R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Balloons For Shock Boots ? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/224503-balloons-shock-boots.html)

dragonman 05-30-2008 06:46 PM

Balloons For Shock Boots ?

At seven bucks a set there has to be a cheaper way.

Davidka 05-30-2008 07:00 PM

You are correct. Use the special balloons that people use to twist up and make animals. Cut to length and use them just like the stock boots. They even last longer than some brand's boots do. Carolinas RC even sells them in black.

Dan Reino 05-30-2008 07:06 PM

I get a bag of Water Ballons from Target. 100 ballons for $1.00 they work great on Jammin, Losi, Asso. Xray 808......

SteveJa 05-30-2008 07:10 PM

+1...... they are great.... I get a bag of 72 count of the animal balloons for $7.... that is 18 sets... 40 cents for a set of 4...... much better then $6 ~ $7 for 1 set of 4....

xlgraphicspro 05-30-2008 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveJa (Post 4494276)
+1...... they are great.... I get a bag of 72 count of the animal balloons for $7.... that is 18 sets... 40 cents for a set of 4...... much better then $6 ~ $7 for 1 set of 4....

That's how you get the busted condom look!:lol::lol:

Integra 05-30-2008 07:37 PM

ive tried ballons but found that they Bunched up too much and actually took some travel away from the shock....with the real boots they are designed to not scrunch up...also u need a vent hole....and making 1 proves challenging with a regular old leather punch....all u gotta do is learn not to RAM the spring retainer on and pry it open a bit with ur fingers and slip it on...i make boots last easy 2-3 rounds of racing.....sure they tear from time to time...but w/e...like this racing thing isnt expensive enuff. :lol:

xlgraphicspro 05-30-2008 08:11 PM

come to think of it, my Xray 808 didn't even come with boots. it has a felt ring that does the same thing!

UN4RACING 05-30-2008 08:29 PM

You could use spring covers.

Cog 05-30-2008 09:48 PM

You can use whatever you feel like using, thats how RC started out,throwing a bunch of stuff together and see what you came up with.

For those that want something different and far more durable then any shock cover on the market. Go to your electrical section of your local hardware store or Home Depot. Get some shrink wrap that will fit your size spring. The wrap comes in various sizes and an array of colors to make anyone happy.

You get a whole package of it for a few bucks. When you get home measure your spring up and add about 1/4 inch to that measurement. Disconnect the bottom in the A arm. Slide the shrink wrap over the bottom of the spring and make sure you cut the extra 1/4 inch of wrap longer. Heat it up and the extra part will fold under and into the spring and you have a relatively sound set up and as strong as heck. Note, sometimes you have to cut the wrap 1/2 longer on both sides for the wider body springs so to make the wrap fold up properly.

Looks good, dirt blows off with an air hose and they last a long time and actually gives you a touch more strength in your springs.

Semple 05-30-2008 09:54 PM

Do you have a picture of that shrink wrap setup?

wheelhead 05-30-2008 10:03 PM

Yea would like to see that too.:nod:

air8 05-30-2008 11:09 PM

Shrink wrap??? Never heard of that one. I use the animal balloons also. But I found two different sizes. One size is definately too small and causes shock shaft binding. The larger size is great. Easy to put on, but tight enough to stay in place. They won't affect the springs at all, and the extra can be cut to fit over the top shock cap--preventing fine particles from collecting on the threads of the shock cap. So when you do a rebuild, or tuning no dirt what-so-ever.

slaytanic 05-31-2008 03:34 AM

I would love to see some pics of both these mods. I'm sick of boots as well!

UN4RACING 05-31-2008 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by slaytanic (Post 4495066)
I would love to see some pics of both these mods. I'm sick of boots as well!

Ditto.:nod: The shock boot sales will be down or the price will come down after this thread.

Integra 05-31-2008 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro (Post 4494427)
come to think of it, my Xray 808 didn't even come with boots. it has a felt ring that does the same thing!

Jammin tried that....those are little dirt traps...first rebuild after racing those will be Filled with Grit and grime...i was shocked as well to see a buddy's 808 didnt come with boots either..i guess they think the felt will be enuff... :ha: