Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes.. >

New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Losi 1:8 buggy next year?? word is yes..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

most of the 8's I have seen have slop in them when brand new. Just make a couple of noticeable changes and better parts and it will sell
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Adept

Couple of quick comments:

Yes you can turn down your radios throttle, or better yet, change the throttle curve in your speed control. However, if you make the car 'controllable' then there is simply no advantage over nitro, except perhaps less maintenance.

There is still a lot of design work that goes into setting up a brushless vehicle. You can't simply grab a motor, battery, and speed control and get to racing. If so, you will be commenting on these forums about your MMM going up in smoke.

Driving electric takes an entirely different driving style. There is tons more power, torq, and acceleration available. However, most peoples setups are, IMHO, not setup well enough to utilize most of it. This means that unused power goes to heating things up.

As far as racing with nitros, the advantage is clear that a slower driver will be able to make up time on nitros in the straight aways, and possible by taking jumps that only the best nitros can carry the speed through turns and successfully take. However, if a driver is able to dominate with an electric, he would also be dominating with a nitro. They require entirely different driving styles, but there is more to racing the speed and acceleration. I have been doing things to slow my truggy down for months just so I can control it. Remember, its not speed that wins an offroad race. It is AVERAGE speed.

Thats how I see it anyway.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

If the "new eight" is real. How soon after the worlds can we see it in the hobby stores?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Man I hope its not a new buggy cause I just bought one like a week ago. If anything I hope they are just minor changes for improvment so that the parts can be made into a conversion kit to keep the existing buggys up to date without blowing a ton of money on a whole knew chassis design. There is no need for a new buggy I think. If anybody hears anything about what the scoop on this rumor I would like to know cause I was planning on buying parts for the current 8ight. I don't want to waste money on something thats going to be discontinued because I am on a budget.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

I put mine on E-bay (ran into money problems). I'm sure I can afford a new one in two or three months, and it would be nice to get a "Worlds edition". Even though mine was only 1 month old.

If anyone is interested..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230285054852

Last edited by jrwoodchuck; 08-27-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antone
Man I hope its not a new buggy cause I just bought one like a week ago. If anything I hope they are just minor changes for improvment so that the parts can be made into a conversion kit to keep the existing buggys up to date without blowing a ton of money on a whole knew chassis design. There is no need for a new buggy I think. If anybody hears anything about what the scoop on this rumor I would like to know cause I was planning on buying parts for the current 8ight. I don't want to waste money on something thats going to be discontinued because I am on a budget.
I have a feeling Losi won't be coming out with a brand new buggy. The new Late Model uses many of the same parts as the 8ight. It would be foolish for Horizon/Losi to produce a full line of new parts. Especially when the 8ight is doing so well on the 'pro' scene.

I think you got it right. My guess is it'll be the "national edition" or something, unless the 8ight is the IFMAR champ, then it'll be the 'worlds edition'. Aluminum servo saver arm, aluminum adjustable pivots, TFT chassis, Red Eclipse tires... maybe a couple more hop-ups. Perhaps even a "Mike Truhe Edition" ... It would be nice to get all their hop-ups AND the parts they replace in one package.

Going back to the Losi JRX-Pro (90), which was an updated version of the JRX2...(88) then came the JRX-Pro SE (91), which was the same as the JRX-PRO except it used the Jr chassis (which started the plastic/composite chassis thing). I believe it was the JRX-PROse that used the Fluid slipper, then they went to the friction slipper soon after that. Minor changes that were team tested on a good design. (dates are rough guesses from memory)

All in all, the car was basicly the same from 1989 to 1992 or so, with minor changes.

I know it's quite expensive to tool the moulds for parts and I'd imagine it's not cheap to program a CNC machine either. Plus, there simply hasn't been enough time to fully test a new design.

Then again, my comments are pure speculation. We'll have to wait and see!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM
Tech Initiate

It would make more sense for Losi from a business point of view to release a World's Edition and rely on that for a while...until the R/D is done for a new platform.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Dont forget that the xx4 is over 10 years old and that is still used today as it is better over the rough stuff than the newer buggy that was going to replace is.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Walters
SLOP!

And poor ON-power steering
Originally Posted by boostfiend
Really? I keep hearing about the slop thing, but after a season of racing, I've yet to experience this.

As far as "poor on power steering" - can't comment there either. I can turn on a dime. On or off power.
yea i have slop in my front end but if you just replace the ackermen you will be good to go.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarleyMf2
yea i have slop in my front end but if you just replace the ackermen you will be good to go.
Still using the stock ackerman bar and have yet to have a problem. Then again, I only have about 3 gallons on this buggy.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

More slop in the steering is better in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 AM
Tech Champion

Question. Would the new 8ight-E electric race roller be considered a new vehicle or not?

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSA0803
Old 08-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Tech Champion

Question. Would the new 8ight-E electric race roller be considered a new buggy or not?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by air8
Question. Would the new 8ight-E electric race roller be considered a new buggy or not?

I suppose it IS a new car, but that doesn't explain RCCA's comment about Truhe. Perhaps they got it wrong.

Losi stays pretty tight lipped. ...then again, if they put out that a new nitro buggy was coming, I imagine the sales for the 8ight would nearly stop.

As it is; I'm not buying any planned hop ups at this time because of the 'rumor mill'.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by boostfiend
I suppose it IS a new car, but that doesn't explain RCCA's comment about Truhe. Perhaps they got it wrong.
Uh....I guess I don't know what the comments were. Care to elaborate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.