Wiki Posts
Search

RB Concept S3,S5 or Novarossi N21B

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default RB Concept S3,S5 or Novarossi N21B

I was considering buying a new RB concept engine based on their durability and performance. I would be using the engine on a buggy on an indoor track.

Would the S3 have good enough performance or should I get the S5?

Would a Dynamite 086 pipe be a good pipe to use on either of these engines.

I was also considering a Novarossi N21B engine. How does this engine compare to the S3 and S5? My main concern with the N21B, is it has a metal carb.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All three run great. I really like the S3. It runs really well for such an inexpensive motor. If you find you need more horsepower, get a good modder to rework it for you and it will run with almost anything.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have the novarossi 3 port and it is awsome i had problems with the carb that came with it and i put the carb from my rb s5 on it and it works perfectly now the rb s3 should be pretty much the same engine
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brianr34
I was considering buying a new RB concept engine based on their durability and performance. I would be using the engine on a buggy on an indoor track.

Would the S3 have good enough performance or should I get the S5?

Would a Dynamite 086 pipe be a good pipe to use on either of these engines.

I was also considering a Novarossi N21B engine. How does this engine compare to the S3 and S5? My main concern with the N21B, is it has a metal carb.
I run the S3 it is an excellent engine. If you are a rookie it is perfect ease of tuning holds a tune like it's in a vise. Has outstanding bottom end and mids. I actually geared mine up for more top end. Run a RB pipe generally speaking best pipes for most engines is the one thats made for them. I run the 2045 it is a great performer. Started out running the JP2 and maybe it was me but it seemed to make the engine run hot. If you visit RB's website they will tell you JP's are not the best pipe for the RB. They have a tendancy to make the engine run hotter. Even if your a vet you will find this engine to be more than adequate and not to mention it's an RB they are quality.

Main drawback that I found was that the break in process actually took about a Gallon +. However when it finally was broke Daaaammnnn she flew. I am approaching the 6 Gallon mark and this engine is still screaming. I followed the manufactures breakin guide worked excellent for me. I dont want to get into a heat cyclying vs other methods.

If you happen to get one remember get the bottom end tuned 1st. It should load up after 10-20 seconds. keep the bottom on the rich side. Onec you do this you can basically call your temp by leaning or richening the hsn. Can guess my temp with in 5 degrees. Dang I love this engine.

Before any nay sayers jump in there are other good engines out there. I just found this one to perform with ease.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

all are italian motors, can't go wrong. but the Rb engines last longer than anyothers I have run. go with the S5 for the added power. I had an s-7 that lasted well over 14 gallons, without any replaced parts. if I'm not mistaken, it's still running!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The 086 is probably the best power pipe but will be illegal for roar races starting next year. A 2045 or 2013 is probably the best of the legal pipes.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i would get the s3, 3 ports are great engines, i have run a crono rs3 for a back up which is a novarossi 3 port, i turn quicker laps with it, then my high end engines, and the 3 ports are super easy to tune, i run the associated 2035 on that engine
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1 on the RB S3

I have one and it screams! Very reliable engine! at 1 1/2 gallons all I have done is replace the front bearing with a ceramic one (due to a lil leaking)...
I am thinking about throwing a con rod at it soon.
Yeah the RB line of engines seem to like the bottom end a "hair" fat but once you get this set it its easy from there, tune the top for temp and or performance... Just make sure theres smoke!

I use the 7mm carb insert and run a JP3 pipe but am considering the 2045 I have layin around...

I have heard the 2020 RB pipe is excellent too...

1 last thing, its an excellent deal for the money!

Last edited by thecman26; 08-25-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Tech Initiate

I run the n21b and love it.
I have run both an 086 and 2035 pipe and was happy with the performance. The 086 really woke up the top end and the 2035 gave me a little more punch out of corners.
The engine is really smooth and holds a tune very well.
Couldn't be happier!

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those you mentioned. The n21b, s3, and s5 all perform exceptionally well for the money. Build quality is great, so longevity is going to be there too.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Tech Initiate

i bought my buggy used and it has a s3 in it and i was wondering if running a turbo plug would hurt anything or shouyld it have a turbo plug anyways