Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight fuel tank splitting at the seam

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default Losi 8ight fuel tank splitting at the seam

Just wondering if any of you Losi 8ight guys have had trouble with the fuel tanks splitting at the seam. I purchased my Losi 8ight kit in April and have raced it 3-4 weekends per month since then, and I've gone through 6 fuel tanks already. Every single one does the same thing - they split at the seam. I've tried different types of glue, but none stick to the plastic. I tried soldering (melting the seam), and that didn't work either. Anybody else have this problem? What did you do?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default .

i have had the same thing happen to me once. all i did is replaced it.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Initiate

I had one split once, replaced the tank many months ago and not happened since.

Try running it a little looser on the mountings as it should have a small amount of movement allowed.

I never felt confident gluing the old 1 up as a spare as whenever i gave it any pressure it came undone.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Suspended

first one split at the seam like yours, glued the second with shoo-goo completely around the seem with a generous amount of the stuff and it's still fine over a year later
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Strange situation. About 4 others at the my local track have had the same chronic tank splitting problem. We assume they had a bad batch of tanks. I'm just hoping I get one of the good ones soon, as I'm pushing the $100 mark on fuel tanks now. Someone said you can use a Mugen MBX5R tank, and I actually observed someone installing one. The holes line up. I ordered one from A-Main yesterday. Can't afford to DNF anymore races!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by move over
first one split at the seam like yours, glued the second with shoo-goo completely around the seem with a generous amount of the stuff and it's still fine over a year later
I thought about using shoe goo, but wasn't sure whether it would hold up to nitro fuel. Sounds like that may be the hot ticket though if yours lasted for a year so far. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

using a soldering iron to melt it a little bit works best, or plastic welding it, but.. its ugly... not that shoe-goo looks any better
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a CEN Matrix and i use a mugen tank for the same reason, went through about 4 factory ones before i bought a real tank. Yes leave your tank slightly loose. My buddy owns a LHS and races the 8ight and he just tossed a tank out this weekend, i asked him what gives and his reply was that Losi came out with a bad batch that splits at the seems and he's been in the hobby for over 20 years so i'm sure it wasn't his fault.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks again for your insight guys. Looks like my fuel tank problems may be a thing of the past today when the UPS driver delivers my Mugen MBX5R tank.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LVBaja
Thanks again for your insight guys. Looks like my fuel tank problems may be a thing of the past today when the UPS driver delivers my Mugen MBX5R tank.
careful on the lid tho....u wont be able to sit there and idle without a Clunk like u used to...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Do you mean when the car is upside down? Or just sitting right-side up and idling? Can the clunk from one of my many broken Losi tanks be fitted into the Mugen tank?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if the tank split after you "melted it" together with a soldering iron you did not "melt" it enough. Its not pretty but you can fuse the two together if you melt enough, but don't over-do it.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

That could be the problem why my soldered tank still split. I was very careful not to melt it too much, and although the result was very pretty, maybe it wasn't truly functional. Guess I gotta try melting it even more than before.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by LVBaja
Do you mean when the car is upside down? Or just sitting right-side up and idling? Can the clunk from one of my many broken Losi tanks be fitted into the Mugen tank?

maby....with some proper fuel proof silicone it could be done.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

I got my Mugen MBX5R tank last night and after looking it over, it really makes me wonder how the car is supposed to keep running if it's flipped over. Without the clunk in the tank, it seems it would quickly run out of fuel if flipped upside down. Is this why guys run fuel filters? To store a little extra fuel in case their cars flip over?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.