Wiki Posts
Search

Newbee at Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default Newbee at Buggy

hi Guys,

I am newbee at offroad racing. newly I bought a rtr 1/8 buggy. I tried last week to drive the buggy. Mine main problem is. The track is very very bumpy. And it was a lot of little rocks all around the trucks. The track has 4-5 little jumps. On the straight I have realy great problem. the buugy jumps and can drive stable because of the holes and rocks. The ground is hard and with particulers. Now I need some help from your profis.

a)What for a tire shoud I drive?
b) what for a shock should I use ( ı hear a lot of big bore shocks)
c) oil ? for shoks
d) Springs?
e) diff setups?

I would very happy If any one help me. After your advise I would order springs, oil, shocks and tires.

thnx
Old 06-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

what buggy do you have.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Adept

GS STORM CL-1 PRO
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CIMRI
hi Guys,

I am newbee at offroad racing. newly I bought a rtr 1/8 buggy. I tried last week to drive the buggy. Mine main problem is. The track is very very bumpy. And it was a lot of little rocks all around the trucks. The track has 4-5 little jumps. On the straight I have realy great problem. the buugy jumps and can drive stable because of the holes and rocks. The ground is hard and with particulers. Now I need some help from your profis.

a)What for a tire shoud I drive?
b) what for a shock should I use ( ı hear a lot of big bore shocks)
c) oil ? for shoks
d) Springs?
e) diff setups?

I would very happy If any one help me. After your advise I would order springs, oil, shocks and tires.

thnx
Very hard track? Make your ride as soft as you can. Tires, Maybe pins,shocks,put lite oil in 'em ( 30-25wt) Springs, stay with what you got and change your settings. Diffs, this one we could go on for days and still might not get it right. Start with 3f 5c 7r and work from there. Hope this helps and working on it. next thing you know you'll be flying.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

thnx for advise,

and whats with big bore shocks? should I changed the shocks? What bran do u prefer?

last one. which tire brand should I use. You wrote pins type? do u have any advise for brand?
thnx
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Go to GS' website and look up Marty Korn's setup(s). Set your car up however he sets his up. A nice thing about 1/8 buggy is that the cars are heavy enough that you don't change the setup much from place to place but the suspension geometry settings are important (where and what length the upper links and lower arm angles are set). Marty is the master of this buggy so his setup will be pretty dialed and will save you alot of time experimenting so you can get down to practicing you driving and engine tuning.

Don't concern yourself with the bigbore shocks, they're the latest thing but won't benefit you much.

For tires, you can't go wrong with ProLine Crimefighters. Bowties work well too. You should be able to get them anywhere that sells RC stuff.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Tech Adept

THNX Davidka ,

On the Gs web site I cant oppen any setp-sheets. There is problem ...w.the web site. Have you any set up sheet or link for me? If yes, I would very happy if you can share.

thnx again
Old 07-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Pro-Line Hole Shots for pin tires..
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zJatoRad
Pro-Line Hole Shots for pin tires..
Bad, BAD, HORRIBLE choice for a new driver. He'll be out in the fluff a lot, this tire won't help him... and they wear out very rapidly due to the small pins. New drivers should stay away from any "small pin" tires. They have NO bite in the "fluffy" parts of the track, and a new driver will NOT be staying in the groove.

As mentioned before, ProLine Crimefighters, ProLine Bowties (Bowties are more consistant and forgiving, Crimefighters have more overall traction but can dig in an edge and upset the car more) Panther Komodo Dragons or Komodo Dragon II's, or Werks Lugs. The Werks tires have a little less traction, but even in the soft compound last 2-3 times as long! Team Cobra Pythons if you can get them...
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I recommend yu go on AMAIN hobbies, I belive it is right on the front page the GS storm to Advanced upgrade kit. It has the big bore shocks and a few other upgrades they made in the suspention deartment. I hear they arent bad buggies that is the Advanced version. The big bore shocks will make soooo much smoother and handle the rough tons better.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

Here is a setup I found from a team driver. There will be things on this list that you may not have (Jammin Silver springs for instance) but don't sweat the details. Concentrate on getting the right diff oils, shock setup (if you don't have extras just use the suggested oil and go from there) and sway bars.

Track :Coyote Hobbies
Surface: Hard packed, Dusty, Med Traction
Tires: JC Crosshairs, Yellow

Front:
1.4 pistons
60 wt
jammin silver springs
hole 3 on the tower, Inside hole on the arm
middle roll center on upper hinge pins
upper arms in forward position
1* Neg. Camber
middle Ackerman
silver sway bar
5000 Diff
28mm ride hieght

Center:
5000 Diff

Rear:
1.4 Pistons
45 wt. oil
Jammin Silver Springs
Hole 3 on the tower, middle hole on the arm
3* total toe
1* Camber
Hole 3 on the tower and Hole 3 on the hub (camber link)
long wheelbase
down position for rear anti-squat
black sway bar
28 mm ride height

I dropped a message to Marty to come over here and help you out and again, don't bother with the bigger bore shocks, they don't do as much as lots of guys think (especially for applications where the shocks have long strokes). While they may help a little it's better to just get a good setup started and learn to drive it for a while. If you're driving really well (no crashes for 10+ minutes) and somebody out accelerates you on a rough section then start thinking about upgrades.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Bad, BAD, HORRIBLE choice for a new driver. He'll be out in the fluff a lot, this tire won't help him... and they wear out very rapidly due to the small pins. New drivers should stay away from any "small pin" tires. They have NO bite in the "fluffy" parts of the track, and a new driver will NOT be staying in the groove.
I was just saying what would be a pin tire, not that he should use it, someone suggested pin tires but did not mention the tire specifically, so that's all I did.

and the point here is what tire will work, the guy said the track is hard so my guess is that hole shots will work better in this situation, but then again, that's just my opinion.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Davidka
Here is a setup I found from a team driver. There will be things on this list that you may not have (Jammin Silver springs for instance) but don't sweat the details. Concentrate on getting the right diff oils, shock setup (if you don't have extras just use the suggested oil and go from there) and sway bars.

Track :Coyote Hobbies
Surface: Hard packed, Dusty, Med Traction
Tires: JC Crosshairs, Yellow

Front:
1.4 pistons
60 wt
jammin silver springs
hole 3 on the tower, Inside hole on the arm
middle roll center on upper hinge pins
upper arms in forward position
1* Neg. Camber
middle Ackerman
silver sway bar
5000 Diff
28mm ride hieght

Center:
5000 Diff

Rear:
1.4 Pistons
45 wt. oil
Jammin Silver Springs
Hole 3 on the tower, middle hole on the arm
3* total toe
1* Camber
Hole 3 on the tower and Hole 3 on the hub (camber link)
long wheelbase
down position for rear anti-squat
black sway bar
28 mm ride height

I dropped a message to Marty to come over here and help you out and again, don't bother with the bigger bore shocks, they don't do as much as lots of guys think (especially for applications where the shocks have long strokes). While they may help a little it's better to just get a good setup started and learn to drive it for a while. If you're driving really well (no crashes for 10+ minutes) and somebody out accelerates you on a rough section then start thinking about upgrades.
Hi Davidka,

I send a message to Marty but have still no answer. ok what ever... I'll try this setup. But I need the the rear diff oil info. What for a rear diff oil (cst9 should I use?
thnx
Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I ran marty korns setup from 06 when I ran the CL-1 pro rtr, i would start there and just make small changes. Unless your track is a flatter euro track then start with the euro setup.
Your biggest problem right now is the black springs the car comes with, They are to stiff for bumpy tracks