Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Nats gripe

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viper0463
Man I hope you don't say things like that to people at the track.. I can just see it, 100 entries and some 14 year old kid takes 50th and you say hay man chin up your the 50th looser I bet thats a good way to keep them comming back.. Not everybody is going to win but theres no need to rub it in their face that they didn't..
Obviously not. I am one of the most supportive and helpful people at the track.
I just hate seeing people whine about not winning when they really aren't good enough to win.
When I started racing, there was no separation of classes, and yes, I did finish in the Z main. Did I complain, no, I just practiced and worked on getting better. The splitting of classes is a relatively new thing. I hear people wanting more and more classes so that they have a better chance of winning. How about practicing and earning it like those of us who have paid our dues??
Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Man I hope you don't say things like that to people at the track.. I can just see it, 100 entries and some 14 year old kid takes 50th and you say hay man chin up your the 50th looser I bet thats a good way to keep them comming back.. Not everybody is going to win but theres no need to rub it in their face that they didn't..
+1
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by slow coach
must of missed that one, was it a hollywood overbudget, overhyped flop that normally comes out.

to finish first first you have to finish yeah heard them all.

no i dont think that at all but all the mains are a race!!!!!!! so what because you dont come top of the tree you dont deserve to be recognised for your achievement, by recognition it does need to be infered a trophy a simple hobby voucher well done shake hands a few words "watched your race well done" by the roar official simple things make the biggest gestures.

p.s. without second place there is no first place
Yes, I am a joker and like to make people laugh. I say things all the time to do this so don't take it too seriously.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jesse
no its called running a totally different engine that you were not suppose to run.

thats fine if they ran shocks AE manufactured, but if they ran Jammin shocks that makes no sense lol
I understand your point but let me explain how this works (I'm not a sponsered driver but I've made a living playing a different game since I was 20and that game has just as many products as rc). Sponsers are sponsers and you're representing the brand, not necessarily the product so it's not false advertisement. As long as you win with your sponsors logo then their happy. Some contracts stipulate you have to use their product some don't but again you're being supported by the brand not the product. You're paid to represent the product and company, represent is the key word here. In my profession we go to great lenghts to take off lables, hide the equipment under towels so people don't see what we're actually using but they do see our logoed shirts, hats and bags. At the highest level, which is what we're talking about here, it's about winning and paychecks and your equipment is what you use to do those things and you use whatever you think will give you that competitive advantage to win and get paid.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C Branch
Obviously not. I am one of the most supportive and helpful people at the track.
I just hate seeing people whine about not winning when they really aren't good enough to win.
When I started racing, there was no separation of classes, and yes, I did finish in the Z main. Did I complain, no, I just practiced and worked on getting better. The splitting of classes is a relatively new thing. I hear people wanting more and more classes so that they have a better chance of winning. How about practicing and earning it like those of us who have paid our dues??

and yet you replied to my post with your comment about losers, you dont know me i have also paid my way from year dot when i started racing with my schumacher procat look it up! i do welll locally and enjoy travelling to bigger events to pitch my skills against the best i know im going to lose but i try my hardest your comment was out of context and out of order, takes a bigger man to say sorry
Old 06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

What about recognition of achievement or does that not matter, basically what you are saying is that the only person who deserves a trophy is no1

there are some big egos in here who basically want to belittle the racers who pay their wages, some of you guys are sending some bad vibes to the likes of me who dont care that i will never be pro or even close but enjoy racing
I guess I'm not following what you are trying to say. What kind of recognition are you looking for? You say you will never be or even close to a pro and you just enjoy racing..

That is exactly where I am at in my hobby, and the only achievement I look for is to finish every race I start. If I make an a-main then that's great. If I make a B-main and bump that's great to. Some of the best times I've had is racing guys of my skill level in lower mains for a bump up position...and losing. I don't consider it losing though, just that they drove better than me and I got what I went racing for, which was a great day spent doing what I like with people I enjoy being around.

But yes, 2nd place is the first loser in competition. If it were any other way than we wouldn't need transponders when we were out on the track.

And if you really want to recognize something then go look at the laptimes of the mains, yours and the winner of the a-main. Then recognize how all his laps are within 2 seconds of eachother and yours (mine) are within 10 seconds of eachother. Then realize it wasn't the engine or the shocks that was truly the difference.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I started in Electric. And there were seperate classes. They were 4whl Mod, 2whl Mod and 2whl Stock. I went to my first Nats in 1988 and was in the O in Stock and the R in Modified. The mains went all the way down to I think the FF or GG not sure but was alot. Over the next year I practiced as much as possible and was 2nd qualy in the B in Mod and Won the Stock A main with 620 total entries in 3 classes.

Now adays everyone wants special classes so that they can win something. The only way I got better was racing against Cliff Lett, Jay Halsey, Jack Johnson, Mark Pavidis, Rick Hohwart, Gil Losi to name a few.

I remember this kid that started racing in Monster Truck class and he wanted to know how to get better. I started helping him out as much as possible. I told him you have to race against the best and not just in the Novice classes. I told him to step up and run in either stock or modified. I gave him my extra motors and tires that were used and used parts to fix his cars. I helped him to learn how to work on his cars and learn how to set them up. He eventually got better and just raced modified. And now Brian Kinwald is one of the best drivers in the history of our Hobby just by practicing and wanting to be better than anyone else.

