Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch Bell Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Clutch Bell Bearing Issue

I have been racing for 7 months now and have not had a problem with my clutch bell bearings until a couple of races ago. It seems as soon as I put new ones in and run one lap, the front bearing lets go and the bearing moves up and starts rubbing the fuel tank (I have a Losi 8ight btw). I have checked the mesh and have swapped clutch bells for a new one. The clutch bell spins freely and only has the slightest bit of play. If I add another spacer then it is tight enough to cause concern that the tightness could be the cause of the problem. I am using Protec bearings and have been told that these are terrible bearings. I started with Losi and had no problems with the Losi ones but have only had bad problems with the Protec ones since switching. Is this really the answer to my problem is the brand of bearings? Please help! Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

is the crankshaft worn where the bearings sit? If there is enough slop, they could be heating up too much (actually spinning on the crankshaft) causing premature failure.....check it out.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM

Is your crankshaft clean where the bearings sit? You may need to clean off those little rust areas where the bearings sit with some fine sandpaper. If there is enough rust on there the bearings wont last very long. Another thing is if your gear mesh between the cluth bell and spur gear is to tight then when the chassis flexes it puts way to much stress on the bearings so they wont last very long that way either, and the chassis will flex every time you land a jump or hit a rut or whatever, so that can be a problem.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well... it could be any of the things mentioned. Chassis flex is particularly pronounced on the Losi in that area... so normally Losi drivers run a looser mesh than others. Also the King Headz extended motor mount helps...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Try removing one shim, if possible. I've read in forums past, somewhere, that the 8 clutch ( assuming your running the stock system? ) likes to be a little more loose than a regular 3 shoe style.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Did you use the same engine those 7 months? If so the crank bearings could be worn and cause the clutch bearings to blow. My buddy had that happen before and man did it frustrate him to no end until he figured it out.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Run a Looser Mesh and run Avid Revolutions. There a buck a pop.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I run a looser mesh, more than average end play, and the King Headz extended mount on my Losi and no issues with bearings at all.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

I use the pro-tek ones. A buck each and I replace the inside one after every weekend, outside one every other. No issues..
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I was told when I got my Losi to mesh with a folded piece of paper between CB and spur. I did it and it seemed way to sloppy I ran it that way with no problems. I had taken my buggy apart for a cleaning and remeshed by sight and sound. Burned up CB bearings in less than a day of use. Replaced bearings and remeshed with folded paper bearings still going strong. original mesh I got 2 gallons on bearings. After my mesh less than 5 tanks. After remesh a gallon and still going. Losi's like it sloppy.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys. I replaced the motor before I started having the bearing issues. Brand new V-spec. I will try all of the above to see if the problem gets better. I think I have it too tight as far as the mesh as I have done it by feel and by previous experience with other vehicles and not necessarily the Losi. At first, it was done by paper and then by feel.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i run the yellow seal boca cb bearings.. i have had good luck with them so far.. but i dont give them a chance to wear out because i replace them before every big race and every other weekend of club racing.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

It could be the flywheel nut. Make sure it's very tight. I had a similar issue once and found the bloody thing loose after destroying 3 pairs of clutch bearings in a day.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

I tried remeshing a little looser and got a day out of the front bearing. Luckily the front one made it until the end of the 30 min A main and I was able to take second. The folded piece of paper though, was it notebook or copy paper? I am remeshing it for another race coming up and need to get it right. When I first got it with the first motor, one of the fellow racers meshed it for me. Then I got the CEO V-Spec and I am pretty sure I have it too tight.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 843rcguy
I tried remeshing a little looser and got a day out of the front bearing. Luckily the front one made it until the end of the 30 min A main and I was able to take second. The folded piece of paper though, was it notebook or copy paper? I am remeshing it for another race coming up and need to get it right. When I first got it with the first motor, one of the fellow racers meshed it for me. Then I got the CEO V-Spec and I am pretty sure I have it too tight.
The Losi has to be set up "you gotta be kidding me" sloppy on clutch mesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.