Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea >

Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nitro fuel prices went up, converting nitro buggy to lipo,brushless its a good idea

Now that the nitro fuel went up, how about making a class for lipo,brushless buggys or truggys, is this a good idea? just to keep up with this hobby' anybody have try this? any feedback?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Initiate

At the track I go to we just run the brushless with the nitro. I guess it would be nice to have a separate class where it would just be electrics. The price of nitro was a factor in converting to electric, but it sure wasn't the only one. I just don't like having to tune everytime you want to run and not to mention the noise, smell, oily mess... Yeah as you can tell, I don't like nitro very much. I'm all for having a class for brushless buggies and truggies.

Let me know if you need any help with your conversion. What buggy are you converting? Most of them are pretty easy to convert.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:47 PM
gfx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Motoman
I just don't like having to tune everytime you want to run and not to mention the noise, smell, oily mess...
Those are some of the best parts of nitro racing.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Originally Posted by gfx
Those are some of the best parts of nitro racing.
+1..............I go for nitro is because of the noise which I like the most from it
Old 07-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe the electric racers can just scream engine noises real loud as they drive..... "WHUAAAAAA!!!!....WHUAAAAAHHHH!!!!"

Just kidding.... I think.

I also like the noise of nitro buggies.... but ONLY when I'm on the stand. In the pits... all day long.... it does get old after a while.

I see the future as having both type of 1/8 racing.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Tech Regular

The nitro problem will come back around after the olympics are over hopefully. Be a little patient! Nitro is the way to go. Much more feedback from the engine with noise and temperature, etc. If there is a problem you can usually pick up on it quick and fix things without much trouble. Or if you don't catch it probably everyone at the track will and tell you to shut it down, that thing doesn't sound right!

I've seen electric stuff go out without even a puff of smoke. When those guys have trouble it's usually an expensive meltdown and a lot of troubleshooting headaches. The acceleration is awesome but batteries are still for flashlights in my opinion. I'll stick with what I like no matter what the trend is. Seems less frustrating to ME.

Even at the little track I go to we have 1/8 nitro and 1/8 electric classes. Of course the 1/8 electric I think is new this season. So far the electric has twice the participation as the Nitro.

Don't dump nitro just because of current fuel prices. Give it a chance to cool down. The electrics have major expenses too.

Last edited by bjr48; 07-13-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

the day I convert mt rc8 to electric will be the day I get out of rc. Which will be never
Old 07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Don't you love the smell of burning nitro in the morning?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

We have a couple of brushless 1/8 buggies running at our track on occasion, we just let them run with the nitro guys because there aren't enough of them. Only thing is they dominate the nitro guys, they have quicker response and less weight so they fly higher and longer than most of the nitro buggies. I will still never convert my truggy to brushless. I love buring nitro, i love tinkering, and i love the noise.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also love the sound and smell of nitro's. Real men drive nitro's, leave the electrics for women and children.

When I'm driving my truck in a local park, I don't want all the passersby to think I'm playing with a radio shack toy.
I need the VROOOM VROOOOOOM and smoke and stuff!
Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I can't see myself running electric on the track. No noise, no fun no adrenaline as you wind up the rpm heading towards a table top. Maybe for a basher "go outside, run it for 10 minutes and back in quickie thing". The day I stop running nitro, the hobby stops for me.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So fuel prices go up and you switch to electric. Next thing you know someone will come out with a lipo pack that goes alot faster but cost 300 bux and doesn't last as long so you will have to switch back to nitro.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Motoman
At the track I go to we just run the brushless with the nitro. I guess it would be nice to have a separate class where it would just be electrics. The price of nitro was a factor in converting to electric, but it sure wasn't the only one. I just don't like having to tune everytime you want to run and not to mention the noise, smell, oily mess... Yeah as you can tell, I don't like nitro very much. I'm all for having a class for brushless buggies and truggies.

Let me know if you need any help with your conversion. What buggy are you converting? Most of them are pretty easy to convert.

I have a mugen mbx5 prospec, let me know also where can i get those parts that i needed'
Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Initiate

No problem, you should be able to find everything you need from http://www.rc-monster.com/rcm.php or http://www.rcproductdesigns.com/. You'll need a motor mount, battery tray, esc, motor, and battery to get going. I would recommend at least a 4 cell lipo setup, but you can go higher and do a 6 cell lipo setup (that's what I'm running). If you go the 4 cell route, you can use a mamba max esc with a bec, but if you decide to run 6 cells you'll have to use something like the mamba monster. Also, the simplest setup is to use motor braking, the motor will provide more than enough braking strength.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I'mma nitro guy too. Although, if it came to "run electric or go home", I would convert. I highly doubt that would ever happen.
FYI, see if you can contact Tony P of Tonys Screws. He has done conversions on his own Moo cars and seems to LOVE them. Im sure he'd be very happy to offer advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.