If you wanna be good at something the only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice. When I was an Indycar mechanic we practiced pitstops at the shop everday. Then we did them at the track. So when it came down to crunch time for the race it was actually easy.

So everyone quit your whinning and start practicing.

I used to use springs from other companies on my RC10 and I used to modify my chassis. Some things that no one else did. I also used parts that weren't made anymore should I not be able to use those parts now just because you can't get them?

Ask yourselves what you are actually whinning about? You're not as good as you thought you were is what it boils down to. There probably wasn't a set up sheet that you could download to get the right set up for the rough track. Figure it out for yourself.

Just my 169 cents worth.
Steve Chamberlain
Old 06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

must of missed that one, was it a hollywood overbudget, overhyped flop that normally comes out.

to finish first first you have to finish yeah heard them all.

no i dont think that at all but all the mains are a race!!!!!!! so what because you dont come top of the tree you dont deserve to be recognised for your achievement, by recognition it does need to be infered a trophy a simple hobby voucher well done shake hands a few words "watched your race well done" by the roar official simple things make the biggest gestures.

and yet you replied to my post with your comment about losers, you dont know me i have also paid my way from year dot when i started racing with my schumacher procat look it up! i do welll locally and enjoy travelling to bigger events to pitch my skills against the best i know im going to lose but i try my hardest your comment was out of context and out of order, takes a bigger man to say sorry
You are right, I don't know you, and you don't know me. I never said that you didn't pay your dues. I am referring to those who are complaining that they never win and want more and more classes.
I race in the Expert or Pro classes and I know I will not win against people like Maifield and Fischer (both of which are local to me) ever. I don't complain, it just makes me try even harder.

If I offended you, I am sorry, the comments were not directed at you, you just took issue with them...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Suspended

What about recognition of achievement or does that not matter, basically what you are saying is that the only person who deserves a trophy is no1 i have some choice words for you but its a public forum so wont, there are some big egos in here who basically want to belittle the racers who pay their wages, some of you guys are sending some bad vibes to the likes of me who dont care that i will never be pro or even close but enjoy racing
You want recognition of an acheivement - WIN SOMETHING !!!
You want pointless recognition, go take your GED test and stand in line for the certifcate of recognition.

But blurring the line between actual acheivement and just participating muddies the water of true competition and is ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SCIDA
I started in Electric. And there were seperate classes. They were 4whl Mod, 2whl Mod and 2whl Stock. I went to my first Nats in 1988 and was in the O in Stock and the R in Modified. The mains went all the way down to I think the FF or GG not sure but was alot. Over the next year I practiced as much as possible and was 2nd qualy in the B in Mod and Won the Stock A main with 620 total entries in 3 classes.

Now adays everyone wants special classes so that they can win something. The only way I got better was racing against Cliff Lett, Jay Halsey, Jack Johnson, Mark Pavidis, Rick Hohwart, Gil Losi to name a few.

I remember this kid that started racing in Monster Truck class and he wanted to know how to get better. I started helping him out as much as possible. I told him you have to race against the best and not just in the Novice classes. I told him to step up and run in either stock or modified. I gave him my extra motors and tires that were used and used parts to fix his cars. I helped him to learn how to work on his cars and learn how to set them up. He eventually got better and just raced modified. And now Brian Kinwald is one of the best drivers in the history of our Hobby just by practicing and wanting to be better than anyone else.

If you wanna be good at something the only way to get better is to practice, practice, practice. When I was an Indycar mechanic we practiced pitstops at the shop everday. Then we did them at the track. So when it came down to crunch time for the race it was actually easy.

So everyone quit your whinning and start practicing.

I used to use springs from other companies on my RC10 and I used to modify my chassis. Some things that no one else did. I also used parts that weren't made anymore should I not be able to use those parts now just because you can't get them?

Ask yourselves what you are actually whinning about? You're not as good as you thought you were is what it boils down to. There probably wasn't a set up sheet that you could download to get the right set up for the rough track. Figure it out for yourself.

Just my 169 cents worth.
Steve Chamberlain
Well said!!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Suspended

NO, without second place (or third or fourth) there is no race.
First place can still come via forfeit.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jbrow1
I guess I'm not following what you are trying to say. What kind of recognition are you looking for?
im not talking club races and not for me personally either im talking big races like the nats should recognice the achievements of all the finals winners
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

You are right, I don't know you, and you don't know me. I never said that you didn't pay your dues. I am referring to those who are complaining that they never win and want more and more classes.
I race in the Expert or Pro classes and I know I will not win against people like Maifield and Fischer (both of which are local to me) ever. I don't complain, it just makes me try even harder.

If I offended you, I am sorry, the comments were not directed at you, you just took issue with them...
probably because they followed my post and could be taken as a response
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

im not talking club races and not for me personally either im talking big races like the nats should recognice the achievements of all the finals winners
They do get recognized, they get to bump to the next higher main.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Second place is the first loser...
I seriously doubt he said that as a way to rub it in anyone's face, or even said it to anyone at the track. But in case you're living in a cave, it's a very old expression that's been repeated hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.