Community
Wiki Posts
Search

808 vs. Jammin X1X

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 808 vs. Jammin X1X

hey guys I'am going to be getting a new buggy soon and i have narrowed it down to these two which one do you guys uggest for racing every weekend and practice once a week?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Both are really good, but word on the streets is Xray raised their prices so you might find it more expensive to run the Xray.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Again here we are comparing apples and oranges they both taste good and are good for you. However they are not the same or in the same category. To compare an OFNA to an X-ray is to say the OFNA's quality is a good as X-ray, NOT. X-rays parts availablility is as good as OFNA's, NOT. An OFNA is going to handle as well as a X-ray, NOT. The price range of the 2 buggy's your considering is $100 apart.

If you can afford a X-ray get an X-ray. OFNA's is a good buggy but it's not in the league with X-ray, Losi, Kyosho, Mugen or AE. Which the before mention buggy's would be what you would compare to an X-ray. All along the same price line, Quality line, Handling line and win line.

If your hearts loves the OFNA get the OFNA loving what you drive is half the battle. No matter what the short comings are of the buggy you drive the love for the buggy always sees past it. Even if you bought the X-ray if your heart aint in to it no matter how it performs you will never be happy with your choice. Guys around here love there buggy's and generally defend there brand know matter how ridiculous the argument they make for them sounds.

Not even sure how you come up with narrowing your search down to these 2 buggy's other than the X's in the names. Not bashing you just thinking you should either rethink your choices or go ahead and get the X1X. The cost factor alone does not lend itself to a good debate in your choices. with the savings on the X1X you got half the money for a new Go 7 port or a 1/3 of the cost of another new engine or a very nice digital servo. nearly 3 sets of tires or alot of parts!

Good Luck

Again I was not bashing you.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by vladconnery
OFNA's is a good buggy but it's not in the league with X-ray, Losi, Kyosho, Mugen or AE. Which the before mention buggy's would be what you would compare to an X-ray. All along the same price line, Quality line, Handling line and win line.
Well..I own a X1X CR FTE, this is my first 1/8 scale also to boot....now let me go futher into detail......A Jammin X1X CR FTE is a good buggy, not badly priced either, the overall quality that I see was outstanding. I will say they ARE in the same league as Losi and AE...Im not trying to flame anyone...Ive owned losi and AE stuff prior...but I wouldnt consider either of those for 1/8 scale why?

Losi makes a good buggy so does AE...but they are not without fault......crappy made arms that are brittle, and a known issue with sloppy suspension. So....as for Mugen.. they make good stuff..probally not in the same league but Ofna does come close....Kyosho is above these also.
How do I know....beings I have been involved with RC for 28 years....I can make a fairly good educated guess..and say, READ READ READ reviews...on all the makes you want to consider...go to your local track, and talk to the drivers...but never ask on a forums group as each person will give you a totally different opinion.

My Opinion is this:
X-Ray is the top of the ladder...but way to pricey..if you want to be competitive at a upper level and you have good skills this is the buggy for you.
Mugen or Kyosho would be the next choices.....
Followed by Jammin/Hang Nor/Ofna along with this is also in the same group as Losi, and AE......

Just remeber that the 1/8 scale has seen alot of different stuff in the last 10yrs. Ofna/Mugen/Kyosho have been at the forefront of the nitro scene and with newcomers of Losi and AE in 1/8 scale. Just take this for whats its worth...a opinion.

Any buggy will win, some easier than others with a talented driver behind the wheel. So the best advice I can offer is simple, read about your choices.
AE with the brittle arms and the Losi sloppiness is what scared me away from them....heck whether or not its been fixed or a random issue.....I chose the X1X CR FTE for the price and quality of Ofna....and I only wanted some fun, and not a hassel of breaking stuff.

So dont take offense to MY opinion anyone...as its solely mine and mine alone. But I spent close to a year reading reviews and making a decision before I dumped 2k into a full set-up.

Smoke
Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I suggest X-ray 808
Old 08-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revracer222
hey guys I'am going to be getting a new buggy soon and i have narrowed it down to these two which one do you guys uggest for racing every weekend and practice once a week?
You are looking at 2 buggies that are opposite ends of the spectrum. The Xray is VERY nimble and aggressive. The Jammin is very relaxed, easy to drive. Both are outstanding cars.

