R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Tools (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/236731-tools.html)

ruggydriver 08-11-2008 11:33 AM

Tools

ok i got a new tool box today and im ganna buy all new tools but i am to cheap to buy the tools at my lhs they are way to expensive so im ganna go to a tol store down by my house... i was just wondering if i should get SAE or METRIC i dont know what the cars need.... i got a rc8 kit version and a cen matrix rtr

rezenclowd3 08-11-2008 11:40 AM

Your car manual will tell you what sizes you need.

jpalessi 08-11-2008 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ruggydriver (Post 4729099)
ok i got a new tool box today and im ganna buy all new tools but i am to cheap to buy the tools at my lhs they are way to expensive so im ganna go to a tol store down by my house... i was just wondering if i should get SAE or METRIC i dont know what the cars need.... i got a rc8 kit version and a cen matrix rtr

metric!

wingracer 08-11-2008 11:49 AM

You really need to pick up a few good quality allen drivers. The stuff you get at the hardware store just doesn't cut it. At least get a 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5 mm. I'm not sure if the RC8 has any 3mm's or not.

allan42r 08-11-2008 12:25 PM

the best thing you could do is go to the hardware store and pickup a rechargable cordless screwdriver. many companies make them but dont go with a fast one or the plastic will heatup from the screw turning too fast and damage the plastic. also if you can swing it pickup a set of good metric hand drivers. dont waste your money on the fancy hudy ones cause the tips wear fast go with the M I P's and they will be the last set you buy! use the cordless to do most of the work and use the hand ones to finish so you dont overtighten. ofna makes a great 4 bit hex kit to fit the cordless. GET THE CORDLESS OR YOUR SEX LIFE WILL SUFFER!!!lol.

Integra 08-11-2008 01:59 PM

IMO non RC brand tools just dont cut it....Snap on :rolleyes:

Eccentric 08-11-2008 02:06 PM

If that 'tool store' by your house is something like Harbor Freight (or other Chinese tool importer) then you will do yourself a HUGE favor by NOT buying hex drivers or screwdrivers from them for your RC cars. you'll be stripping drivers and screws in short order if you don't heed this advice (BTDT).:rolleyes:

Go quality on the hex drivers. Find out what sizes you need (read the manual as suggested) and buy just those drivers. A lot cheaper than buying a whole set...

viperbill1963 08-11-2008 02:09 PM

cheap tools???

well if you try and buy cheap you should buy 2 of everything thats the rule "buy cheap buy twice " . i bought a set of eds tools over a year ago and have no problems with them and if i need any replacements tips i can buy them either from my local hobby shop or on the website directly . try that at your cheap local hardware store :lol:

Eccentric 08-11-2008 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by viperbill1963 (Post 4729522)
well if you try and buy cheap you should buy 2 of everything thats the rule "buy cheap buy twice " ...

Gotta buy a bunch of extra screws too. Cheap drivers will eat hex head screws...

DOMIT 08-11-2008 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jpalessi (Post 4729118)
metric!

Matrix is metric, but I think the RC8 has some standard hardware? Not sure though. Better check the manual.

Integra 08-11-2008 03:00 PM

I know the question will come up...Tony's Screw Kits.....12.9g steel.....THE strongest screw known to mankind :lol:

he's a User on this forum and is Hardcore Mugen and Know's his stuff...he's also a Super nice guy to talk to and is willing to help with any problem u might have. :nod:

stump27 08-11-2008 06:08 PM

if you want my advice, don't buy the ofna bits for the cordless. they are good, but will wear over time and start to strip screws. you can get M.I.P. bits from carolinasrc.com and they will last you forever.

Integra 08-11-2008 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by stump27 (Post 4730319)
if you want my advice, don't buy the ofna bits for the cordless. they are good, but will wear over time and start to strip screws. you can get M.I.P. bits from carolinasrc.com and they will last you forever.

x2 for the $$ the MIP's would be worth it...i bought the ofna's to only forget to set the clutch one of the First times using it and twised the bit a good 1/8 turn....it still works fine...but definatly show's the somwhat poor quality of the metals used.

ercwhtsd 08-11-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ruggydriver (Post 4729099)

I don't know how much you are looking to spend total, but as has already been stated, don't go cheap on the hex driver's.

EDS racing products( www.edsracingproducts.com) has 10 piece starter tool set with carry bag for around $130. Metricset comes with 1.5,2.0,2.5 mm hex drivers, 3mm flat screwdriver and 5mm phillips as well as 5,5.5 and 7mm nut drivers and a glow plug/clutch wrench. They also have a standard set as well as power driver bits.

Infiniti Tech 08-11-2008 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by viperbill1963 (Post 4729522)
well if you try and buy cheap you should buy 2 of everything thats the rule "buy cheap buy twice " . i bought a set of eds tools over a year ago and have no problems with them and if i need any replacements tips i can buy them either from my local hobby shop or on the website directly . try that at your cheap local hardware store :lol:

+1 on Ed's tools. Same quality as Hudy for less. I bought a metric hex set from him 2 years ago.. Tips are still as sharp as new. Ed's also carries a set of driver bits BUT my Ofna bits are 8 years old, and still sharp.

You need hobby quality tools, whatever you end up buying. Stay away from the hardware store stuff. The tips round off and strip screw heads out. Watch how tight your putting things together too. You only need to get things snug + MAYBE 1/8 turn and use a soldering iron to heat up screws with loc tite when you're removing them.