Wiki Posts
Search

RB WS7III

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RB WS7III

My registration for the RB Concept forums was declined for some reason so I'm hoping someone can provide some insight for me. Perhaps someone who has had a WS7III or experience with RB engines.

I'm trying to perform the RB style break in on my WS7. Which calls for idling 125CC through it on the box. I can get it started and running just fine, but it's the temperatures. It temped as high as 244º just idling. I thought maybe my temp gun was giving me false readings, so I dropped some water near the glowplug and it immediately sizzled and evaporated. I had started with a foil wrapping over the head, but immediately realized that wouldn't be necessary.

It's blowing a fair bit of smoke, and leaving a good coating of oil on my patio slab. If I try to richen it any further on the low end, it will stall. I can richen it a bit further if I leave the glow igniter on the whole time it's running, but the engine still runs 220-240º.

I added a shim so I could run Sidewinder 30%. I'm using a JP-3.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That is a good thing. Never break them in cold.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

I should not be alarmed that the engine desperately wants to hit 250 degrees? I mean, there is smoke and fuel coming out of the pipe, and I know Rody himself is an advocate of tuning without a temp gun.

So, basically, I'm not going to pooch the motor if it idles at 240º?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nothing to worry about at the moment. It will cool off as it breaks in. 240 is a little hot for me, but you won't damage anything. You can leave the ignitor on the plug, richen the mixture and you can get it to idle cooler.

I do the full throttle, full rich, break in method for three tanks, then I start driving the car starting at 150 and working my way up over 5-7 tanks.

I don't tune with a temp gun, I just check consistency with a temp gun. The only time I tune to a particular temp is when breaking in an engine.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't worry about the temp, mine hit the 105 degree(C) mark, so I didn't use foil either. After about a litre of fuel, the temps came right down, at the two litre mark I was having trouble getting the temps over 70 degrees, that is running it rich around the track.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Cool, I have put probably 3 tanks through it on the box now just idling. That full throttle, full rich method is interesting. Makes an awful lot of sense. Is that the "Cyrul" method?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Try richening the LSN some and increase the idle as well.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

I recently temped my engine with three different temp guages, O'Donnell, Ofna PCR gun and one of those $300.00 ones. Got three different readings. If you are blowing smoke and dumping oil/fuel mix I would be willing to bet you're ok.