Wiki Posts
Search

upgrading to a lipo RX pack

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default upgrading to a lipo RX pack

I have been thinking about switching up my RX pack from a standard to a lipo pack. I have a question though, will switching make my servo speed a little faster? I swore I read a lipo pack works at a little higher voltage than the standard. Can someone tell me the benefits and drawbacks of switching to lipo. Can someone also recommend a decent charger that wont break the bank.

If all goes as plan, I will switch my starter box over to lipo as well
Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Making the switch to lipo will make your servo speed faster and improve the torque especially if you run them direct (without a voltage regulator). You will have to make sure your servos and receiver can handle the extra voltage. I think you won't gain much servo performance using a 6 volt regulator though.

I use a 7 volt regulator from HT Batteries and the increse in servo performance is really noticable.

http://www.htbatteries.com/Public_html/Rx%20Packs.htm

There are only a few servos that can handle the 7.4 volts directly. Hitec being one of them.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Good to know.....I run Hitec servos
Old 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wild gopher
Good to know.....I run Hitec servos
Don't take what Tree said as being that ALL Hitec servos can handle 7.4V. Only a few select models can handle the higher voltage...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
Don't take what Tree said as being that ALL Hitec servos can handle 7.4V. Only a few select models can handle the higher voltage...

Very true.

what truck are u planning on adding the lipo too wild gopher ?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I've running Lipo since last fall and have been very happy with the ProTech (Amain Brand) stuff. I would reccomend running a regulator regaurdless of what your servos can "handle". I just run my regulator between the switch and receiver. You can put the regulator in the batty box or if the box is tight like the on the 8 your can mount the regulator on the top of the receiver box. This is better becuase you can see the LED lights.

Here's the Regulator:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13509

Here's the battery: (They have a couple of different styles, this is the one I run)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13508

As for the Charger I would get a good balancing charger that charges throught the balancing plug. There is one made by Tenergy that does this, it also gives you the individual voltages of each cell. You may also see this charger co-branded by Common Sense RC.. A friend of mine has this charger and it will be my next investment.... Here's a link you may also find it cheaper at other stores, occasionally I've seen it on Ebay too: http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1644
Old 08-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wild gopher
I have been thinking about switching up my RX pack from a standard to a lipo pack. I have a question though, will switching make my servo speed a little faster? I swore I read a lipo pack works at a little higher voltage than the standard. Can someone tell me the benefits and drawbacks of switching to lipo. Can someone also recommend a decent charger that wont break the bank.

If all goes as plan, I will switch my starter box over to lipo as well
The advantage is that the servos will get consistent voltage. making the servos feel the same the whole heat. Don't buy the protex regulators!
They SUCK! I'm now trying the Castle Creations regulator.

OH yeah i would get the checkpoint charger..
Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tree
Making the switch to lipo will make your servo speed faster and improve the torque especially if you run them direct (without a voltage regulator). You will have to make sure your servos and receiver can handle the extra voltage. I think you won't gain much servo performance using a 6 volt regulator though.

I use a 7 volt regulator from HT Batteries and the increse in servo performance is really noticable.

http://www.htbatteries.com/Public_html/Rx%20Packs.htm

There are only a few servos that can handle the 7.4 volts directly. Hitec being one of them.
Lipo will not make it your servo's any faster but they will deliver a constant voltage so the speed will be the same for the entire lipo charge. A NiMH or NiCd will be the same speed initially but slow down as the pack discharges this is due to the voltage dropping.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

I am using lipo this year and it is great. I can charge the pack at home and it will last me a night of racing. a few practice tanks 3 quals and a 15 min main.

I am using the Losi regulator

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/16549

And a protek pack for the 808.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/15789
Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

I've been using lipo for a couple of months now and highly recomend them... That being said, I recommend using a regulator, as a fully charged lipo puts out over 8.4 volts... even if your servos can handle this voltage, it will shorten there life span!

Oh, i'm using a Novak regulator, Protek flat pack and an i-max charger with good results!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for all the replies. I plan on using this in my 8T. However, after going to my LHS to check out Lipo's, I saw an Xray XT8 sitting there smiling at me. I used to run Xray and I scratch my head sometimes and wonder why I changed.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Me and my race buddy just made the switch to Lipos in buggy and transmitter.
We both are running the Pro Tek pack and the Pro Tek regulator. Local has been running the Pro Tek regulator with good luck so we gave it a shot.
Servo speed isnt really faster, but will stay at the constant peak speed since its getting 6V from beginning to end of the heat usually.
Biggest benefit for me I think is the transmitter. I hated plugging in my 3PK after every heat. No I can go like 3wks to a month before a charge on the transmitter.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

ive felt the weight difference on a tx as well.....it is so light
Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've just made the switch to lipo in both my txs - was using 2300Sanyos, now 3300 3S ProTek. Lipo is lighter and lasts much longer between charges as others have pointed out. I'm headed toward lipo for rx pacs also, but will wait for my NiMH pacs to fade, they're still pretty new.

As far as a charger, I use lipo in my BL conversions so I have a solid charger that will charge and balance all my lipo. If you'e jusyt looking for a lipo capable charger for rx pac, something like this will work and is inexpensive -

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/22612