808 vs. Jammin X1X

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

808 vs. Jammin X1X

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

Ive been racing the Jammin X1 for 4 years now and its imo the best. I have a hobby shop and test drive meny new models and look at parts availability, cost, setup, handling looks etc.
The Xray we all hope is a better buggy than any out there. Remember that Xray buggies just couldnt fit the bill as a top performer. So what xray did now was basically after several attempts at making the car work just copied a Losi type design.
Xray Durability no question as parts qaulity is the best in the bussiness. You probably buy the 808 and in 6months it will be an old model.

At races and seeing guys constantly setting up their car tells me that the car is crap. The X1 runs with the same setup in 90% of conditions and wins.
Check the X1 wins in the international and local arena. The best top car a racer can buy. I call it no mess no fuss just racing.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
You probably buy the 808 and in 6months it will be an old model.
The buggy division is highly competitive. The reason you see so many new models more often is a reflection of this. There would be no evolution if there were no new models.

At races and seeing guys constantly setting up their car tells me that the car is crap. The X1 runs with the same setup in 90% of conditions and wins.
Check the X1 wins in the international and local arena. The best top car a racer can buy. I call it no mess no fuss just racing.
Each track is different in their surface, technical points, jumps, duration, etc. If you want to use the same buggy on different tracks, you have to make tuning adjustments. At the recent Pre-Worlds race in Charlotte, drivers spent a bunch of time testing different tires because the track changed through the week of practice and races.

Last edited by RC Huligan; 08-06-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: left out a word
Old 08-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ive been racing the Jammin X1 for 4 years now and its imo the best. I have a hobby shop and test drive meny new models and look at parts availability, cost, setup, handling looks etc.
The Xray we all hope is a better buggy than any out there. Remember that Xray buggies just couldnt fit the bill as a top performer. So what xray did now was basically after several attempts at making the car work just copied a Losi type design.
Xray Durability no question as parts qaulity is the best in the bussiness. You probably buy the 808 and in 6months it will be an old model.

I guess I'm not sure how having a car that responds and goes faster with tuning changes for different conditions makes it a bad car. IMO it makes it a better car, and the results of X-Ray team drivers in recent events and a relatively new car is promising. It looks to me to be just like what I said, good drivers are getting better with the car. Changing ackerman position from an open track to a tight track in consecutive weeks resulted in a solid car each weekend.

As far as copying, lets remember, you can run just about any Kyosho part on an X-1 CR. The only truly innovative car in the last few years has been the Losi.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Murphster
From a sportsman's view, the XRAY will make you a better driver. I've been off for about a year and a half, and before I layed off, I was just entering the expert class. I've been back for about 4 weeks of racing and am competitive with other experts already.

I don't feel that it is an unforgiving buggy at all. In fact I think it's more stable than my MBX-5 was. I do think the Jammin X1CR is similarly nimble, but not as durable, but then I didn't have the Factory Team, just the Pro before the Factory team was available.

The fact that I was able to pick it right up and drive at a fairly high level with my lack of time on the buggy and in the sport recently impresses me, and continues to impress me as I take a second off my fastest lap at my local track every week. That doesn't even begin to talk to how easy it is to put together due to the high quality of materials.
Please note that the "car/buggy" itself will not make you a better driver in ALL aspects...it may be easier to tune, more agile, nimble..or just be the best out there....the best advice is get something you like..that is in your price range..and practice, practice, practice.....then when you are at a plateau then move up to a nicer/better/competitive buggy....basically get something you can afford, and find parts for. Id rather spend the cash on a good easy to understand radio/elec. equipment and plugs/fuel...than waste mucho cash on a buggy that is all tricked out. XRAY is great...Ive seen a couple of them and wanted one..and still do, however I love my X1X CR FTE...its got the bling bling for what I like and need. Ive even added a few options and still need some extra springs and tires.

DS
Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by arm2storm
IMO, Jammin is a great car and you can easily compare it to any buggy out there. X-RAY is over rated although the new 808 does handle better than any car I've driven. The first XB8, I hate to say it but it was a copy of the Mugen MBX5 with different front end. I know because I had both cars at the same time and parts would fit about perfect with each other.

Heres How I rank them:

1st. Mugen Drives great, great fit/finish awsome customer serv. Parts available all the time.

2nd. Xray Drives perfect, parts back ordered, customer service Rep. sucks great fit/finish, too expensive for what you get. They are milking the customers.

3rd. Jammin Drives good , don't need hop ups, customer serv. great. Great price!!

4th. Kyosho
5th. Losi
6th. AE
7th. GS
8th. HOBAO, HB, OCM,..........
So the same car ranks 3rd and 8th? Ho Bao and Jammin?! Just trying to sort this post out... And somehow our customer service sucks even though the same guys you can call or PM are the same guys that race the car, instead of some automated answering system, then some rep?

My 2 cents:
The 808 is like driving with cheat codes, I instantly went faster, using the same parts race after race...
BTW, using only two optional parts.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by rmargiotta
So the same car ranks 3rd and 8th? Ho Bao and Jammin?!
HoBao is the same as Ofna, and Hong-Nor is the same as Jammin.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

My 2 cents:
The 808 is like driving with cheat codes, I instantly went faster, using the same parts race after race...
I'm curious. What two optional parts are you using on your XRAY 808?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

who cares if the jammin is based of the kanai 2 and 3. Imo, those were the best 2 1/8 buggies ever made
Old 08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Huligan
I'm curious. What two optional parts are you using on your XRAY 808?
The front and rear aluminum hinge pin holders.

