Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Already decided but.... >

Already decided but....

Already decided but....

Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Already decided but....

Ok, I probably already decided or at least narrowed it down to the last two choices.

but for old times sake lets do this 1 final last time for me.

Ill even make a poll.

Out of these 4 buggies which would you get and why?

scratch that can't make polls?

ok then.

Ofna 8.5 Pro
AE RC8
Mugen MBXR-5
Losi 8ight

I would like to considering everything, durability, handling, wrench time, etc.

also if this helps anyone, my 2 local shops carry tons of Ofna and AE parts.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Best bang for the buck is the Hyper 8.5 pro.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

if your LHS carries ofna and ae, then the better choice would be the rc8...but for durabilty and wrench time, the mugen mbx5r is the winner..just my .02....
Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

I know when it comes to r/c alot is perference.

I own a G4S and NEVER broke it, other people may have, I think the car is a tank, to others it might be a fragile little lamb.

but this sunday I will go see what people are running and that to get, I saw the hyper 8.5 pro in person and everything on it looks beefed out and indestructable.

I am currently leaning towards the 8.5 pro, my buddy drives one and the shop where we run has parts for it soooooo maybe thats the obvious good choice.

I still havent seen any of them run in person so as far as durability I don't know.

but as many of you know and see, its all preference, I have gone to certain websites and taken the rc8 for example, its 60/40 mixed reviews, more praising its durability, but lots bringing it down saying its not durable or the most fragile buggy they ever drove, but then again alot of people buy a buggy expecting it to be indestructible, break it the first time out on a huge crash and throw negative comments around like nothing.

to prove my point (and dont take this personally) the first 2 people to post liked the hyper 8.5 pro and the mugen mbxr5 and what do they drive? those cars respectively. My point is in today's market its hard to find a non bias good review.

and I know im making this much more difficult than it really is, I should just pick a bugyg out of a hat buy it, and I will probably be happy with it, but someone has to see where I am coming from.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by buckeye34
if your LHS carries ofna and ae, then the better choice would be the rc8...but for durabilty and wrench time, the mugen mbx5r is the winner..just my .02....
+1 on associated.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Tech Regular

Thought u already decided a few posts ago?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
Thought u already decided a few posts ago?
I thought so too.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought so too..
Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

as you can clearly see I havent decided 100% yet because I haven't bought anything yet...
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by petevette
+1 on associated.
+2
Old 05-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Of all the choices you listed, I would opt for the Mugen: it's tough, well designed, does not suffer from significantly premature parts wear and most of all, is probably the most forgiving car to drive. The downside is that it'll be discontinued in a matter of a few months now, and as yet no one knows what the parts commonality will be with the MBX6.

While others like to bash it, the Losi is also a great car and probably has the greatest potential of al the buggies you listed... If you can exploit it. The car seems to wear some parts like the front CVD and steering more quickly than others, but depending on where you live, parts are usually very easy to get and cheap. It also holds up great for racing and isn't known to break easily.

RC8: the car has great potential, but ever since AE was bought out by the godless commies, quality has suffered perhaps more than other brands, and whatever you think you'll save on initial cost you'll spend on aftermarket hop-ups to fix all the little things that the factory neglected to make properly. Seems like the easiest car to work on of the bunch.

Hyper 8.5: also in its twilight, soon to be replaced by the H9. Otherwise, seems like a fairly durable racer and good parts availability, even if it doesn't get as much of the spotlight as the other cars.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

This is not biased, because I dont drive a buggy but I am getting 1 soon. I Race truggy and marshall buggy and by far I like the RC8 its nimble, light, parts are cheap, and abundant. Now I like the 8.5 but I wouldnt get it just because it is going to be outdated very soon, and it looks like the Mugen will be also. Now at my local track the eight breaks, actually its the only buggy this year that broke and it did more than once.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Regular

You'll be stolked with any of those rigs. Any new car will most likely have part support for the older ones your wanting to get. It would be dumb if they made the 9 without 8.5 support. They want you to upgrade the 8.5 to the 9 right? Most of the racers around here have the 8ight. I love my 8t. Just have fun and race
Old 05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I wouldn't go for the mugen right now.
they are coming out with a new buggy fairly soon.
I'd probably go with the RC8
Old 05-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Mugen has some post-Worlds revisions coming...

Losi is the lightest on its feet; but also slightly unforgiving.

The 8.5 is proven and has outstanding support via NitroHouse....but I'd wait on the 9...

The AE so far has been notoriously week and I question its overall capacity under club-style race tracks that are small/tight.

If I had to do anything right now; I'd go Losi (and I've been running a Jammin' for three years; so no bias in that dept.).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.