Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Buggy compared to truggy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Buggy compared to truggy?

I am currently running an 8ight buggy. Overall, I enjoy running the buggy, however I was considering switching to a truggy. I don't have a real good reason, other than trying something different.

For racers who have run both could you please comment on the following:

Which one (buggy or truggy) is easier to drive?
Which one is more durable?
Which class is stronger overall? I suppose this varies based on the track.
Which one is more fun overall to own?
Anything else that I did not list, but I should consider.

I prefer to stick with Losi, but I am not a die-hard fan. For a racer with average skill level, is the 8ight-T a good truggy? The initial lower cost and part availability is appealing for the 8ight-T.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The truggy is easier to drive
The buggy is more durable
the buggy class is stronger
They are equally fun to own
The 8T would be a great truggy just replace the rear outer hinge pins with the M2c 5/32 pins and you will be set.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brianr34
I am currently running an 8ight buggy. Overall, I enjoy running the buggy, however I was considering switching to a truggy. I don't have a real good reason, other than trying something different.

I prefer to stick with Losi, but I am not a die-hard fan. For a racer with average skill level, is the 8ight-T a good truggy? The initial lower cost and part availability is appealing for the 8ight-T.
Truggy is easier to drive and it's more durable. Buggy is proabaly a little bit bigger class than truggy cause it's more competitive, but it also depends what the racers at your local track race the most. Everyone I know says the truggy is the most fun. I dont have a truggy or a buggy but I have driven both and I liked the buggy as much as the truggy. The losi is good, but im going to try the Kyosho ST-RR truggy when I get enough money. Hope this helps.

Mitch
Old 07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I started with an 8ight buggy last season and bought an 8ight truggy for this season. WOW! Totally different animals. The buggy takes WAY more finesse to drive. You can drive the truggy much more aggressive than the buggy and get away with it. The truggy is much more forgiving handling-wise. The jury is still out on durability but so far, it's holding up quite well.

I'm still partial to the buggy because of the handling characteristics, but on a REALLY rough track, I enjoy the truggy more because it just handles the rough stuff so much better. On a decent track, the buggy is much more entertaining to me.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM

The class size depends a lot on where you are, at the three closest tracks to me truggy is a larger class but at other tracks I have been to buggy is larger, just depends on where you drive.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by brianr34

hey brian

#1 truggy -it's a lot more forgiving
#2 buggy -the truggy is very strong I've never broken anything on the 8t but wear on parts is higher due to the increased weight
#3 as you said this depends on the local environment
#4 if you just want to have fun racing the truggy is more forgiving and you'll probably enjoy it more

the only other thing to cosider is running costs.

truggy tanks are bigger 150cc and last about the same time as a buggy, tires are more expensive but some last longer than buggy tires, clutches wear faster due to the extra weight.

If you go for the 8T definately get the rear bearing inserts and keep an eye on the centre front driveshalft and the diff casings on the centre and rear diffs

Hope this helps

Adrian
Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO RC
hey brian

#1 truggy -it's a lot more forgiving
#2 buggy -the truggy is very strong I've never broken anything on the 8t but wear on parts is higher due to the increased weight
#3 as you said this depends on the local environment
#4 if you just want to have fun racing the truggy is more forgiving and you'll probably enjoy it more

the only other thing to cosider is running costs.

truggy tanks are bigger 150cc and last about the same time as a buggy, tires are more expensive but some last longer than buggy tires, clutches wear faster due to the extra weight.

If you go for the 8T definately get the rear bearing inserts and keep an eye on the centre front driveshalft and the diff casings on the centre and rear diffs

Hope this helps

Adrian
Also the ring and pinions on the 8ight-T are a problem area... keep an eye on them. If you destroy a pinion gear... you should replace the ring, pinion, and plastic diff housing (not the case, although those wear also... get the heavy duty diff cases with the metal inserts) meaning the part that the diff sits inside of and the shock tower bolts to. And absolutely, positively get the aluminum bearing holders for the rear diff.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks for all of the feedback so far about the truggy.

Could someone explain the different offsets for truggy tires? I have heard the term, but I do not understand what it means. How many offsets are there for a truggy and what is reason for the offsets?

Also, would a 8ight-T with a stock set-up, only be able to run certain offsets.

I mainly would be racing on an indoor track, so any help on the offsets would be appreciated.