But the funny thing is the fronts are set to stock geometry, and the rears are stock except for one more degree of anti-squat. So you can just how many 'hop-ups' are on my car.

Isn't the name of an Ofna/HoBao/Hong Nor/Jammin' car country/region dependent?

I'm with you Tony, every car/model has their time, they all have 4 wheels, an engine and usually 4 shocks...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Jammin'

VERY Easy car to drive, its can be a awesome car getting in to racing because it does whats its asked in a relaxed way, not getting over excitied and turning off future drivers to our sport. The car is lazy, but being consistent in the same time frame. Pushing the car can result in good and bad feedback, but thats all per driver/ set-up.

The Xray

Never driven one, but I have driven my Losi. The losi and Xray are close, but not the same. (Dont get mad at me Xray guys, I know you understand what i say.) The car is great for a person on top of there game, and what it can do rewards the ace driver in you, but slip ups cost big time. But thats what ive read, and with my losi, which again is only close to the Xray.

Dont take this to hard, just my .02 . . .
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

So the same car ranks 3rd and 8th? Ho Bao and Jammin?! Just trying to sort this post out... And somehow our customer service sucks even though the same guys you can call or PM are the same guys that race the car, instead of some automated answering system, then some rep?

My 2 cents:

How is Hong Nor and Hobao the same?

Allow me to clarify, we are talking about buggies not brands and you can’t compare a Hyper 8.5 to a Jammin which is closely inspected and designed by Jay. In that case an RC8 is in the same league as a thunder tiger buggy? I don’t believe so. There are some exceptions. Remember, OFNA is a distributor only, for Hong Nor and HoBao

Now as far as X-ray’s customer service goes…… You guys never have an answer of when parts are coming in, everything is always on back order, and if you mention in the X-ray forum any other brand besides X-ray the thread gets deleted. Now, don’t tell me that doesn’t suck?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by arm2storm
...if you mention in the X-ray forum any other brand besides X-ray the thread gets deleted. Now, don’t tell me that doesn’t suck?
If you mention RC Tech on the RC Universe forum, they delete it. I mentioned Twitter once and that got removed. If you were a brand and maintained a forum, how much discussion about competing brands would you allow on your forum?

Last edited by RC Huligan; 08-08-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:42 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The front and rear aluminum hinge pin holders.

But the funny thing is the fronts are set to stock geometry, and the rears are stock except for one more degree of anti-squat. So you can just how many 'hop-ups' are on my car.

Isn't the name of an Ofna/HoBao/Hong Nor/Jammin' car country/region dependent?

I'm with you Tony, every car/model has their time, they all have 4 wheels, an engine and usually 4 shocks...
Interesting Rocco... I know your car looks really good on the track. So does Hunter's! A little too much for me to handle though. I'm thinking of switching to truggy... lol I drove James's truggy last weekend... (XT8) holy cow it turns as good as my buggy if not better! I didn't expect that at all... I expected it to be "lazy." Now I want one!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Huligan
If you mention RC Tech on the RC Universe forum, they delete it. I mentioned Twitter once and that got removed. If you were a brand and maintained a forum, how much discussion about competing brands would you allow on your forum?

I understand in some cases but when its in relation to the xray buggy it shouldn't matter.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Again here we are comparing apples and oranges they both taste good and are good for you. However they are not the same or in the same category. To compare an OFNA to an X-ray is to say the OFNA's quality is a good as X-ray, NOT. X-rays parts availablility is as good as OFNA's, NOT. An OFNA is going to handle as well as a X-ray, NOT. The price range of the 2 buggy's your considering is $100 apart.

If you can afford a X-ray get an X-ray. OFNA's is a good buggy but it's not in the league with X-ray, Losi, Kyosho, Mugen or AE.
How old are you, 12??

I will agree that Xray's fit and finish is something that leads the RC Industry, but to make the claims that you are is absolutely ludicrous.

I take it that you must not follow the national scene at all. Taylor James just won the Pre-Worlds race at the Farm II in Charlotte with his Jammin' car.

OK, now on to your asinine post. First off, the Jammin X1X car is made by Hong-Nor, not Ofna. Ofna is merely a distributor, not a manufacturer. As far as quality goes, it's on par with any 1/8 buggy on the market and wears just as good if not better. I can't even begin to list all of the parts I had to replace on that Losi 8ight I had that wore out prematurely.

I've raced the Jammin' now for two years and have yet to replace any part other than a bulkhead that the bottom screw had stripped out. Of course that doesn't include wear items like bodies, tires and clutches, etc. Last year I raced the car just about every weekend along with practice during the week. This year, I've cut my racing schedule to every other week with minimal practice.

As far as parts availability go, the Xray struggles in LHS market if that is where you shop. Online shopping is totally different.

And your comment on the handling...It's by far the best handling car I've ever driven next to a MBX5. It's VERY consistent, and I can take the car to several different tracks and use the same setup with small changes to accommodate the track.

Also, another thing to consider the amount of support that Jammin' has. Alot of the drivers are VERY easy to get ahold of with technical support questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.