Wiki Posts
Search

Which truggy engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Which truggy engine?

If you could have any engine you wanted, no matter the cost, what would it be and why. I am looking to get another engine for the strr
Old 06-16-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/item.asp?item=TRI40103

Features:

"The ExTech .24 engine will give Truggy Racers that extra power they desire, that a .21 size engines can't offer . In the past the .28 size engines were the only option to get this extra power. And with fuel effi ciently being a big part of the pit strategy at today's events the .28 size engines are rarely seen at full competition racing. That's were the ExTech .24 engine stands out. Not only is the power equal to some .28 engines, but the ExTech .24 will get the run time of a typical Race .21 size engine.

It's the design of the Extech .24 that makes this engine the power house that it is. The square Bore and Stroke (17.17mm) and Long Rod (29.997mm) design gives the engine a better balance, which increases power and effi ciently throughout the power curve. Not only does the .24 have the bottom-end power of a typical Race .28, but has the upper rpm power to keep pulling you down the longest straight you may encounter.

Until now most .28's or .25's size engines have used the .21 size engine stroke with a punched out bore. And typically use the short rod (29.48mm) of the 21 engine. That's not the case on the ExTech .24 Truggy Engine. The Bore / Stroke have been increased and squared to give better performance throughout the entire power curve. Offering the best power and fuel effi ciency from any race engine out there!"–Ed Bridges

"The ExTech .24 engine will give Truggy Racers that extra power they desire, that a .21 size engines can't offer . In the past the .28 size engines were the only option to get this extra power. And with fuel effi ciently being a big part of the pit strategy at today's events the .28 size engines are rarely seen at full competition racing. That's were the ExTech .24 engine stands out. Not only is the power equal to some .28 engines, but the ExTech .24 will get the run time of a typical Race .21 size engine.

It's the design of the Extech .24 that makes this engine the power house that it is. The square Bore and Stroke (17.17mm) and Long Rod (29.997mm) design gives the engine a better balance, which increases power and effi ciently throughout the power curve. Not only does the .24 have the bottom-end power of a typical Race .28, but has the upper rpm power to keep pulling you down the longest straight you may encounter.

Until now most .28's or .25's size engines have used the .21 size engine stroke with a punched out bore. And typically use the short rod (29.48mm) of the 21 engine. That's not the case on the ExTech .24 Truggy Engine. The Bore / Stroke have been increased and squared to give better performance throughout the entire power curve. Offering the best power and fuel effi ciency from any race engine out there!"–Ed Bridges.

All engines will be broken in, carb fl ow checked and dyno tuned. A dyno spec sheet will come with each motor.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

just get a O.S V-Spec and be done with it. Alot of guys have tried the .28's and everything else and they all seem to go right back to the v-specs
Old 06-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcpipeliner
just get a O.S V-Spec and be done with it. Alot of guys have tried the .28's and everything else and they all seem to go right back to the v-specs
And they are legal in buggy, which makes it versatile.
I have a .28 and its because out of control power is not just fun to try and harness, but a thrill to unleash. Big grin speed.

Heres the one we have.
O.S. 28XZ
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2074.html

If its to fast fatten it up.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If I had to do it again my RB C6 L2G/ pipe combo would be what I would purchase again, with a decent tune I can go at least 7.5 minutes. I haven't timed a full tank on a near perfect tune.

It has more than enough low and top end, at the RC pro in STL my weight seemed a bit more in my XT8 than alot of others and I did not see anyone that had more motor. If in fact they did they could not put it to use. The only other motor I have driven in a truggy is another guys XT8 with a LRP .28 and the low end was nothing near what I have, even after seriously tuning on it.

