Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How do you know your plug is bad? >

How do you know your plug is bad?

How do you know your plug is bad?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default How do you know your plug is bad?

If i put my plug in my ignitor and it glows, does that mean its still good? Should I keep using them untill they stop glowing?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the coil is not misaligned, or damaged and it still glows, it is probably good.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

first off, does your engine run properly? if not, the top coil could have too much carbon buildup. or not ignight all the way. Making it not idle properly. It can light up in your ignighter, and still not keep your engine running.

If you even have a question that it might be bad, just replace it!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Hi, normally a non-turbo plug can last how many tank if the engine tune right? Thanks.

Last edited by tkhoo; 06-25-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Madbrad
If i put my plug in my ignitor and it glows, does that mean its still good? Should I keep using them untill they stop glowing?
Generally I don't use them till the go bad, or stop igniting, and I instead replace them relative to how many tanks I run - and that way don't get caught out in the middle of a race. I'll save the used ones for practice or back-ups - but they're pretty cheap and it's good to keep a few spares on hand at all times. Popping in a new one can answer a lot of questions, whereas a used one can leave you wondering.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RocketRob40
Generally I don't use them till the go bad, or stop igniting, and I instead replace them relative to how many tanks I run - and that way don't get caught out in the middle of a race. I'll save the used ones for practice or back-ups - but they're pretty cheap and it's good to keep a few spares on hand at all times. Popping in a new one can answer a lot of questions, whereas a used one can leave you wondering.

9-11 if not more for a turbo plug..That is not cheap..Heck even a OS # 8 cost me 7-8 bucks.....I hate buying glow plugs
Old 06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by rossoh10
9-11 if not more for a turbo plug..That is not cheap..Heck even a OS # 8 cost me 7-8 bucks.....I hate buying glow plugs
OK, let's figure it out - you go for a dy at the track, drive 20 minutes or longer to get there, and half an hour into your running the car dies, you finally check the plug to find out it's bad - and have to go home since the lhs isn't open on sunday. Or you're in the middle of a race, and the motor dies (same problem) and you lose a podium spot. Or you're like this guy, can't get your car running or keep it running and don't know it's the plug because you won't shell out a few bucks to keep new spares on hand?

how much did that misadventure cost you?

lol - have you actually read your own signline, or are you one of those "do as I say, but not as I do" types?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My O.S. P-3 plug lasted me 3 gallons. it's the same plug I broke it in with. My pit guy flooded my engine this last weekend trying to start it, and it finally died, replaced it and I was good again. didn't ruin any races at all. I plan on going another couple gallons, but I always have a new one as a back up.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If your motor is tuned right, a good glow plug can last 1 tank or multiple gallons.

I try to put in a fresh one every gallon or so unless there is some urgent reason to change it such as a loss of air filter, fuel/air leak or engine failure.

It is always good to have a couple fresh spares. Once in awhile do not work right out of the package.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Plugs can look great, and glow, but still not work right. It's funny to me how some guys sacrifice their whole program using an old plug, especially at a race or for a main. Just think how much you have invested in your outing, don't jeopardize the whole thing using an old plug. Make sure you have a good supply, and replace them if you have a problem. If the car runs better, chuck the old plug. If you find out there was some other problem, keep the old plug and use it later. my .02
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can go ahead and slam me if you want but if you can't scrap up enough pennys for a new one you should start re-thinking about this hobby. And I know this will get me bet apond.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rossoh10
I also dislike spending lots on glow plugs, that's why I'm into these ones... There much cheaper and work great.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/12-Glow-Plugs-Fir...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

I know it costs allot to keep a big supply of plugs, but I get mine from A main if we need different kinds... We are fortunate that Sirio makes very good plugs. The burn is better, and they will actually give your engine more power, no joke. The combustion is pure with a Sirio plug.