Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
losi 8ight guys... >

losi 8ight guys...

losi 8ight guys...

Old 07-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Default losi 8ight guys...

On a day of practice and racing, what is the reualar maintance you guys do after?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Ohter than a thurough cleaning, not too much really for me...
Clean the air filter
top off the shocks
After run oil in engine
Empty the tank if its not already
check clutch bearings and shoes
look it over good for loose screws and broken/bent parts
Thats about it for me....
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Thats about all i do also. I tear mine down every 2 races just to check EVERYTHING, but so far I really haven't HAD to. I just do it for a piece of mind.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

how often do you redo the diffs?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

For me diffs are a monthly maintenence...

As far as cleaning, I kinda go overboard, I take the radio tray off, motor out (the beauty of the 2 piece motor mounts), and gas tank off, spray down with simple green, and wash it either with the garden hose (light to moderately dirty) or take it to the car wash (really nasty), spray it with the air compressor to get semi dry, coat it with WD40, then blow the excess off and allow to dry...

Works pretty good!
Old 07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Initiate

that is exactly what i do haha, well i have driven the car about 6 times now, think its time for a diff job? ooo and should i upgrade to heavy duty diff cases?
Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Its cheap insurance what they are like $6 apiece, just make sure the screws are HELLA tight, they can leak if they are not! If they leak they can melt down... I had one nuke on me! It sucks when a diff grenades in the main!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

I take it all apart and clean thoroughly. Change diff oil after two race days, shocks after 4 or 5. Most important keep it clean and check for loose screws Oh yeah, never avoid looking at your clutch. Keep the shoes shaved on the sides as they will start to wear.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After every practice/race I take the motor out and Radio tray. Then I do the Simple Green cleaning job with a water hose. Then I take the front/rear assemblies off and clean and dry under the hinge pin caps. Then I spray with WD40 spray and wipe of excess. Then I clean the motor/air filter and clean up the radio tray. Put back together and I'm done. Some people make think this to be excessive, but I do this with all of my RC's.

Shocks every couple of races, or when needed
diffs every month, or when needed
Old 07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

These guys must have alot of time on thier hands

When I was a newbie, I cleaned my car with a garden hose and ruined my receiver and most of my bearings froze up Of course, I missed the second step of spraying it with WD. Anyway, I try to keep my car away from water since it's like a gremlin.

After each race day, I take an air hose to my car combined with brushing the harder spots with a tooth brush.
I inspect the shock boots and replace any that have any large holes in them.
I replace the air filter with a nice clean/oiled one.
I try to scan over the screws and nuts for anything loose or missing.
I also spin the wheels when I'm home and it's quiet so I can listen for any squeeky bearings.
I actually change my air filter at the track if the filter gets dirty enough, but be very careful to clean the dirt around the filter tube so dirt doesn't fall down the tube when you're puting a new filter on. I think keeping a clean filter on the engine is very important for engine life.

After 2 race days, I replace the clutch bearings and top off the shock fluids. You can get the cheap bearings from amainhobbies, 10 bearings for 10 bucks.
After 4 or 5 race days, I replace the diff oil, rebuild the shocks and clean/oil wheel bearings and gearbox bearings.

Everyone has their own nicks and nacks about what to do, but if you race long enough, you'll find out what works and doesn't work for you.

But I know this for sure: If you're car is always breaking during qualifying or racing, you'll get frustrated and it won't be that much fun.
A clean/maintained car breaks less, performs better and you'll get better race results which makes racing that much more fun !

That was alot of typing. I have no life ....lol

Old 07-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

I dis-assemble my car after most race days to a bare chassis and clean all components. Clean and re-lube all CV's if not worn out. Diff re-builds every 2 to 4 race days. Shocks topped off for every race day. Clutch bell bearings and shoes inspected/cleaned up after every race day and before the main.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Clean the car with an air compressor & WD-40 after each race... new shock oil and clutch shoes every 2 to 3 races... diff rebuild every 5 or so races. I usually lack on my maintenance program though, if you have the time do it more often than I do.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Not to hijack the thread but add to it, how long are your practice/race days. We run 2 five minute heats and a 15 minute main. You can practice all you want in the morning.

Also, what do you include in the diff rebuild??

Thank you
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Raddman

Thank you
Clean out all oil and replace diff cup, seals, and gasket. Add new oil and clean/lube bearings. Inspect and grease ring/pinoin gears.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raddman
Not to hijack the thread but add to it, how long are your practice/race days. We run 2 five minute heats and a 15 minute main. You can practice all you want in the morning.

Thank you
I pratice 6 to 8 hours when I go pratice and we race 3, 5min heats and 20min mains. Fluid in the diff rebuild thats all, bearings if needed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.