Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
how many takes or gallons is to much? >

how many takes or gallons is to much?

how many takes or gallons is to much?

Old 07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default how many takes or gallons is to much?

i always read in people saying they are selling a motor with "2 gallons" ran through it or so many tanks etc etc .. whats "alot"??
Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

depends on the person...

in the wrong hands 1 gallon is too much
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I've had motors last 10 gallons. I've had motors that were shot after break in. Depends on the motor and the person.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

come on ..you guys know what i mean...whats the norm..if you where buying a motor..and the guy said it had XX galons on it ...whats to much?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

we know what you mean....

but the problem is theres no way to tell either way.

someone could say it has 2 gallons on it, and it could have 10 and you couldnt tell

IMO if you dont know the person, dont buy a used engine
Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by imaxx21
we know what you mean....

but the problem is theres no way to tell either way.

someone could say it has 2 gallons on it, and it could have 10 and you couldnt tell

IMO if you dont know the person, dont buy a used engine
+1, you pretty much shouldn't buy used engines ever.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

race engines are suggested to change con rods at 1.25 gallons.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

ok kool.. no used engines sounds good lol..
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

he means dont buy used engines from nonreputable people who sell junk engines and advertise them as "great shape " or "like new" or "perfect shape only two gallons " . most of em are BS !!! i myself sell used/rebuilt engines that are either in perfect shape to throw in your rig and race today(no break in , already done, also track tuned) . think about this , i personally properly run the engines in until they are in perfect race condition in my own buggy and tuned to full power potential . i then completely dismantle , double check all internals are in the shape that they are supposed to be in and if they are , then and only then are they sold and serviced by me HOUSTONS ENGINE SERVICE !! and no this is not an advertisement cause i only sell to people who understand what i do and the time it really takes to make engines the powerplants they were intended to be . just telling you that you can buy engines that are used , just be very careful and research the background of the seller . even then , you just never know cause unless you know alot about engines , it is very hard to be the judge of its condition
happy motorin guys ,
monty
Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

yeah.. so in other words i should just get new engines..and learn all the top secret break in methods and stear clear of used stuff to save a buck
Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

One of the best motors I have ever had was bought used..Novarossi plus 21-7BT, 1 and 1/2 gallons through it..fast and it's on it's 12th gallon..but i did trust the person that i bought it from, with that said..I would not buy a used motor from most sellers..but their are a few guys i trust..
Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
he means dont buy used engines from nonreputable people who sell junk engines and advertise them as "great shape " or "like new" or "perfect shape only two gallons " . most of em are BS !!! i myself sell used/rebuilt engines that are either in perfect shape to throw in your rig and race today(no break in , already done, also track tuned) . think about this , i personally properly run the engines in until they are in perfect race condition in my own buggy and tuned to full power potential . i then completely dismantle , double check all internals are in the shape that they are supposed to be in and if they are , then and only then are they sold and serviced by me HOUSTONS ENGINE SERVICE !! and no this is not an advertisement cause i only sell to people who understand what i do and the time it really takes to make engines the powerplants they were intended to be . just telling you that you can buy engines that are used , just be very careful and research the background of the seller . even then , you just never know cause unless you know alot about engines , it is very hard to be the judge of its condition
happy motorin guys ,
monty
monty houston is a great example of someone you would buy a used engine from, hes got a great rep for selling the best.
cya at the manufacturers cup monty, later
Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

ive only ever bought one used engine of ebay big risk but i needed a spare got a rbws7111 with claimed 2 gallons on it for £30 when it arrived not sure if the guy mixed up the engines he was selling but mine looked to have been just broken in not a mark on it at all inside or out and still hada use the screwdriver when flywheel jammed. anyway used it for 7 gallons throughout end of summer series last year and all of winter series and never had one bit of bother at all i now use it in my backup car still has good punch best £30 i ever spent lol
Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Only buy used engines from people you know and trust. I bought my RB S5 off of a buddy of mine that I race with on a weekly basis. I know he takes care of his stuff, and I know when he tells me the motor has " only about a gallon on it" it probably really has only about a gallon on it.

Buying used motors on e-bay is a no-no. You will get burned 9 out of 10 times. If a motor is in good shape, why are they willing to let it go for such a cheap price on e-bay?

Only by used from people you trust, but I have even seen people get burned on that also. New is always easier and you know what you are getting, not to mention, when something happens you only have yourself to blame.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by adz06
ive only ever bought one used engine of ebay big risk but i needed a spare got a rbws7111 with claimed 2 gallons on it for £30 when it arrived not sure if the guy mixed up the engines he was selling but mine looked to have been just broken in not a mark on it at all inside or out and still hada use the screwdriver when flywheel jammed. anyway used it for 7 gallons throughout end of summer series last year and all of winter series and never had one bit of bother at all i now use it in my backup car still has good punch best £30 i ever spent lol
And then it seems sometimes you will get lucky and get an awesome motor. Me myself, I know it woulda been junk had it been me who bought it lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.