R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   RC8 or 808? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/224748-rc8-808-a.html)

bushyar15 06-01-2008 04:27 PM

RC8 or 808?

I've owned quite a few buggies over the years. I've owned an Ofna Hyper 7, 8ight, X-Ray, Kyosho SP2, Mugens (MBX4 through MBX5R) , OCM, and my current "ride", the RC8.

To me and my driving style the Mugens, Kyosho, and Xray all handled about the same, very good, very planted, but a bit heavy.

For my driving style, I've found the RC8 with "Big Bores" to be the best handling. It drives awesome and "feels" light when driving. It takes inputs very well which i imagine gives it, its light feel.

But my one issue is that its a bit fragile.

So, I'm considering switching/trying an 808. I'd sure like hear opinions from people that have OWNED both and decided on one or the other.

No offense, but I'm not interested in opinions from those that have only driven a friends, or saw it, or beat it, just from people that have actually owned and lived with both....

TIA

blu_dude 06-01-2008 05:00 PM

I didn't decide to buy the RC8 until the last minute, before that point I was fully expecting on buying the 808. As a matter of fact I ordered Xray's star burst wheels before I even bought the actual car and I also bought orange and white paint just for the 808. My RC8 has a white and orange color scheme because of that. Ultimately I bought the RC8 if only because it was a bit cheaper than the 808 and that allowed me to afford a few other things that I needed. Something I've learned from that and, now from getting into 1/8th scale racing is that cheaper is sometimes just as good.

I love the RC8. I just finished finally putting in the service pack for the car last night. I have no issues up to this point with the car. I've only put about 1/4 of a gallon in it, but in that time I've flipped it, crashed it, jumped it, rolled it, whatever, it took it all. But you already know all this...

Really though, if you've got the cash, get the 808. Add it to your stable. From what I hear it's a stunner!

Jesse :tire::sneaky::tire:

Powerlink 06-01-2008 05:11 PM

I have both and raced both. To be honest I like the quality of the 808 hands down.. over the rc8. Support and setups for both are great... Im with you and your thoughts on the rc 8. I love the way the car handles hands down .. for me and my style .. the car does break some , but they all do .. Its still a new car yet . There team drivers are always improving things so thats good.Im going to stay with the rc8 and just deal with the issues as they come .I raced the 808 today It feels like the L car.It didn't like to over driven at all ,but still very fast . Just my take on it . If you want to you can PM me and I could give you some more info.:tire::tire:

Leedog 06-01-2008 05:19 PM

Watched an 808 today and was very impressed with it,Very close and distinct to losis buggy in my book.My two cents anyway

tex1 06-01-2008 05:21 PM

808 over RC8......

I would go with the 808 every day of the week. It is more durable, less you have to do to get stable and fast and most importantly a hell of a lot better quality. I have found the car to be very easy to dial in and work in blue groove, blown out dust and indoor clay. 1 change to tweak the chassis for all three tracks. This is pretty good for when you go to the track across town and the conditions change. You can get setup and go about your business.
Fantastic car.

slaytanic 06-01-2008 05:44 PM

I will be driving the 808 starting next weekend. Looked hard at both. In the end I think the RC8 will cost the same due to more parts wear. Still good looking ride though. I have just always wanted to see what the fuss about Xray is! Thats why I had to have a new one so I could build it. LONG LIVE THE KIT!!!!

Steve Walters 06-01-2008 05:56 PM

Hands down the 808. The quality is far superior. :nod:

rcrevolution 06-01-2008 06:20 PM

how durable are the 808's?

I ask this because I see it uses plastic where alot of other buggies use aluminum.....

the steering knuckles/hubs...chassis braces.

also anyone know of any xray support in CT?

I am stuck in this same boat, but with me I was considering the hyper 8.5 pro or rc8 but saw the 808 today land upside down from 20 feet and not break....

the rc8 I been hearing things like it has fuel tank issues that AE just released a new tank trying to solve them, and also doesnt have big bores, which I know alot of it is hype, but its nice to have to dampen those big jumps.

the rc8 is what? $469, and the 808 is $599 so is the 808 worth the extra $130?

xlgraphicspro 06-01-2008 06:33 PM

Well, I can tell you what I've run. Jammin, Xray xb8, Losi 8ight,Kyosho 777 SP2 WC with big bore shocks, and now an Xray 808.

This weekend was the second weekend with the 808. So far I am stunned with it's performance, I was able to tune it to my liking today, and I can see I'm picking up alot more time on the track. Best thing is I am almost right where I want to be competition wise.

It's similar to the 8ight, but has the weight distributed a bit differently, and I think it suits my driving style a bit better. And yes it's durable as all hell, and since it's a tick lighter than a losi, it picks up and goes so easily.

Since it's pretty easy to get around the track, I have been able to take it easy, while at the same time getting faster. ultimatly not pegging the throttle, and increasing my run times on top of it all!

All, I've seen from the RC8 is that it needs a couple up grades to be bullet proof, and a couple quirks worked out. but my VOTE IS FOR THE 808 HANDS WAY DOWN!

tony montana 06-01-2008 07:19 PM

to me it all came down to price. I wanted a 808 but the cheapest I could get it for was 600.00. So I bought a rc8 instead. I havent ran the rc8 yet as I just got it thursday. And I only paid 440.00 for the rc8. And I have heard getting parts for the 808 is a nightmare right now, but rcamercia will get that staright

rcrevolution 06-01-2008 07:23 PM

if the 808 is more durable though, you should be able to get away with changing parts less.

Stealth_RT 06-01-2008 07:38 PM

The RC8 is very durable in my book. $35 for the one piece AE top plate and your golden. Same setup works everywhere (the Silver State setup, with minor tweaks) Parts wear? Haven't notice any on my car yet. Drivetrain lasts and lasts and lasts. (Unlike, say a Losi :P) Never drove an 808, so I can't say its better or worse. The harder you push the RC8, the faster it goes. Never liked the way the Losi had to be driven, so if the 808 is similar, I'll pass on it and keep my awesome RC8. Just my $.02

rcrevolution 06-01-2008 07:46 PM

i just came from the ae forums, and they are having a blast trying to figure out their fuel tank....

it seems the current ones crack easily, or even come cracked from the factory.

xlgraphicspro 06-01-2008 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by rcrevolution (Post 4499163)
i just came from the ae forums, and they are having a blast trying to figure out their fuel tank....

it seems the current ones crack easily, or even come cracked from the factory.

This is what happens when your car is built in Taiwan. silly thunder tiger. (Don't quote me on which country it's built in. I just know it's somewhere in Asia.)

HarKonnenD 06-01-2008 08:02 PM

The 808 is an awesome car and VERY light! In capable handles any vehicle is a weapon, but all comes down to how much you want to spend and what is easier to get parts for. I bought a used 8.5 pro, coupled it with my own gear and enjoying 8th buggy. It works for me though if I had the $$ I'd probably get the Xray. :smile: