Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with HPI Savage X 4.6 2 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Problem with HPI Savage X 4.6 2 speed

Hi and thanks for reading this thread, recently i brought the HPI Savage X 4.6 and ran it for 4-7 tanks of fuel and in that time period the car changed into second gear with no hassle. Now when i run it will still be going in first gear at high revs and will not change up. In this time ive replaced a couple of spur gear's and just fitted a brand new transmission but it still wont budge I'm not sure if ive worn the slutch shoes away in this time.
If you can be of any help i will be very greatful. Thanks, Scott.

Last edited by Skyline08; 08-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

If you've replaced the entire transmission, are you certain that you adjusted the 2-speed properly?
Old 08-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

There are usually two things that will keep that type of two-speed from shifting properly - incorrect setting of the two-speed, or a poor mixture setting. The adjustment of the two-speed is accomplished by increasing or decreasing the tension on the spring in the two-speed assembly - tightening the adjustment screw (clockwise) results in a later shift point, and loosening the screw makes the transmission shift earlier. Be sure that it's not so loose that it's shifting into second gear straight away, or that it's so tight that it can't shift at all.

Before adjusting the tranmission, however, I would be sure that you have a proper fuel mixture setting. This type of two-speed transmission requires proper acceleration as much as it does revs to enable a shift. when the engine is running poorly (too rich most often) it won't accelerate well and shift to second gear is greatly delayed, if it happens at all. So, check the main needle setting first, then adjust the transmission.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Another thing put the lever/cam in backwards or forget to put the pins in that for in the gear for the lever to catch for 2nd gear.

If you think its together right loosen the sdj screw out to make it shift sooner