HPI F4.6 with ofna shoes, a problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI F4.6 with ofna shoes, a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI F4.6 with ofna shoes, a problem?

Hi, just finished putting on my ofna shoes (10011) with the black springs and had to shim the flywheel bolt once becasue the springs were are to extreme an angle to work proper. Im guessing at full speed the springs would fail and pop out of the groove. Anyway, so after putting it all back together, I read that the CB (clutch bell) needs to cover the shoes completely, yet after the shimming, the CB can no longer do that! If I shim the shoes up, then the shim I did for the nut was for nothing.

Here is a pic of my finial setup. Is anyone else running the same setup, does this look acceptable, and will work just fine? Everything on the motor is stock except im using HPIs vented racing CB. Please, I need help on this situation.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

My ofna 3 shoe clutch on my truggy wth an ofna vented clutchbell looks just like yours. If you shim it right the shoes will last much longer.

Here is the OFNA shim it that I use: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5428
Old 08-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Either you have too many shims between the bearing and flywheel nut.

But the clutch bell looks to be the narrow bell not the standard clutch bell
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

pdmustgt: I am using one modified washer as the shim for the nut. Its a perfect size, well the springs still sit at an angle, but if I use anything thinner, the angle becomes to extreme and risk the springs popping off once the shoes engage. And yah, I was wondering it the vented CB is narrower then a regular, but the lhs never had any regulars out to do a small comparison.

I learnt from some others that I could either grind down my flywheel nut, or get a shorter nut. Thing one guy never told me is if all flywheel nuts are universal with other engines.

Also asked someone at my lhs and he said his looks the same as mine. Has a little bit of the shoe showing and hes happy with it. Hes still using it the same way. If this sovles my old problem, which I believe will, then im going to get the angle grinder out and grind my nut down a bit, then re do it all, this should solve all my problems in a jiffy!

Thanks for the help you two!