Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My XB808 Buggy Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up My XB808 Buggy Build

Haven't seen a thread made for a kit build project, so here's my XB808 I bought at Fastcats last week at a very reasonable price of $599+taxes is well worth every penny. Talking to Pam and John they will be supplying many parts for this buggy!!

I was very impressed by the packaging allow and after opening the box I realized that this was going to take a while :GRIN: so I made some coffee and laid out the bags...

first the diffs... standard assembly accept for the cups to cap and space the bearings in the case, should keep the bearings nice and clean! Also the direct CVD drive is a great feature

now the arms and sway bars assemblies. the premium high-grade graphite shock towers will reduce weight slightly, but to help strengthen the graphite; sand and apply CA glue to all the machined areas!

after the front and rear suspension parts are assembled double check you have used lock-tight where instructed and all fasteners are secure! Now install on the chassis...

the RX and battery box is the same as the XB8ec, although the graphite servo tray has been improved and redesigned. also notice that I've replaced the plastic center diff brace with the one off the XB8ec model... (the wing brace, fuel tank, complete center diff assembly) are all a direct fit!! and I bet theres more, I will post when I find them!

and finally the shocks and the rubbers... during the build I used THIS setup sheet, for the better part its a general setup for most tracks we visit...

Sending the body out this week for some custom work and also hit the5 for some early practice and setup changes (if necessary) and get some videos posted of my new ride!!

Last edited by MetalShield; 06-07-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks for sharing that was really cool! Nice job with the photograph!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

yeah no problem, my pleasure... I also have the XB8ec and going to strip her down to see what other parts can be used universally. Looks like the the servo saver able be a direct fit also, but I have to check it out first...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, love to see an Xray product put together. They're so well packaged, and the instructions are so damn clear from what I've seen. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Did you sand and seal the carbon parts? Just wondering how essential it is because I'm about to start my kit.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Regular

Ive heard all carbon should have it done... helps prevent any splitting in the layers.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

he said he sealed it, but doesn't look like mine. mine have a shine to it. but yes, It's essential! You don't want them to seperate if you land upside down in the dirt!

Last edited by xlgraphicspro; 06-02-2008 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

it was done!! sanded between each application... three times actually, does it really matter if they shine or not... I was going to do it a fourth time but didn't feel it was necessary! but thanks for the complainant as in your eyes they look untouched!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Heres the upgrades for the XB808 from TeamXray and Canadain Distributor CanWestRC and can be ordered from FastCats

Last edited by MetalShield; 06-26-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

One more helpful setup tip I learned from TeamXrayCanada Driver "FastBurn" on Londonrc.com... to make it easier for shock setup have the mounting screw go threw the shock first push a piece of fuel tubing over the metal bushing to the flange and cut it to a 1/16" or approximently 3mm, then tighten the spacer to the shock and fasten the nylon-nut on the tower!

Old 06-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

just like the losi....Coincidental....i think not.

ps where'd all the build pics go ?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
just like the losi....Coincidental....i think not.

ps where'd all the build pics go ?
I changed the folders on my photobucket account (sorry forgot to relink the pics) They should be working now!
Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

You said you had an EC also, so will the 808 shock towers work on the EC?

Is the 808 superior to the EC?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by c1 racin
You said you had an EC also, so will the 808 shock towers work on the EC?

Is the 808 superior to the EC?
they will fit the bulkheads but the geometry of the rear shock positions are different. I'm not sure about the chassis brace though... the 808's rear shock tower is slightly shorter using the big bore shocks. After owning and driving both the EC and 808, I definitely would have to say the 808 has superior stability and is very smooth over jumps, its perfectly balanced!!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MetalShield
they will fit the bulkheads but the geometry of the rear shock positions are different. I'm not sure about the chassis brace though... the 808's rear shock tower is slightly shorter using the big bore shocks. After owning and driving both the EC and 808, I definitely would have to say the 808 has superior stability and is very smooth over jumps, its perfectly balanced!!
Thanks for the input, I have an EC and have been thinking about the 808. I want to get feedback from peeps that have/had both. I mainly run on-road and dabble in off-road. However I still am always in the running with my EC when I do show up at the track with it. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.