Fuel mileage is key in any racing, and I feel that a good tuned .21 is the way to go for serious competition. Just my opinion....
Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldp787
Fuel mileage is key in any racing, and I feel that a good tuned .21 is the way to go for serious competition. Just my opinion....
+1
Old 06-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tbone Revo
If you could have any engine you wanted, no matter the cost, what would it be and why. I am looking to get another engine for the strr
Honestly ~ you're asking the flavor of the week question ("what should I get?"), we seem to get a lot of these on every forum this time of year when the kids get out of school, and because there are so many types and brands you'll get a lot of different answers and opinions.
And thus the best thing you can do is educate yourself, by reading more and asking fewer questions, and make your own decision.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Well I have had experience with v-specs and they dont last imo. I have a ninga 21 now and it is awsome and now I have the oppertunity to some good money into a new engine and was trying to see what people liked and didnt like. I have a friend that runs an os speed v-spec and loves it and he also has a new grp engine that he loves. I have drivin a strr with the sirio 21 and liked it so i am just seeing what else is out there.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tbone Revo
Well I have had experience with v-specs and they dont last imo. I have a ninga 21 now and it is awsome and now I have the oppertunity to some good money into a new engine and was trying to see what people liked and didnt like. I have a friend that runs an os speed v-spec and loves it and he also has a new grp engine that he loves. I have drivin a strr with the sirio 21 and liked it so i am just seeing what else is out there.

Well nothing "lasts," as for the most part people are discussing race motors. Racer motors never last in comparison to rtrs.
Otherwise I guess you've seen or heard enough from others to know there are plenty of options - because everyone luvs something - otherwise asking for more is like instead of just buying some ice cream that you go to Baskin Robbins.

Flip a coin
Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by oldschoolracer
Well nothing "lasts," as for the most part people are discussing race motors. Racer motors never last in comparison to rtrs.
Otherwise I guess you've seen or heard enough from others to know there are plenty of options - because everyone luvs something - otherwise asking for more is like instead of just buying some ice cream that you go to Baskin Robbins.

Flip a coin
When I say last, I mean more than a gallon or two. I had a novarossi that had ten gallons on it and I still use it as a back up now. What engine do you run old school? You seem to be saying alot but not answering the question.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If money isnt a problem a jp modified b5 black engine would top my list. I have one and love it. It holds a tune so well I cant believe it, not to mention power is good,fuel economy is great and it will last. I have 5 gallons on mine and not one single problem! I finally changed the glow plug for good measure but it never went out once, not even during break in! Several of my buddies have one as well and theirs all have 12 plus gallons on them.

Otherwise if you wanna spend a little less and want quality, good mileage,reliable,linear, etc get a falcon .21. They can be hard to find but they are awesome motors, similar to the old ninja but has some differences. If your interested in one pm me and I can tell you where in the u.s. to buy one.

Good luck with your choice as there are lots of good engines out there. I like to run stuff you dont see in every buggy/truggy out there. I have the jp mod in my truggy and it has plenty of power, I even detuned it so I could drive it better. Thats another thing Im impressed with the jp mod b5 is how much you can tune to performance or detune and still runs great. It has such a broad tuning range. The falcon would be plenty too, but I have only 2 gallons on it so I cant say if I like it as much as the jp mod though.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

If you want an excellent Truggy motor, go with that new Ninja/OS motor, thing is amazing for the money...you wont be disappointed! RC CAR magazine did a review on the motor and shows detailed pics in the July 08 issue if you want further info on the motor.

Last edited by Jesse; 06-16-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

This is just my 2 cents, but i'd go with the RB C6 BB7T with the pipe combo. This engine has alot of bottom end that a truggy needs. Plus a great run time.

Chuck
Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1 for the RB C6 with 2045 pipe combo.
Awesome top end power
Great fuel economy
Nice smoothe powerband
Great bottom end muscle

IMHO the best motor I have ever driven, but I have limited experience though!

I started with an OS RG, then bumped up to a sportwerks V1 mill, then upgraded to a cheap "on sale" blue headed Novarossi rig, then this year I bought an RB S3 and the aforementioned RB C6 with 2045... So I am upgrading every time I swap motors!

But I dont know about my next one? Can I beat the C6? I have heard good things about the GO motors... Might try one of those next?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by thecman26
IMHO the best motor I have ever driven, but I have limited experience though!
well, that's advice worth considering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.