Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

enclosed trailer a must for rc racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Everything in life has its pros and cons. A trailer is no different. I have a 7' x 16 trailer with AC, 110v / 12v throughout, am/fm, flat panel t.v. with satellite, mini fridge/freezer, hot dog/hamburger grill, microwave, air compressor, foldout starter table on the door and most importantly a very loud alarm with flashing lights! It is wired for local and generator power. It pits 3 comfortable but we squeeze 4 sometimes. The little inconvenience of 4 people helps alot with the fuel bill when we go to away races.

That is a critical point, if your gonna look at buying a trailer, but it large enough that you can bring some buddies with you to help offset the fuel bill. Also, no matter what length you get, spring for the 8 foot wide model. Doesn't seem like much more space, but it makes a world of difference.

I really enjoy it, especially when it starts to rain. I don't have to worry about my things getting wet. All the carrying my gear around from my garage to the car, from the car to to the track and then reverse everything got old. Since I bought the trailer I really enjoyed the hobby much more. One the down side, it does separate you a little from most folks since you tend not come out when it is really hot outside. It isn't so bad because you get a lot of your buddies visiting. As far as trailer not being allowed, yes I have heard of that, but haven't run into it yet. I normally disconnect the trailer from the truck at the bigger races and park my truck elsewhere. This frees up a lot of space for others.

I went in half with my brother in law on the trailer since we are both avid racers for years. IMO, the trailer has more pro then cons which is why we went with it. Sits in my garage plugged in. Also perfect for when I am home and want to work on my cars. Just open the door, turn on the AC and go to work.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Mine is a 31ft RV great way to go. beam in sat. tv. Sleep, eat, it works good.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
This is a good subject... we've kicked the idea around, but to pit 4 of us we'd need a BIG trailer.

I was SURE I was gonna see a pic of the trailer the Houston "River Track" guys had... lol They took an old camper-trailer, ripped out the inside, put 2 bunks in the back and the rest is a pit area. Total cost was less than $1500 and it already had AC.

They painted graffiti all over the outside... it looks absolutely ghetto... lol

this be the one,, they told me that they had less than a grand in it..

and here is one i am building. after riding the bumpstops to houston and bak for that one race i decided this was a needed thing..

Old 08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Old 08-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Anyone know the towing capacities of a full size car?

I no longer need my truck to haul the race car so I'll be selling my supercrew F150. But I need the passenger room to transport the kids. I've been shopping for an enclosed trailer for about a month now, but there are so many options to choose from. So I need a full size car or one of them little SUVs and then the biggest trailer one of them can pull.

Keeping the topic alive.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you want to stick with ford the escape can pull 3500lbs. Of course the tounge weight would naturally need to be a lot less than a standard truck due to the suspension. My nissan maxima claims 1000lbs but again the tounge weight of some trailors is a killer. Not to mention the stress on the tranny. If you're going to be using one of these smaller cars Id highly recomend getting a transmission cooler as well. Its really easy to install and fairly cheap.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

no way i would sell my pick up....you start pulling with a car, and things go boom.....
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mr. losi
no way i would sell my pick up....you start pulling with a car, and things go boom.....
last I checked they've been pulling trailers with cars for as long as cars have been around, which I think is longer than trucks have been around

but it's been my experience that fwd cars make the ultimate tow vehicles. since the front wheels are "pulling" the entire load things don't get as squirly as quickly or as easily as rear wheel drive tow platforms - of course you're not going to get the job done towing some monstrocity of a house trailer with a honda civic
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i would stick to towing with the truck!! that is my opinion.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i would stick to towing with the truck!! that is my opinion.
Are you hauling freight, or just a little trailer to the track?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I thought about it overnight a little. Some of the races we go too can get pretty soggy, so 4WD would be needed. I guess a car, or older station wagon is out of the picture. So the little SUVs is where I need to look, I guess. They get around in town pretty well, like a little go-kart, LOL.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by air8
I thought about it overnight a little. Some of the races we go too can get pretty soggy, so 4WD would be needed. I guess a car, or older station wagon is out of the picture. So the little SUVs is where I need to look, I guess. They get around in town pretty well, like a little go-kart, LOL.
here's what you need

or
Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by air8
just kidding above, but this ought to do the trick --- compact enough for getting around town, and enough room in the back to stand up while pitting

Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i would stick with a truck if at all possible. true, you can do it with a car, but trucks are designed for this now and we all know cars aren't what they used to be. cars are built to handle its weight and the weight of the passengers, and most suspensions are built for a smooth ride, not towing. that's why my 2500hd is bumpy as hell until i put a large load behind or on it and its like a cadillac.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My 03 Honda CRV tow's my 5x10 enclosed trailer fully loaded with RC gear no problems......im pretty sure the Newer CRV's come with a V6's not 4 bangers....the AWD is also nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.