Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
"you gotta be kidding me" sloppy
Is that a step above or below "holy s*&t" sloppy? lol
Old 08-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ok, so that seems to be the problem. I have to remesh the gears just a hair looser. Is that why they seem to go thru clutch bells quicler than other buggies? Think I may change to the hardened ones that I have to help with the wear.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 843rcguy
Ok, so that seems to be the problem. I have to remesh the gears just a hair looser. Is that why they seem to go thru clutch bells quicler than other buggies? Think I may change to the hardened ones that I have to help with the wear.
Yup... even with the King Headz mount there is a LOT of flex there on the Losi, and it just beats the clutch bell up... you're lucky... I was killing bearings AND clutch bells when I had my Losi.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

843RCguy

I'm having the same issues on both my truggy and buggy, tried every other bearing out there, more play less play on the clutch bell, new bells old bells, stock motor mounts-king headz motor mounts, different engines, tighter mesh-lose mesh, and still the same problem.

So I called up Losi and spoke with a really cool guy called Bill G. and he gave me the following pointers:

Obsviously go thru the check list above, and add the folliwing:

clean out the bearings, removing any excess oil (with air gun) you don't want the oil to migrate into the the clutch bell,causing it to overheat, remember bearings go bad for two main reasons 1st heat 2nd excessive vibration

clean the clutch bell, shoes and pilot shaft area with alcohol (leaves no oily residue and evaporates quickly)

remove any glaze on the composite shoes, and specially if you run all aluminum shoes, take a dremel all sand the inside of the clutch bell eliminating any residue and clean with alcohol. you don't want excessive slip, again it's a heating issue.

when intsalling motor mounts, first with the engine then proceed to screw them on, 2nd mount it on the chassis pushing engine all the way to the front (this is to make sure that engine is completely straight -avoiding vibration-),
this part is crucial, *****you should set the mesh up with the least amount of play possible, try using the plastic bag from the losi parts instead of the paper thing, this will give you the least anount of play, but just enough that under flex you won't ruin bearings or anything else.*********

Don't forget to make sure that the clutch nut is properly tightened and not come lose........

Hope this helps......