R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Whats all the Buzz about these SERVO's??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/237364-whats-all-buzz-about-these-servos.html)

tenpins77 08-15-2008 10:35 AM

Whats all the Buzz about these SERVO's???

Hey all,

Recently i got ahold of a mugen mbx5r, im not sure if this is the servo or my error, however i noticed an extremly annoying buzzzz sound comming from my Throttle Futaba Servo. If i push the servo to the full brakes position and then back to neutral the buzz goes away, but the miniute i hit the throttle its back, and annoying, very annyoing. However if i take the servo horn/harness off the buzzzzzz goes away? Is this because its a high torqure digital throttle servo??? Or did i once again screw something up???

Also, how can i adjust the amount of brakes on the Mugen Mbx5r? Turn those silver screws with set screws closer or farther away?

thanks for the help guys,

tim

t0adman 08-15-2008 10:40 AM

Higher end digital servos have a tendency to make some noise and be jittery or "nervous" as some call them. Both my throttle/brake and steering servos have some of these symptoms. Can you hear the noise when your buggy is ripping around the track? :D

desertbird 08-15-2008 10:41 AM

Digital servos buzz with the slightest resistance placed upon them.

LVBaja 08-15-2008 10:42 AM

Sounds like your linkage is binding just enough to keep stress on the servo. Because you said it goes away after letting up on the brakes, I'm going to assume it's binding on the throttle side. If you don't already have a throttle return spring on the carb, try that so that your servo doesn't have to do the work of pushing the throttle back to idle position.

jpalessi 08-15-2008 10:45 AM

your digital throttle servo shouldn't make noise at neutral. When your servo is whining it's trying to center itself. You want your servo to work with you not against you..

jpalessi 08-15-2008 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LVBaja (Post 4742383)
Sounds like your linkage is binding just enough to keep stress on the servo. Because you said it goes away after letting up on the brakes, I'm going to assume it's binding on the throttle side. If you don't already have a throttle return spring on the carb, try that so that your servo doesn't have to do the work of pushing the throttle back to idle position.

+1

Allumina 08-15-2008 10:47 AM

Digital servos are constantly adjusting and centering themselves when any amount of imput is put into them. When the servo is neutral [i.e. you're not making any movement with your remote] they won't make any noise [maybe occasionally one little noise or so, but nothing like when they have imput]

One thing I can't stress enough though, make SURE your endpoint are properly set on both servos though. Modern servos are so powerful that if your servo is set to "continue to turn" past what your linkgae will allow, and you continue to hold it [i.e. if your throttle servo is trying to open past W.O.T.] it can cause serious damage to your servos, with a high change of burning them out.

Inside_Line 08-15-2008 10:48 AM

All newer digital servos make noise, normally it sounds like a wining sound. The servo is continuously trying to stay centered, and it takes just a little power to keep it in that position. So what you are hearing is the actual motor centering itself. It used to bother me too but you get used to it, and learn to use it as an indicator that your car is still ON. The main cause is the throttle spring pressure pushing back against the servos center position. The sound is normal for digital servos, so don't worry too much.

- Rule # 1 on digital servos.. NEVER leave your digital servos on when not running, always kill the power after running immediately.

The good thing about digital servos is they offer a very precise holding power and are really strong. You will get used to it eventually..

:nod:

You could also try the new brushless servos, they don't wine as much.

Inside_Line 08-15-2008 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Allumina (Post 4742402)
Digital servos are constantly adjusting and centering themselves when any amount of imput is put into them. When the servo is neutral [i.e. you're not making any movement with your remote] they won't make any noise [maybe occasionally one little noise or so, but nothing like when they have imput]

One thing I can't stress enough though, make SURE your endpoint are properly set on both servos though. Modern servos are so powerful that if your servo is set to "continue to turn" past what your linkgae will allow, and you continue to hold it [i.e. if your throttle servo is trying to open past W.O.T.] it can cause serious damage to your servos, with a high change of burning them out.

+1 on EPA settings... I forgot to mention that. ;)

Allumina 08-15-2008 10:53 AM

Also yeah like they said above me, I couldnt tell from your description whether or not the servos are making noise at neutral, if they are, a few things:

-Check to make sure your throttle return spring isnt "pulling" the carb closed further than the "neutral" setting on your servo. If it is, you need to adjust with your radio so that a neutral your throttle is closed all the way against your idle needle. If you can't get it exact, get it "just past completely closed" and adjust the extra out with the collar holding the spring on the throttle servo linkage.

-also check to see how much "slack" is in the brake side of your linkage, you may have to adjust that

2005 crf 450 08-15-2008 01:26 PM

does your servo sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0paqQ8r5ygo

butch man 08-15-2008 06:03 PM

All digital servos buzz when under a very slight load,at least everyone I have seen.Throttle servos buzz because their trying to center against the return spring & steering servos buzz because the actual hubs havent centered after you turned or bumped the wheels or setup fixtures if using them.The only way to stop throttle servo buzzing is relieve tention on the spring & for steering just push the car down a few times.If you do a search on this & other sites you'll find this awnser a couple hundred times.You didnt do anything wrong(unless return spring is way too tight)& condition is normal.Difference between & reason why old school servos dont do itis steps.old school servos have about a hundred step resolution & modern digital servos have about 5000 step resolution,I dont remember the exact #s but you can find them on line easy enough.

Point is dont let it bum you out its normal, as long as your T/B return springs not too toght.