R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Modded Engine Question (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/228342-modded-engine-question.html)

bigterp77 06-22-2008 09:32 PM

Modded Engine Question

Im in the market for a new engine. Are the modded engines worth the extra cash. I was looking at the vspec and at amain they have a couple different variations. Is performance as a night and day comparison as it seems. What do the typically do? Any other company stand out as better? If it is modded, how does it effect the warranty?

houston 06-22-2008 09:34 PM

warranty on nitro engines ? didnt know they had such a thing .

PowerHouse 06-22-2008 09:55 PM

There are alot of good modded engines out there and each company has different view and ideas they incoperate into their engines on what they feel is important. Your best bet is to talk to people and find out what type of performance gains they got from different engine modifiers and base it off of what you think is important and that will most likely be your best decision. I am a modder myself and you can visit my site at www.PowerHouseRCPerformance.com to read up on my techniques. I also have a thread on here and I have some good reports from customers along with some recent photos of the finished product. Thats my best advice to you. Take care and good luck with your search.

pitpop 06-22-2008 10:07 PM

Sirio STI Needs No Modding

If you buy a Sirio EVO4 STI, you will be running the same engine the factory pros will run at the IFMAR World Championship. They will be running box stock engines broken in on the bench with a propeller. Just break it in slow, and the engine needs nothing, just fuel. :)

Tony Newland 06-22-2008 10:15 PM

wassup PK, Hooooooston

modded engines are for bench racing...... Vspecs, STI's.......anything quality has more power than just about any track will hold.....

I run a 6mm restrictor in my Vspec because it makes the HP drivable/smoother in the infield and havnet been passed by anything in a long time on the straights.

blowpopracer 06-23-2008 02:30 PM

Modders and weather to do it or not is a highly opinionated topic. Just a couple things to remember. If you are looking to have a motor modded you need to ask yourself what you are wanting out of it. Some people like myself just want the biggest and badest for bragging rights, even though I know at my skill level it is not needed. Others want a more driveable engine(more linear power band). And others want mileage. Depending on what the modder does determines this.

There are benefits to having a modded engine besides just "bench racing" but that depends upon what it is you are looking for. My suggestions is to do some research and try and find the modder who can accomplish what it is that you are looking for.

Good Luck!

jamminnay 06-23-2008 07:56 PM

i prefer a more linear motor.. being smooth is way faster in the end!!

Hal Hudson 06-23-2008 08:05 PM

Tony, get your hands on a Ninja JX21 and you will be putting your V-Spec on the shelf. Ran one at this weekends NCT race at Pasco and finished 2nd behind Mr Taylor Petersen. We couldn't keep up with him with the V-Spec. Different story with the ninja. See you at the Manufactures Cup. Houston you still hiding out there?

Tony Newland 06-23-2008 08:58 PM

haha when have you ever seen me hurtin for power?

I'll give ya a call Hal

MassiveMods 06-23-2008 09:13 PM

Modding is really for people who want something particular out of the engine. A good engine modder can give you that . Some just do sleeve guide mods and it really does nothing to the performance. Where you will get some gain is with someone that changes the port timing . I know powerhouse do it , Brian from Pro twister does , and we do.. I love running modified engines when i race .. i just know what i have on tap .. but its up to you to then use it wisely. Faster isnt always fastest ..

MM

www.massivemods.com

houston 06-23-2008 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Newland (Post 4569550)
haha when have you ever seen me hurtin for power?

I'll give ya a call Hal

i'm not hidin hal !!! just makin money and playin with engines (nova of course)up to about 20 now :D doin alot of new things that make big differences !! i might make it to the man. cup , can i stay with you ? :weird::D as far as "modding" engines , most engines dont really need modifications but there a few that need it and you can tell when you start running em . :nod:

Hal Hudson 06-23-2008 10:19 PM

Mike and I are staying at the track again this year. The drive home every night would take to long. Hope to see you and some of our Oregon friends this year.

infanterene 06-29-2008 07:53 AM

I have a Maxy Mod Vspec. It is smoother on the bottom and has more top than stock. It also has way, way better runtime. I love these motors. I bought a speed when they were out of stock and dont like it as much.

I also had 2 motors modded by someone else that cost me a fortune and sucked. They were untunable and had a terrible power band. They were like light switches on/off. They also suffered from ghost flameouts. I will not mention who modded them but if anyone needs to know PM me.

racer12306 06-29-2008 10:13 AM

What is involved in modding an engine?

I have access to a lathe and a mill and most anything that would be needed to mod one of these. It would be something fun to mess with since its cheaper than cars (well, at my level it is).

infanterene 06-29-2008 10:15 AM

All you need is a little dremmel and alot of knowledge/experience.