Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tire gluing help needed...please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Questions?? tire gluing help needed...please!!!

i bought a set of tires and when i assembled them I thought that they were glued together good but when i ran them the first time they came apart. The glue did not take very well to the rims. so, i need help to get the old glue off and how to properly prep them so this does not happen again...as alway, any help is greatly appreciated....thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2008, 04:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this will help you, if not ask any more questions...

http://www.prolineracing.com/t-howto...emounting.aspx
Old 06-02-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.

There are two methods for removing the tire from the rim that I know of. The first is boiling the tire/rim, the second is by putting the tire/rim in the oven for a brief period of time. Ive tried both methods with limited success. The idea is to heat the glue to the point where it breaks down then you can remove the tire. to get the rest of the glue off the rim, you may try a dremel. Ive done this on touring car tires and it worked pretty well. I am about to try on an 8th tire, my nut came loose and the hex got all wallowed out so I need to try this on one tire.....
-M
Old 06-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mike williams
i bought a set of tires and when i assembled them I thought that they were glued together good but when i ran them the first time they came apart. The glue did not take very well to the rims. so, i need help to get the old glue off and how to properly prep them so this does not happen again...as alway, any help is greatly appreciated....thanks in advance
What brand? Gluing sucks. I just glued a couple of sets and once ou get the hang of it its not to bad. Take your time and kinda set up and do a dry test run to get your method down. I hate a wobbly tire.
after about 3 sets I am getting the hang of it tot he point they are looking pre glued.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Lord

Heres a good link posted for me I was trying to get the hang of it.
I prefer a slow drying glue the slower the better.
http://www.nitrohouse.com/video_help.htm

Good info on this site.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

not to high jack the thread here but i have a similar question. how do you glue tires to aluminum rims? do you glue them the same way, or is there something special you have to do? I am only used to glues with the plastic rims. Some help would be great.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.

On gluing to alum rims, I would make sure the alum surface is a little roughed up first, but you should be able to use the same CA that is used for plastic rims. I would check it often for separation though, Ive never personally used alum rims.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Soak the rims in acetone overnight and any pieces of tire and glue will come off very easily the next day. Must be submersed to work. This works to refit any rim even if glued properly the first time. Stole idea from someone on here about reusing rims. It works great.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

there is no shame in pre mounts!!! i can go glue tires i just dont wanna waste the time..
Old 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I've had great success with the oven method.. Preheat oven to 500 , once oven is up to temp, turn off the oven, and put tires in on baking sheet, leave in "off oven" for 7 to 10 mins. Pull out 1 at a time wearing heavy leather gloves, and peel tire off rim with ease. If tire doesn't peel off very easy, put it back in oven and try again in a couple of mins.

As for gluing clean rim and tire with Nexgen mold release cleaner and use Lucky 7 Rc tire glue. Both available at www.TKOcompetitiondev.com Good luck!

Last edited by jpalessi; 06-02-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: I can't spell.. LOL
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

thanks for the info..the NITROHOUSE video is great.....i'm gonna try the boiling method to remove the remaining glue thats holding. just wondering what it's gonna do to the foam?...well..we will see.Thanks again!!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jamminnay
there is no shame in pre mounts!!! i can go glue tires i just dont wanna waste the time..
Amen thats my plan. Tire gluing is a third job.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a couple things to help:

Get a sanding drum for your dremel... or do it by hand with sandpaper. Make sure you scuff the bead area on the rim... and be sure you sand enough to get ALL of the shiny part and the mold release off the bead area of the tire. Clean them both with denatured alcohol after.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i wont trust premounts....ive seen too many come off the rim with em....I prefer to do ALL my own glueing...its a cake walk once uve done a couple dozen
Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Integra
i wont trust premounts....ive seen too many come off the rim with em....I prefer to do ALL my own glueing...its a cake walk once uve done a couple dozen
I need to edit my early post. This post is right. I have gotten the hang of it know and how right it gets easier.

The reason i have changed my ming on pre mounts is that one of the sets I glued I put a set of integy yellow inserts in it and tossed the stock foam. I poked 4 small holes in the tires 1st and now that they are glued they feel great. better than the stock ones I have that are pre mounted.
So there are advantages to gluing your own. I think I will glue my own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.