Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick a engine for my Losi 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs down Help me pick a engine for my Losi 8ight

Hi guys, I'm new to the 1/8 scale scene and just picked up a Losi 8ight race roller and need to get an engine for it.

I've had many 1/10 nitros

Could I use a engine with a pull start or should I just get one that needs a bump start and just get a box?

I've never used a jump box I have always had pull starts or electric start.

Thanks any info is much appreciated
Old 07-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 128 (99%+)

If you choose to get a pull starter you have to buy the RTR engine mount. It has been my experience watching other guys, that in 1/8th scale pull starters are a real PITA, I guess because of the engines higher compression. I would suggest just going ahead and getting the bump box.

It being your first 1/8th buggy I would suggest something like the Dynamite XP or the sportwerks .21, both are really easy to tune, good easy to drive power, and easy on the wallet.

Not to mention there aren't a lot of "good" .21 pull start engines.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kd2777
If you choose to get a pull starter you have to buy the RTR engine mount. It has been my experience watching other guys, that in 1/8th scale pull starters are a real PITA, I guess because of the engines higher compression. I would suggest just going ahead and getting the bump box.

It being your first 1/8th buggy I would suggest something like the Dynamite XP or the sportwerks .21, both are really easy to tune, good easy to drive power, and easy on the wallet.

Not to mention there aren't a lot of "good" .21 pull start engines.
what about a .28? I'm running a DX3.0 radio so I can set my EPA's for the throttle if its to much
Old 07-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

no dont get a .28 it to much especially if your just getting into it, dont get a sportwerks its a cheap peice of crap go with a picco evo 2 and dont do pullstart its a hassle go with the starterbox.
you can trust me i drive a losi the guy above has an ae emblem hes trying to make you look bad so people go with the asshociated,lol no hes not, but the evo 2 is a little more but it will last you forever 10 times longer than a sportwerks or dynamite thats chump stuff. and this way if you decide to race your motor will be right there with the best of them

Last edited by HarleyMf2; 07-17-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add more
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

1. whats your budget?
2. What are you going to do race or bash?
3. If racing what type of tracks short - med technical long open track?

1. So we can suggest good bang for your bucks
2. If your racing you want to get a .21
3. short-med tracks need more bottom and mid 3-5 ports long tracks 5-7 ports

very few good motors are pull start. Bump box is the way to go espicially if your getting a race motor.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 AM
Tech Regular

go with the o.s v spec mate very good motor and not that bad on price
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9124

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9006

If you're just starting out in 1/8 this will be a nice setup. Very easy to drive and more than enough power. True, it won't have the top end of the higher priced engines, but the low and mid is really good, and the pipe combo helps it rev fairly well. Gives a very linear power that is a lot of fun to drive.

A couple of great things about this as well is that your getting a Nova engine that is very good quality, and your saving some money - should be plenty left over to buy a good starter box.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Pull starts are the devil, get a bump box. I can give you the part number for the Ofna box I use for my 8ight if you want. Just one of the basic dual motor boxes, works great, easy to set up. Stick with a .21, that way if you race you have a legal engine no matter what. I'd suggest the OS-VG .21. Reliable, easy to tune, and you can get it for $160. I just put a NIB old skool OS-RG in my 8ight and the VG is basically what replaced that engine. Not the hp of some other engines, but more than enough for most tracks. More and more guys here are putting the VG's in their cars and saving the "big" motors for when we hit the big tracks.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

A Trinity Extech .21 will blow your mind. Makes more power than an OS28 on the dyno with 10min runtimes. What a mill!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

That Nova is good pick also and that's a nice price on it. Man, they've come down since I last ran 1/8. Novas will last a long time, and they have a great sound IMO.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarleyMf2
no dont get a .28 it to much especially if your just getting into it, dont get a sportwerks its a cheap peice of crap go with a picco evo 2 and dont do pullstart its a hassle go with the starterbox.
you can trust me i drive a losi the guy above has an ae emblem hes trying to make you look bad so people go with the asshociated,lol no hes not, but the evo 2 is a little more but it will last you forever 10 times longer than a sportwerks or dynamite thats chump stuff. and this way if you decide to race your motor will be right there with the best of them
Huh? How's he trying to make anyone look bad? It was a good, informative post.

