R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Im new to 1/8 scale. help (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/232199-im-new-1-8-scale-help.html)

mondenet 07-15-2008 11:12 AM

Im new to 1/8 scale. help

All i owned is a old rc10 team car.

Im about to buy my first 1/8 car but im really not sure what car pick.
I been reading a lot but i still dont know.

I have 5 option.Im buy a car 100% sure at the end of the week jully 17

Used rc8 (on Ebay) at 285$ ( factory kit no motor etc) Seller told car was running for 1 day only. About 300 feedback above 98%.( i win the bid) He also had a rc8 he ran for 2 day and sold it 300$
Brand new rc8 at carolinasrc.com for 469,99
RC8 On Ebay for 400$ New in box
Losi 8th for 469,99$
Xray 808 at 599.99$

Im looking to convert my 1/8 to E right away to no RTR for me. ANy positive or negative feedback on what i should pick. Quality vs price. thx

vladconnery 07-15-2008 12:44 PM

Well you picked the top buggies so you can't go wrong. I shop at carolinas too I like those guys they know there stuff. If you don't mind shelling out the $ get the Xray. Your next choice would be the Losi. I got an excellent deal on my Losi used but you would have never known it was used. Took it up to carolinas and they couldn't believe what I paid for it. Told me it was in tip top shape. chasis did'nt have a scratch. Got mine with servo's JP2 pipe and a humpback for less than a used roller. All that said my dream buggy is the Xray but thats something a rookie should work his way up to. Some will tell you the Losi is twitchy and thats true. If you set it up like you been driving RC all your life at pro level. Start with the basic set up and work your way up to more advance set up and they are rock solid. That goes for any buggy actually. As far as used goes thats not a bad way to go the difference for me is I picked mine up personally. So I had the option to say NO if you buy it off ebay usually there are no returns. RC8's I'm not going to knock them I just didn't want one. If moneys no problem save yourself the ebay hassle and buy it from carolinas they will cut you a break.

Quality
1. Xray
2. Losi
3. RC8

Price
1. RC8
2. Losi
3. Xray

DOMIT 07-15-2008 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mondenet (Post 4639089)
All i owned is a old rc10 team car.

Im about to buy my first 1/8 car but im really not sure what car pick.
I been reading a lot but i still dont know.

I have 5 option.Im buy a car 100% sure at the end of the week jully 17

Used rc8 (on Ebay) at 285$ ( factory kit no motor etc) Seller told car was running for 1 day only. About 300 feedback above 98%.( i win the bid) He also had a rc8 he ran for 2 day and sold it 300$
Brand new rc8 at carolinasrc.com for 469,99
RC8 On Ebay for 400$ New in box
Losi 8th for 469,99$
Xray 808 at 599.99$

Im looking to convert my 1/8 to E right away to no RTR for me. ANy positive or negative feedback on what i should pick. Quality vs price. thx

I'm not positive... do you mean you drive 2wd gas truck (or electric, either one?) If so, don't worry about the Losi being "twitchy," if you can drive a 2wd truck/buggy then ANY buggy will be good.

XRay is the quality king... of the 3, if money was no object, I'd get the Xray, no question.

The Losi and RC8 are great buggies too. Any of them will make you VERY happy, provided you have the experience to handle them.

GH Racing 07-15-2008 05:52 PM

I'd go with the brand new RC8

Don Duct 07-15-2008 06:32 PM

I too had an old rc10 team car and got back in to the hobby.

I ended up getting the Losi 8ight and very happy with my choice. The handling and construction of the kit is familiar to me racing Associated RC10, 10T's and Losi electric kits in the past.

If your comfortable with electric 10th scale I'd recommend either the RC8 or Losi 8ight. The assembly and maintenance will be familiar to you.

The Xray reminds me of how some of the onroad cars are constructed, but still a great car. I can't speak to how they drive or parts availability in your area.

Don Duct 07-15-2008 08:19 PM

Oh and one more thing...

Don't let the four wheel drive of these cars set any expectations. These cars MUST HAVE four wheel drive to put the power down. To me they handle closer to two wheel drive even with all four wheels going. I use to race 4wd electric so I remember how that felt.

On my second race day I lost my front wheel drive because the pin on the center drive line going to the front gearbox came out. All I can say is... when I only had power going to my rear wheels feathering the throttle ever so gently I could not keep the buggy from instantly spinning out. I practically had to idle it back to the side of the track and there was no way I could race.

Might of had something to do with the center diff, but I do know it was not my setup or my driving. :cool:

nitrodog 07-16-2008 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Don Duct (Post 4640952)
Oh and one more thing...

Don't let the four wheel drive of these cars set any expectations. These cars MUST HAVE four wheel drive to put the power down. To me they handle closer to two wheel drive even with all four wheels going. I use to race 4wd electric so I remember how that felt.

On my second race day I lost my front wheel drive because the pin on the center drive line going to the front gearbox came out. All I can say is... when I only had power going to my rear wheels feathering the throttle ever so gently I could not keep the buggy from instantly spinning out. I practically had to idle it back to the side of the track and there was no way I could race.

Might of had something to do with the center diff, but I do know it was not my setup or my driving. :cool:

I lost my Front wheel drive once, and even though the buggy was hooked before I lost the pin the car was undrivable on 2wd.

Here's a nod in the Xray's direction, I have about a gallon through a 808 and nothing has broken or come loose, and it's pretty easy to drive. Of course I've driven the Losi for the last 18 months. The Xray does seem to be top notch as far as quality is concerned, and a neat feature is the drive pins are captured, so you won't lose 4wd due to loose pins. You can't go wrong with any of the buggies you mentioned, but I would suggest the Xray or the Losi. One downside about the RC8 is that you'll probably have to upgrade to the Big Bore shocks when AE releases them

mondenet 07-16-2008 08:02 AM

Thx for all the input. I just realise tehre is many great deal on this forum. I find out a nice Rc8 with amost upgrade for 400$ or a Losi 8 for 275$ Ill wacht the trade/sale forum closely :D