Wiki Posts
Search

Ok, next trick - Exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Angry Ok, next trick - Exhaust manifold

Thanks for the people who have helped me so far with my queries.

Another quick question.

I'm having enormous trouble putting the manifold onto the engine. granted it is a good fit, but so good it just won't squeeze on.

i have the manifold with teh silicon grommet.... but for the life of me can't get it to go over the flange on the engine.

is there a trick to getting this thing on... it's lubed up with after run oil, but thats not helping.

anyone???

thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Have you installed the gasket on the engine before trying to put the manifold on? Install the rubber gasket over the flange on the engine before you slide your header on and you should be fine. I am assuming you have been inserting the gasket into the manifold then trying to mash it onto the engine, if not please post your steps to this point
Old 07-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

i've tried it both ways, problem i encounter when i put the gasket on the engine flange is that it tapers out and i usually have trouble getting it into the manifold.

it's too late tonight, but i'll give it another go the way you suggested tomorrow and see if that produces any results.

wish teh instructions said to put it on before installing the engine in the car....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

In order to get the gasket on the engine I always place one side of the gasket all the way over the flange. Next I hold that point on the gasket with my finger and run my other finger over the remaining extended peices of the gasket. It will naturally follow down to the point at which you are holding it in place in order to stay flush with the engine. You will most likely have to take the engine out of the chassis to accomplish this. Whatever you do, do not use a screwdriver or anything sharp to slide under the gasket as you will run the risk of either poking a small hole in it or tearing it completely. I hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i always just give the grommet a little a slobber then the manifold will slide right over
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminnay
i always just give the grommet a little a slobber then the manifold will slide right over
X2 i use a little hightemp grease and the header Slides on like BUtter.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

There different thicknesses. If it is impossible go to your LHS and look at afew. You should be able to find one a bit thinner. Generally the on that comes with the engine should be the right thickness.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

what motor is it ? some have Completely different style gaskets.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

thanks clarksib, that info was useful and once i got that rubber grommet into the manifold it all but slid on.. what a pain in the a$$ though.

ok, my next delema... that spring that wraps around the engine... do i just need brute force and a set of pliers to get it from 1 side to the other..

anyone got any little tricks for this one ..

thanks for your help so far.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy
thanks clarksib, that info was useful and once i got that rubber grommet into the manifold it all but slid on.. what a pain in the a$$ though.

ok, my next delema... that spring that wraps around the engine... do i just need brute force and a set of pliers to get it from 1 side to the other..

some header springs are OVERLY tight and will Wear out the header Really fast....i reccomend stretching the spring JUST enuff to apply decent pressure to hold the header it on....but not too lose or the header can and will fall off on a Big Landing.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TC3ElectricGuy

No problem, im glad it helped.

For the springs. They are a pain but can be done. Make sure you have a pair of needle nose pliers with the small serated(sp?) teeth on them. Place your car on the table so the exhaust pipe is facing you. Manually insert one end of the spring into the hole on the header that is on the opposite side of your engine from the exhaust pipe. Route the spring by hand under the head as low as possible around the crankcase until you have enough tension on it that it becomes tough to hold. Now take your needle nose plyers and grip the curved hook of the spring just below where it starts to curve. Make sure you have your pliers at a 45 degree angle from the spring so multiple teeth can grip it. Then grip extremely tightly with your right hand and use your left hand to guide the tip of the hook into position. It is crucial to grip the spring very tightly as you do not want it to slip out of the pliers under tension. It can hit you or tear fuel lines/carb boot.

Im sorry if this is a novel about something seamingly simple but that it the way it should be done to a T.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you still have problems.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

if the spring is too lose and you want some extra confidence, you can drill another small hole under or above the existing one and use 2 springs. make sure that no shavings get into the motor. use tape to cover the hole. dont leave the gasket on the engine. this was suggested to me by someone who has been racing nitro for years.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

thanks guys for ya help.

i was one step ahead of your clarksib, but me being the novice i am like making things more difficult for myself and put that spring around the larger part of the engine.... anyway, this stretched one side out of the spring and the following day when i was looking closer at the spring i thought if i turned it around it should be easier.. it was and i only needed that extra 5mm of stretch which i got from turning it around.

Why would these what appear to be simple jobs so damn hard... It's only a spring. lol.

Well now i'm at that stage where once again i've run out of funds (due to various fishing competitions coming up) that i have to put the car back on hold. But all thats required to get my car going now is some wheels, starter box, and some fuel.... also a few other misc. items.