Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need some help with a Sportwerks Chaos, Newbie. >

Need some help with a Sportwerks Chaos, Newbie.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some help with a Sportwerks Chaos, Newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need some help with a Sportwerks Chaos, Newbie.

Bought a Chaos at a yard sale and it looks nearly new. Actually I don't think it ever ran. I checked everything over and it seems to have a few issues.

1) The clutch seems to be slipping a lot. I took it apart and it is installed correctly. The motor really revs but it doesn't go very fast. If I touch the grass with it, it won't move. As far as spinning a tire - Forget about it. Any ideas?

2) It says there is only one adjustment on the carb to richen it or lean it out but there are two screws on it. A small phillips and a larger flat screw, What do they do.

3) When I hit the brakes it shuts the car off, I am assumeing I have something adjusted wrong but what?

Thanks for helping me, New at this & just need to get pointed in the right dirrection.

LK

Last edited by alwhite00; 07-30-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alwhite00
Bought a Chaos at a yard sale and it looks nearly new. Actually I don't think it ever ran. I checked everything over and it seems to have a few issues.

1) The clutch seems to be slipping a lot. I took it apart and it is installed correctly. The motor really revs but it doesn't go very fast. If I touch the grass with it, it won't move. As far as spinning a tire - Forget about it. Any ideas?
Well... several. It could be that the flywheel is slipping on the shaft... but I don't really suspect that at this point.

I would first suspect that one of the center "dogbones" is out, or that there is a problem with the center diff.

2) It says there is only one adjustment on the carb to richen it or lean it out but there are two screws on it. A small phillips and a larger flat screw, What do they do.
Sorry, I don't know what motor you have... MOST carbs have 3 screws... the low speed needle is on the end of the carb slide (the part that moves) The high speed needle is on the fitting where the fuel hose comes in, and the idle adjustment is usually on the back of the carb.

3) When I hit the brakes it shuts the car off, I am assumeing I have something adjusted wrong but what?
I'd suspect that the idle isn't set, so it lets the carb close all the way and cut it off.

Thanks for helping me, New at this & just need to get pointed in the right dirrection.

LK
Hope that helps...
Old 07-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Brad:

First off, Thanks for the reply. I will check on the shaft slipping but I am pretty sure it's not.
The clutch has 3 plastic "weights" that are on 3 pins on the hub with an extension spring around all three that rides in a hub with a gear on the end that spins the trans in the center. The spring seems really strong and I don't know what RPM the motor spins at but it seems like it would take a lot to get the weights to spin out & contact the drum to get the hub spinning. Not sure what to do at this point but it runs good anyway.

LK
Old 07-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alwhite00
Brad:

First off, Thanks for the reply. I will check on the shaft slipping but I am pretty sure it's not.
The clutch has 3 plastic "weights" that are on 3 pins on the hub with an extension spring around all three that rides in a hub with a gear on the end that spins the trans in the center. The spring seems really strong and I don't know what RPM the motor spins at but it seems like it would take a lot to get the weights to spin out & contact the drum to get the hub spinning. Not sure what to do at this point but it runs good anyway.

LK
Ok... the "weights" are your clutch shoes. They have both aluminum and carbon shoes (i.e. plastic) and various weight springs. The carbon shoes engage softer, allowing more slip... aluminum shoes engage harder. Lighter springs make the clutch engage at lower rpm, heavier springs at higher RPM.

If the clutch is engaging... (and it should be... it sounds like it is right) then something else in the driveline is messed up.

Where are you located? Is there a local track where people race? If so, someone there would surely be happy to help.

Based on your description though, I would suspect the center differential is bad, or one of the center driveshafts is not connected (dogbones) but without looking in detail it is hard to say. If you can remove the body and post some pics it might help.