R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Air Leaks-----How do you check for them... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/237906-air-leaks-how-do-you-check-them.html)

RobbieS 08-18-2008 08:03 PM

Air Leaks-----How do you check for them...

As the title says. I don't need to hear how to seal an engine or anything. I want to know how you can test for them and identify them. I don't necessarily think I have one but I would like to make sure.

wes95_z28 08-18-2008 08:14 PM

Everytime you run it you should check for a leak, they are easy to find. Just look for a wet, greasy or spot where allot of dirty gunk builds up on the motor. Thats where the leak will be.

If the motor is clean in all areas you should be good to go.

Steve Walters 08-18-2008 08:14 PM

While the motor is running (Idle) lightly spray a nitro cleaner around the case, carb and black plate. IF the motor instantly dies, it has a air leak. Keep it away of the air filter. The fumes can kill it too...

turnpike_cruise 08-22-2008 06:04 AM

OS 18TM stalls

I have a Revo with an OS 18TM. The engine will start and idle for quite a while. However, when I try to drive it, it will go about 20 feet and then die. I was thinking air leak, but I am not sure.

I swapped the exhaust, fuel tank, and replaced fuel line. The one thing I am noticing is when the truck dies, the fuel line is empty. I am loosing prime for some reason.

Would this be a result of an air leak around the carb?

Thanks,
-dave

pooldoc 08-22-2008 06:28 AM

Possibly an air leak, more likely needle settings.

vti-chris 08-22-2008 07:06 AM

I never check for air leaks...i just make sure i don't have any by using red silicone everywhere.
-Back plate
-Carb neck
-Carb boot
-Crank collet
-and finally white teflon tape around the threads of all carb needles.

This way you KNOW that if it doesn't run-tune, it's NOT because of air leaks.

RobbieS 08-22-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by vti-chris (Post 4763835)
I never check for air leaks...i just make sure i don't have any by using red silicone everywhere.
-Back plate
-Carb neck
-Carb boot
-Crank collet
-and finally white teflon tape around the threads of all carb needles.

This way you KNOW that if it doesn't run-tune, it's NOT because of air leaks.

I'm not into the whole sealing up my motor with rtv thing. I acquired a motor from someone who had and it was just a pain to do any maintenance on.

I do like the teflon tape for needles that might be just a touch loose. It will definitely help keep them in place.

j_blaze14 08-26-2008 05:15 PM

1. remove motor from car
2. install 6" piece of fuel line onto carb
3. spray motor with simple green
4. listen and look for bubbles, theres your leak.

**it is normal for the front bearing to leak a very minute amount when the motor is cold. **

smb17 08-26-2008 08:17 PM

use soapy water and a brush. put fuel line on the hsn and blow while holding the intake and exhaust ports. Brush the soapy water on areas of concern.