R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   best tires for 1/8 buggy???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/224402-best-tires-1-8-buggy.html)

nitrorush27 05-29-2008 07:53 PM

best tires for 1/8 buggy????

Just wondering what every ones preferences are for tires for a 1/8 scale buggy. my vote is proline crime fighters, but that's all i ever have used.:tire::tire::tire::tire::tire::tire::tire::ti re::tire::tire::tire::tire::tire:

UN4RACING 05-29-2008 08:15 PM

And links would be cool I'm looking to change from prolines to some thing longer lasting.

C Branch 05-29-2008 08:19 PM

Depends on the track.

Hyper RX7 05-29-2008 08:26 PM

Defaintly depends on track AND conditions...

But if you asked, "If you could only pick 1 set of tyres to use on multiple tracks around the globe..... what would it be?"

I'd say bowties..... or crimefighters.

jamminnay 05-29-2008 08:26 PM

It depends mostly on the track. But the new Jconcepts tires are awesome!!

Originally Posted by C Branch (Post 4491595)
Depends on the track.

Furadi 05-29-2008 08:39 PM

Bowties for me. I ran crimefighters and bowties on my Hyper 8 last year and I liked the Crimfighters better. This Im running an 8ight and it HATES crimefighters.

wes95_z28 05-29-2008 08:46 PM

I hate when people post threads with this question, becuase there is no answer. Ther best tire for buggys is different for almost every track. you want to see the best tire for the track near you go out and look at what everyone is running, chances are those are the best tires for that track. But dont forget when the track conditions change, so do the tires.

nitrorush27 05-29-2008 09:14 PM

aight wes then for u ill ask it another way.

dry/dusty:
hard packed blue grove:
wet/tacky:

i know what people use in my area i was just wondering, cause I'm thinking on trying some panthers and i haven't herd of a lot of people running them. just curious if there is any thing new or something i haven't herd of.

UN4RACING 05-29-2008 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by nitrorush27 (Post 4491773)

dry/dusty:
hard packed blue grove:
wet/tacky:

i know what people use in my area i was just wondering, cause I'm thinking on trying some panthers and i haven't herd of a lot of people running them. just curious if there is any thing new or something i haven't herd of.

I just tried panthers last week and they were great on a dry track. On blue grooved I would say XTR. I'm not sure what the Panthers were but they were a bow tie knock off type of pattern Med. soft. They worked really well. Hopefully some one will post some links to what brands there running?
I mostly run bow ties and Crime fighter on any surface M2 compound.

wes95_z28 05-29-2008 09:21 PM

dry/dusty:
hard packed blue grove:
wet/tacky:

K that is much easier to answer.

I usually run this setup in these conditions.

dry/dusty: Holeshots, or some very small pin tire.
Hard packed blue groove: Bowties
wet/tacky: crimefighters

This is only when I have a large supply of tires to choose from, but I usually dont and my track is usually dusty blue grooved in the line and loamy off the racing line so crimefighters usually stay on my ride.

Genius 05-30-2008 01:38 AM

in general this is how I chose between tires

dry/dusty: panther komodo 1 or 2 depending on the track if i need more forward traction or side traction. gators if it gets really bumpy
Hard packed blue groove: Gators or switches and probably the new raptor tire
wet/tacky: if theres still some loose dirt komodo 1 or 2 and gators if its hard dirt

Black 05-30-2008 12:59 PM

Ok guys of course I am bias becuase I run for them but I really do LOVE my Werks tires. They have the stub which resembles a holeshot, the lug which is kind of a hybrid between a crimefighter and a bowtie, and the W which is just an impressive tire all in itself for loamy tracks. A really really great note about these tires is that they do truely last. And when I say last I mean really really last. I ran a set of R200 (soft) stubs on a high bite blue groove track here in Florida and got about 15 tanks before the tires started to give up. Just some food for thought!

DOMIT 05-30-2008 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 4491792)
I just tried panthers last week and they were great on a dry track. On blue grooved I would say XTR. I'm not sure what the Panthers were but they were a bow tie knock off type of pattern Med. soft. They worked really well. Hopefully some one will post some links to what brands there running?
I mostly run bow ties and Crime fighter on any surface M2 compound.

It sounds to me like you are describing Panther Komodo Dragon II's. I usually like the original ones better... with the small "paddle" in the center.

As someone mentioned later in this thread... for a long lasting tire, Werks are tough to beat. A little less traction than some of the tires mentioned... a LITTLE less... but I have a set that I have 3 races on, and they are barely "feathered." Not 3 heats... 3 full races, with 3 heats and a main in each... and they are the soft compound. Note that we run on a very dry, abrasive surface that chews tires up pretty quick.

Also check out the Team Cobra tires. :)

itsshemp 05-30-2008 03:15 PM

There are PLENTY of tire choices out there, and they all have thier time and place. Dont be affraid to try the Panther tires. I have recently tried some of the Gators, and Komodos, and they work very well. the Gators are simular to the Crimefighters, but personally I liked them better.

Advantage racing has a few hot tires too. The Hat Tricks are pretty cool (simular to Komodos), and seem to last a long time. They also make the Blockpass which is an Ol Faithful for me.

Its always best to have a little variety in your bag of tricks. Its just too bad they are so darn expensive to keep that variety in stock!:(

A BowFighter combo is also a staple to have on hand!

I am a privatier, so I have no real bias. Just my opinion.:nod:

blowpopracer 05-30-2008 06:21 PM

dry/dusty:
hard packed blue grove:
wet/tacky:

dry/dusty j concepts hitmen
hard packed blue grove/j concepts hitmen possibly dd's
wet/tacky/ j concepts dd's

Panther tires are very good. I like j concepts better cause I like their molded foams and they are easier to glue up than any brand of tire I have tried. If you do wanna run panther though here is my recommendation

dry/dusty komodo dragons
hard packed blue grove komodo dragon or possibly switches
wet/tacky definately switchs

This is just my opinion and others may vary.