IF you are very smooth and skillful, the Xray will reward that. If you are relatively new to the hobby, the Jammin will be easier to handle. Both are competitive cars. Nobody matches Xray on quality, but I have had ZERO issues with my Jammin... I've owned a Mugen, a Losi, and now the Jammin, and it is by FAR my favorite of the 3- turns almost as good as the Losi, has a lot less parts wear than the Losi (but more than the Mugen!) and is almost as stable and forgiving as the Mugen.

The Xray is very much like the Losi... maybe a little easier to drive, but it is the kind of car that you need to be smooth and consistant with, just like the Losi. The Jammin is a better car for a novice driver just because it forgives little mistakes without getting out of shape- yes, that also means it doesn't react AS instantaneously to driver input, so take an honest look at your skill level. If you can handle the Xray, by all means it is the current "hot ticket." If not, the Jammin might be the right car for you.

It doesn't pay to be able to turn ONE faster lap with an edgy car, but be less consistant... but if you have the skill to put it to use, the Xray is probably faster. They key there is, do you have the skill to stay smooth and consistant with it?

IF I had the skill level to drive it, I'd switch to the Xray in a heartbeat... the car really is that good! At this stage in my experience and skill, it would hurt me more than it helped... so I stick with the Jammin.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

IMO, Jammin is a great car and you can easily compare it to any buggy out there. X-RAY is over rated although the new 808 does handle better than any car I've driven. The first XB8, I hate to say it but it was a copy of the Mugen MBX5 with different front end. I know because I had both cars at the same time and parts would fit about perfect with each other.

Heres How I rank them:

1st. Mugen Drives great, great fit/finish awsome customer serv. Parts available all the time.

2nd. Xray Drives perfect, parts back ordered, customer service Rep. sucks great fit/finish, too expensive for what you get. They are milking the customers.

3rd. Jammin Drives good , don't need hop ups, customer serv. great. Great price!!

4th. Kyosho
5th. Losi
6th. AE
7th. GS
8th. HOBAO, HB, OCM,..........
Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

i take the x1x any day.

the xray a great car but it eat bearings really bad got change them ever gallon.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

I have the 808 and I have driven the X1X. If you are a serious racer and you want to be really competitive, I would suggest the 808. The X1X is also very good, but I believe the 8o8 would give you a better advantage since it is more stabe, even at high speeds. The steering of the 808 is exceptional! Never have I driven a buggy with this kind of steering (On/off power). And I believe the 808 is the best jumper out there. Even at box set-up, you will enjoy driving this car immensely. But I would suggest you have to use a Set-up system when you want to tune this car since the box set-up is slightly off the claimed numbers.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
ALG
Tech Regular

X1X, great buggy and service, the Jammin is a Hong Nor KIT, OFNA sells it on the US with Jammin.
they are preparing a WC pack!!!!
The car is just great!!! and parts can be found on most parts.

The X1X has a very important factor HYPE!!!!!!! and that is a very competitive.

Have fun and hope your ride is a X1X
Old 08-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Adept

If you're looking for one more opinion of the XRAY 808, check this month's issue of Xtreme RC Cars for their review.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

From a sportsman's view, the XRAY will make you a better driver. I've been off for about a year and a half, and before I layed off, I was just entering the expert class. I've been back for about 4 weeks of racing and am competitive with other experts already.

I don't feel that it is an unforgiving buggy at all. In fact I think it's more stable than my MBX-5 was. I do think the Jammin X1CR is similarly nimble, but not as durable, but then I didn't have the Factory Team, just the Pro before the Factory team was available.

The fact that I was able to pick it right up and drive at a fairly high level with my lack of time on the buggy and in the sport recently impresses me, and continues to impress me as I take a second off my fastest lap at my local track every week. That doesn't even begin to talk to how easy it is to put together due to the high quality of materials.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

jammin > xray.. =]
Old 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

the xray gone be drove smooth you got be calm and let the car do it thing. just like the losi just like the ae you got be smooth and calm or well your out to lunch

the mogen 5r the jammin and the koysho you can drive it harder deeper and it stick

i race a losi 8ight buggy why because i ran one for almost a full season and no matter what i never be as fast with anything eles
now in truck the new jammin is the cat ass
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Addict

Xray

Period

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.