Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry Trouble need help

I just bought a Sportwerks Turmoil 1/8 scale from a fellow racer. It has the .26 VZW engine. It had the crank start in back of the motor when I got it. It was running fine until the one way bearing started slipping. Anyway, I put on a pull start eliminator back plate and new motor mounts so I can use a starter box. Today I tried turning the motor over and the starter box motor wouldnt do it. I bought it new yesterday, It is the ofna universal starter box. I took out the glow plug and tried starting it ad still no luck. Also, I am using my vehicles battery to run the starter box motor. Please help, Ive been working on this thing for a week straight.

Thnaks,
Brayden Edwards
Old 06-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

couple things off the top of my head.
1. make sure fly wheel is perfectly straight with the starter wheel(no rubbing on box)
2. heat your engine up to about 200degrees.
3. make sure the flywheel has some play. In other words if you put it on the box and it's at top dead center "TDC" good luck. Make sure it's not TDC.
4. make sure your batteries are charged. I like 7cells as they make starting much easier.
5. try so start it up.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

I dont understand the top dead center
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Ok let me try to state this some what right. Spin your fly wheel clockwise. when it is hard to turn it is at the top. This means your piston is at the top of the glow plug. If you are trying to start your ride at TDC it won't happen.
Spin it right past TDC then it will be loose. Now you'll have some momentum when starting the mill.
Good luck
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Just getting back into things

Ive never really looked at which way the flywheel turns, but wouldnt it correct itself if its turning the opposite direction? Which way is it supposed to turn? Clockwise like you said?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

you can turn it either way. Justn make sure it is loose and not TDC. I do believe it does start clockwise.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Sooo I got it running... but because I moved the motor cog down with the pullstart eliminator backplate and lower motor mounts I think I messed with the throttle linkage...When I start it, it revs really high and doesnt stop, I closed the idle needle and still nothing, When I hit the gas it bogs down, I thought it was the low speed needle but its not...Does anyone know how to set the linkage?