem....

looneytune 08-24-2008 09:28 PM

The stock Losi Race Roller tires came unglued within 5 minutes when I tried them. Thanks for reminding me about that set.:weird: I have ProLine and GRP premounts also and none of those have ever started to come unglued.

boostfiend 08-24-2008 11:19 PM

hehe, I thought I made a mistake gluing them. After re-guling them, I've yet to have another problem. Still, the vibration was bad enough to bend a half shaft.

Excellent performing tires though.

rallyebmx 08-25-2008 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by boostfiend (Post 4770977)
Excellent performing tires though.

I agree! I posted in hopes somebody had a 'magic' solution:rolleyes:

cjm1126 08-25-2008 06:03 AM

i used to run premounts, i had the prolines and they blew off the rim to, i just buy the losi off road glue kit that comes with the glue and the straw and the rubber bands, and sand the rims and tires and clean them with alcohol and they never come off if you take those steps

lovell 08-25-2008 06:04 AM

ralleybmx...I use a dremel with a sanding drum to scuff the wheels...I use electric motor spray to clean the release agent off the tires and the rims after scuffing them...I have been using Losi thin for a few years with no problems...never had a tire come off the rim!..I never use glueing bands to glue my tires...I mount the tire on rim...then start by glueing at 12:00, then move to 6:00, then 3:00, and then 9:00...after the four corners are done I glue between the unglued areas and done...only holding for a couple of seconds at each glue spot.

C.R.

lovell 08-25-2008 06:07 AM

IMO...Acetone is a no no for cleaning tires and rims before glueing...I use acetone to unglue my tires at times...Acetone softens glue

rallyebmx 08-25-2008 06:25 AM

Hey C.R., thanks. Sam, me and I think Chuck have all experienced this problem with just Losi tires.

oldschoolracer 08-25-2008 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovell (Post 4771654)
IMO...Acetone is a no no for cleaning tires and rims before glueing...I use acetone to unglue my tires at times...Acetone softens glue

once the acetone has evaporated/dried, which is like next to instantaneous, what difference does it make?

Matt M. 08-25-2008 06:56 AM

i would not use acetone either....

motor spray, make sure the rubber is clean, use losi rims, however with the other companys making larger rims, you can use them....

i have used mine all season with no problems....

rallyebmx 08-25-2008 07:06 AM

So this doesnt get off topic.....Acetone as a cleaner was used just in one case. Besides, he always does it that way and never has problems. I was just wanting to know if others had experienced this and found a certain glue or whatever......