New GRP .21 / Modded VSPec / OS Speed for RC8 - Total Indecision

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New GRP .21 / Modded VSPec / OS Speed for RC8 - Total Indecision

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:21 AM

Default New GRP .21 / Modded VSPec / OS Speed for RC8 - Total Indecision

OK - My brain is starting to hurt, I'm looking for experience here...

I have a CEO Mod V Spec right now, runs great but I think has borderline too much power.

I am considering either one of the new GRP .21's (The one that Losi is importing) or an OS Speed - My thinking is that mabye they have smoother power????

Another question - Does the new GRP bolt right in or are there modifications or aftermarket mounts required?

Thank you!
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Both are good motors i believe with the grp .21 for like 400$ you get the motor and a pipe or you can spend about the same for a os speed with no pipe, i personaly havent ran the new grp's but i know their smooth they run at very cool temps and after tunning a couple for some local friends at the track it seems it likes to be run a little lean on bottom and little rich on top with the 6 plug not sure where your located but out here in the southern california region that is what has seen to run best,
the os speed is hands down one of the best motors out their i have owned a os speed and it was perfect idled like a champ never flamed,great gas mileage, never needed to run it over like 215 degrees had all the power every where you needed it very smooth just an all around great motor and would recomend it to anyone who hasent owned a os speed...the only thing is the speed is fast so if you think the modded ceo vspek was fast the speed is going to be right their with it and would probably go with either the grp or just a regular v spek or even a stock Novarossi .21/5 .....
Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)

Originally Posted by C.Poh
Both are good motors i believe with the grp .21 for like 400$ you get the motor and a pipe or you can spend about the same for a os speed with no pipe, i personaly havent ran the new grp's but i know their smooth they run at very cool temps and after tunning a couple for some local friends at the track it seems it likes to be run a little lean on bottom and little rich on top with the 6 plug not sure where your located but out here in the southern california region that is what has seen to run best,
the os speed is hands down one of the best motors out their i have owned a os speed and it was perfect idled like a champ never flamed,great gas mileage, never needed to run it over like 215 degrees had all the power every where you needed it very smooth just an all around great motor and would recomend it to anyone who hasent owned a os speed...the only thing is the speed is fast so if you think the modded ceo vspek was fast the speed is going to be right their with it and would probably go with either the grp or just a regular v spek or even a stock Novarossi .21/5 .....
am i one of your local friends at REV or am i to slow now...............

your dad says i was doing good against R.Cav and R. Lutz, in pratice last week with my rc8 did he tell you.........???

its AceroOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH..............
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

lol ofcourse mr mike you have been cool and nothing but help since day one so yup yup nothing but respect for ya homie and pops had said something about you guys running right their with the big boys that was like last tuesday right ??
Old 05-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Reznor88
OK - My brain is starting to hurt, I'm looking for experience here...

I have a CEO Mod V Spec right now, runs great but I think has borderline too much power.

I am considering either one of the new GRP .21's (The one that Losi is importing) or an OS Speed - My thinking is that mabye they have smoother power????

Another question - Does the new GRP bolt right in or are there modifications or aftermarket mounts required?

Thank you!

so what your saying is that your modded vspec is faster then a grp or speed?
and that you need to downgrade to a grp or speed?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxnut273
so what your saying is that your modded vspec is faster then a grp or speed?
and that you need to downgrade to a grp or speed?
+1
Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

You can change the power along with where the power is in the band with carb restrictors and different pipes. I have run an OS Speed on a very tight and technical track and done well by using carb restrictors and changing pipes.

If it were me i would keep the ceo v-spec and take the time to play around with it and get it set up right for your track. YTou could always dial down your end point, thiss willl help on fuel economy also--who know you may be able to get 15 minuts out of a tank. Run a 30 minute main and only stop oonce--WOW that got to help in the standings some where.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I am also in the hunt for a new motor. but after talking to Rick at RB Mods i think i'm going with a RB mod's 5 port Gotech..He took the time to answer all my questions over the phone and the price is GREAT!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

from what i have seen the grp is in the same class with the speed in turns of power speed and fuel mileage
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miller1
I am also in the hunt for a new motor. but after talking to Rick at RB Mods i think i'm going with a RB mod's 5 port Gotech..He took the time to answer all my questions over the phone and the price is GREAT!
If thats for a truggy great. If its for a buggy either get the 3 port or the 7 port, the 5 port is gunna be WAY to much to control on a buggy.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Last edited by DirtyDezPirate; 06-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Motor

Why would a 5 port be to much for a buggy? They are all bottom end and a little topend. In my experience they make great buggy motors especially on smaller tighter tracks, not so much on big open tracks. Just my 2 cents.