Ok, to the question:

1) Avoid pull starts... they are a huge hassle, unreliable, and there aren't really any decent engines with pull start. BTDT when I had my first car.

2) Avoid .28 engines for buggy for several reasons: They aren't class legal if you want to race, PERIOD. They have too much bottom end torque for a buggy, it will be hard to control- but they don't have the top end power of a good .21.

3) Get THIS starter box:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5429
only one motor, but it has plenty of power for breaking in the toughest racing engines, and it is as reliable as gravity. A bit big and heavy, but worth the extra effort. Direct drive, so no stupid belts to wear out or slip, etc. Get a 12v battery for it and you'll be VERY happy with the performance and reliability. Inexpensive too!

What engine to get? Wow... so many choices, and everyone has an opinion. The most reliable engines from my personal experience are RB. Great power, easy to tune, and hold a tune well... VERY tight when you first get them, so break-in can be a chore.

The OS V-SPEC doesn't last as long, but... the parts to rebuild one are SO inexpensive that in the long run it works out well. (You can get a rod, piston, and sleeve for under $100! Try THAT on anything else that is decent!) Also lots of folks are getting 10 minute runtimes- incredible for the amount of power it has. Easy to tune and holds a tune well... not as tight so break-in is about as easy as it gets.

I like my Werks motors... but they don't seem to last quite as long as the RB motors, so for the same money, I would get the RB. (One of mine has 6 gallons and needs a rod... not bad, still has good pinch...) Great power, decent runtime, a little more linear than the RB, not as peaky. (But don't put a JP1 on the B7... then it's like a light switch on throttle... STUPID power on the bottom, like running a .28!)

I know some folks that are pretty happy with the Go motors, so if you are on a budget that might be a decent choice... I've heard of some carb problems though. (I've also heard of carb problems on the Werks, although I personally haven't seen it.)
Old 07-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Huh? How's he trying to make anyone look bad? It was a good, informative post.
Good post Brad, but it's the problem with these "flavor of the week" questions that repeat themselves several times a week asking "WHAT SHOULD I GET?"
For the most part people are going to chime in with what they're using or are overly biased about, or all they can afford, and ultimately it should leave the person asking all the more confused. Yet somehow it doesn't, and next week they'll be the one giving advise to the latest noob asking the same thing.
And it's why I try and tell every one of them, and get hammered for it incessantly, to scan around the site and do some searches and read some magazines and go to your local track and survey the drivers and become knowledgable on your own ~ because taking advice in an online site, where you don't know anyone, and can't verify or justify the information you're receiving, is like going into an unlit ice cream shop and asking the fellow behind the counter to "give me something good." Best case scenario, you might get lucky; worst case scenario, you'll be throwing up all the way home.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

KD & Brad made good posts... but i highly recommend the dynamite engine... hobbyshops seem to have it around $150 amain has it way up thats actually the highest i've seen that engine... but i ran my buddies and was running 4th in an
a-main with grp's all around me... it's a good engine and dynamite seems to last a while...

DONT GET A V-SPEC... my god i can't beleive anyone actually recommended that... i have one and will never get another one again... to much($) for what you get outta them...

-DC-
Old 07-18-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

LOL. How else are you supposed to recommend something other than on your own personal experience with what you've used or are using? I'm generally opposed to the "flavor of the week" type questions too 'cause they lead to responses like "motor X s***s, don't ever buy one". But, I've run OS, RB, Nova, Dynamite, and Rossi engines and have opinions about each, so why not offer one? I try to get an idea of the person who's asking the question too, that's why I didn't suggest in PITA, tweaky, high hp ones. But he asked an intelligent question, and IMO that's part of doing his research. These things are expensive and nobody wants to get stuck with a $200 paperweight.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I run a Go Tech and would recommend for you the 3 or 7 port race versions. Mind you they are a pain to break in but is well worth all the work, all good mills are a hassle to get the start of break in done. Also there is a guy at my local track that swears by those Sportwerks .21sv2 I belive thats what they are called. He does well with them and they are not slow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.