Which buggy for speed runs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

have you considered the CEN matrix
Old 07-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Why not get an Inferno GT? It's got a 2 speed transmission and you can adjust ride height clearance to a certain degree.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It never ceases to boggle my mind as to why people are so adamant to conduct "speed runs" with buggies whose very purpose is almost diametrically-opposite to that usage.

What's next? Speed runs with crawlers? Crawling competitions with R/C helicopters? Monster truck speed runs in water?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

well i can give you a few good reasons.
1 because you can still use them on rough ground
2 hop up parts are readily available easy to work on.
3 the basic design of a buggy make them very stable at high speeds
4 i hate electric

chris
Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wait for the new mugen
Old 07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andy85
i love high quality products.. the way they're built, handle, feel etc.. thats why i only look into top end products
The Sportsworks line of Buggies are not cheaply made or poorly designed..milled 7075 aluminum, same diffs as what the 8ight uses, they are not "cheap"..it was a suggestion..hate to see RACING hardware not used for the proper application....sorta like seeing the grandma with a C3 Porsche..
Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chris52
well i can give you a few good reasons.
1 because you can still use them on rough ground
2 hop up parts are readily available easy to work on.
3 the basic design of a buggy make them very stable at high speeds
4 i hate electric

chris
if you want to do high speed runs get an 8th scale on road car, if you want to go in the dirt get a buggy, but its rather pointless to combine them
Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by smracer31
if you want to do high speed runs get an 8th scale on road car, if you want to go in the dirt get a buggy, but its rather pointless to combine them
most things in the hobby game can be seen as pointless, and i guess thats why its apealing. someone says it can't be done so someone else make's it happen.

aslong as the person who's hobby it is enjoys it, what does it matter

chris
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's the problem as I see it.

This kid wants to go fast. To go fast (or at least faster) there are some points that you want to try to optimize in an r/c car:

-a chassis with light weight without sacrificing reliability.

-gear ratios: often overlooked, but vastly important

-a powerplant able to deliver power for the best possible acceleration and top speed.

-most importantly, perhaps, mechanical grip: you can have an 80 000 rpm 5 hp engine, but if you aren't able to translate that power into grip to propel your car foreward efficiently, you're going nowhere fast.

Now with that in mind, let's look at the typical 1/8 buggy:

-ovrdesigned, built to withstand the rigors of off-roading, and thusly, far heavier than it on-road counterparts. Strike one.

-Gear ratios are optimized for acceleration from low to moderate speed, and only a single speed clutch, which means either acceleration or top speed have to suffer. Strike two.

-Powerplants: off-road engines will only take you so fast, even with the best gearing. An on-road engine will provide the top speed, but the buggy's single speed clutch may not get you to the speed you want in the amount of track you have available. Strike three.

-Grip: if you're trying to do this on dirt, your battle is lost before it even begun, as even the best buggy tyres will not deliver the amount of mechanical grip needed to propel the car beyond a certain speed. More power will only translate to wheelspin and thus, loss of grip. If you're going on-road, slick foams are the only way to go, and even at that, you'll need to use sugar/water or traction compound to get the best out of them.

Now with all I've said, even if you make all the necessary (and perhaps costly) revisions to your buggy, I could still smoke you in a heartbeat with a 1/8 on-road car with no exotic frills or mods. So go ahead, be special. Make my day