Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servos making noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was using a traxxas revo charger ment for a 1100mah pack that would run 90min fast charge cycles and I would run a few cycles through it.

I bought a duratrash onyx 230 charger last night for that and when I go lipo electric for the winter.

that charger lets me select what ever charge time and amperage I want.

but yea that sounds like a dead battery right? when the receiver light starts blinking and I loose control of the servo?

also my receiver is a Airtronics M8 and I use 8 2300mah batteries on it it goes weeks without charger I once left that on for 10 hours and still had 50% battery.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the digital sound is normal
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys, if memory serves correctly....the output of the rx pack was on the screen of the charger at 7.74volt. But I can try a AA rx adapter to make sure, I will say in 25years of RC this buggy is by far the most perplexing that I have....almost boardering on too much power :P But I will try a different rx pack, and make sure, the steering servo seems golden, and maybe I had a EPA set wrong...it wasnt binding(atleast I couldnt notice it)
Old 07-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

your running some hi toruque servos in there and ya i think the one servo is shot..deff make sure your battery is charged i had a run away on my revo while breaking the engine in do to a dead battery..

for my new buggy im gonna go lipo RX and i think u might wanna try the same thing run a lipo wit a regulator
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcrevolution
I have the same setup on my hyper 8.5 pro with a battery I bought on ebay 2600mah

and my servos start jittering like crazy and my specktrum receiver's light starts flashing.

is that a dead battery? do I have to charge this battery at very low amps for like 40 hours?

or do these servos do eat up power?

because I ran this battery full charged for like 30-40min 1 weekend it sat for 7 days ran it again after a 45min charge on the traxxas revo charger and it seemed the battery was dead.
For new Rx packs (or packs that have sat for a long time) I charge them for about 3 hours at 100 mah so they don't false peak on me. After that you can boost the charge rate to 1 amp or whatever you charge at. I repeat, if the battery charges fully and peaks, then it it ill be warm. If it's not warm it didn't charge all the way.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
For new Rx packs (or packs that have sat for a long time) I charge them for about 3 hours at 100 mah so they don't false peak on me. After that you can boost the charge rate to 1 amp or whatever you charge at. I repeat, if the battery charges fully and peaks, then it it ill be warm. If it's not warm it didn't charge all the way.

If it does that "false peak" thing where it charges really fast and you KNOW in your heart it didnt charge all the way, is it safe to just unplug it, let the charger clear, plug it back in and hit charge again? I just bought a 2500NimH Rx pack from amainhobbies, it just showed up and I really want to make sure I get it charged perfectly
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

also, the slowest my charger will charge at is .5 amps, think thats ok?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Allumina
also, the slowest my charger will charge at is .5 amps, think thats ok?
Should be. If it's a new pack it likley has very little charge in it, so it should take it close to 5 hours to charge completely at that rate. Time it, and if it goes for an hour or so without false peaking then bump the charge rate to 1 amp or so. If it keeps false peaking stay at 0.5 amp until it doesn't. Even when I only put 200 mah or so into a battery I can feel the temp difference, so you should be able to tell when it peaks.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Should be. If it's a new pack it likley has very little charge in it, so it should take it close to 5 hours to charge completely at that rate. Time it, and if it goes for an hour or so without false peaking then bump the charge rate to 1 amp or so. If it keeps false peaking stay at 0.5 amp until it doesn't. Even when I only put 200 mah or so into a battery I can feel the temp difference, so you should be able to tell when it peaks.
is the amps how fast is charges?

so what if I cranked my amps up to like 7 or 8 while charging? charge very fast but...
Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

My plan is to replace the servo, with a new one a 1015 or 1313..doesnt really matter...Im also going to grab a spare. And replace the two top plates with king headz (servo plate and front steering area)

I appreciate all the posts

DS
Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually I just had my ACE1015 servo burn out on me on the weekend. I have maybe 30 minutes of run-time on them. So was less then impressed.

When I called Ace Hobby Distributors to ask about warranty the Customer service guy indicated that whatever was wrong with it would not be covered under warranty.

However, I shipped it to them anyhow. They should last more then 30 minutes for $100...

Very Disappointed so far.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by srac cr ot wen
is the amps how fast is charges?

so what if I cranked my amps up to like 7 or 8 while charging? charge very fast but...
ya amps in a way r how fast it charges but faster ur charge the weaker the charge and if u charge at to many amps then u can fry the battery