Clutch Bearing Maintenance >

Clutch Bearing Maintenance

Clutch Bearing Maintenance

Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clutch Bearing Maintenance

Hi all,

I have just got a new lot of clutch bearings (10pk) and some ceramic ones as well.. I tried the ceramic ones and they dried up real quick after just 1 run at the park, they are still real smooth just dry

I am going to clean them all out and use a better lube as i think they have been either under lubed or sh1tty lube has been used...

what is better, using bearing oil or bearing grease?

I know the grease will last longer at the cost of more friction but i thought it might be better for clutch bearings...

If i use bearing oil, will the oil last the life of the bearings or will i need to oil them more than once? i am going to change them about every half gallon or so.

What type of oil do i need for the bearings?

til now i have been use a PFTE grease made by innox but its hard to get in these tiny bearings.

also how do you guys oil you bearings? just pop off the nylon shield and add a couple drops after i have blown out the old stuff or can you do it with the shield on?

thankyou!!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i buy cheap 1 dollar bearings from amain or avid use them for a race day or 2 then throw them away
Old 06-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default clutch

I agree with cheesecake, but being a titewad its hard to throw away good bearings.. I boil them in mobil 1 an reuse. I do this after a weekend of racing. yet to have a bearing failure. sure its a lot of extra work but I enjoy doing it and I"m saving a few bucks... good luck
Old 06-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

One drop of marvel mystery oil in each bearing after race day keeps my bearings lasting a long time. When they start feeling gritty or wobbly replace them. To much oil and you just end up soaking the clutch shoes/bell with oil that is thrown off.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

cheezeball is correct on this one...just use boca or avid -1.00 each and swap them out after every race... 2.00 is all it costs and if that is too much u are in the wrong hobby lol
Old 06-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbrow1
One drop of marvel mystery oil in each bearing after race day keeps my bearings lasting a long time. When they start feeling gritty or wobbly replace them. To much oil and you just end up soaking the clutch shoes/bell with oil that is thrown off.
And since you really need to pull the motor to do that... why not just replace the bearings? Cheap insurance. There's nothing worse than the feeling of not finishing a race because of something like a bearing failure that you could have prevented.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i just put in new ones.. i never worry about oil or grease. if they are gritty toss them IMO
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

TKO bearings my friend, u will never regret using them, I made the switch just a few weeks ago, and still haven't blown one yet, run them in truggy and buggy!!!!!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toiffel
TKO bearings my friend, u will never regret using them, I made the switch just a few weeks ago, and still haven't blown one yet, run them in truggy and buggy!!!!!
How much are they? Are they steel or ceramic?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toiffel
I agree with Toiffel! TKO is the ticket! To clean and relube I pop one sheild out and use the sonic turbo wash tub sold at TKO and relube with a little Euraka lube also sold at TKO.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
How much are they? Are they steel or ceramic?

Thanks
Steel.. They are marked as the "special" clutch bearings. Well worth a little extra $$$
Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

buy in packs of ten from walawala store on flea bay, remove all the grease then re-oil with acer sin lube, no clutch slip from lube been thrown over the clutch which always happened with greased bearings and the bearings are now supersonic
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've used Avid revolutions since they came out and not had a single clutch bearing failure in that time......

I pull the yellow seal off and blow the grease out with either an air compressor or motor spray (I've ran them dry for years-no lube).... re-install seal and run them for about a gallon and throw them away. It doesnt matter which way you run the seal, I've ran them both and there's no difference in life.

The key to clutch bearing life if chassis flex and having enough fore and aft play. I run alot of play, 2-3mm and my car's chassis doesnt allow the clutch bell to hit the chassis. Not monitoring these 2 things will cost you a grundle in bearings....

Avid revolutions - dead reliable and cheap $1/ea

Ceramics for me have been nothing but problems
Old 06-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Good point Tony when meshing i cut a strip of paper from a normal A4 printer sheet just wider than the cb gears fold it in half then work it between spur and cb, push motor so cb is tight to spur tighten motor down remove paper you need to turn spur to get it out and you now have a well meshed cb/spur it works every time
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slow coach
Good point Tony when meshing i cut a strip of paper from a normal A4 printer sheet just wider than the cb gears fold it in half then work it between spur and cb, push motor so cb is tight to spur tighten motor down remove paper you need to turn spur to get it out and you now have a well meshed cb/spur it works every time
I also do that for mesh settings

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.