R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What would you like to see at a large race (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/223307-what-would-you-like-see-large-race.html)

Roberts 05-22-2008 07:47 PM

What would you like to see at a large race

Hey Guys,

What kind of things do you like and/or dislike at large races? What would get you to drive a long distance to go to a race?

For example, I'd like to see a name picked out of a hat out of all the guys in the B-main for a large prize (like a car kit) and same for the C-main (like a motor), and so on.

What we're planning so far is for the A-main pro Buggy & Truggy to receive money only for 1st through 5th. In sportsman it won't be money, just prizes/trophies plus a drawing like above.

I think it would be nice for a big race to be appealing for everyone - not just the big winners (for all the drivers who support the race).

Any advice you guys can give me would be great.

petevette 05-22-2008 09:10 PM

Those are great ideas you have. I would recommend the larger companies donating a bunch of stuff to make it likely that everybody goes home with something. I know that sometimes some people win multiple prizes and some people go home empty handed, but at least it betters your chances. Even if you do bad at a race, it is nice to take home something free even if it isn't expensive. Just a good feeling to win something.

Also, the race should end at a reasonable hour to let the out of towners to drive home. I hate races that end at midnight or later and then I have to hit the road.

mblgjr 05-22-2008 09:42 PM

Use Qualipoints for qualifying...

Have food available...

Have an "invitation" or "Pro" class for the sponsored/Factory guys...

Proper track-prep is a must. I don't want to drive XXXhours and have a blown out; mis-timed; non-rhythm track that feels "broken" or not thought out.

Loop&Roll 05-23-2008 01:38 AM

A track would be a good start, ;)

buckeye34 05-23-2008 02:58 AM

BOOBIES!!!!!!:nod::)

ehartman_49348 05-23-2008 04:12 AM

* Get gift certificates from some of the bigger hobby shops for a raffle (A Main Hobbies, Tilted RC, Carolinas RC)
* Make gift certificates for 'free racing' at your track for a raffle(this will make people come back)
* You can get a 'sponsor package' from Pro Line, which includes gift certificates for Pro Line products. You could offer this to the winners of the B mains
* Make the event worthwhile for the whole family, not just the racers. Maybe have something for the kids to play on, like one of those blow up slides or something.
* Food is important to have around, but I don't think it will make people driver for hours
* A nice track in proper racing condition is definitaly something that would draw more people

Hopefully you'll get some more ideas, so I can steal them for our track... :lol:

tex1 05-23-2008 06:13 AM

Here you go....

Real race directors that have real track officials at their disposal. To many times, I have seen a perfect event only to find no one has been called for rough driving the whole weekend. By the mains it makes everyone question what is going on. Call them. Call it correct with no BS early on and you will have no problems later in the day when everyone is tired.
The drivers will all come back if it is handled well.

Attention to detail on how the track looks. Back sides of the jumps, clear fields of view with marshalls in place and lighting if needed. The track needs to raceable with multiple cars driving different lines. It does not need to be made where only the best can get around on the fast lines.

Water so that your travelers have a better chance of finding proper tires and they do not have to spend so much to race there. They are already paying for gas to get there.

The idea should be how to get them to come back next time.

Hope this helps,
TEX
:cool:

Dan Reino 05-23-2008 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by buckeye34 (Post 4471652)
BOOBIES!!!!!!:nod::)

Hey now lets keep it clean, How about Hooters chicks for turnmarshalling!!!!

desertbird 05-23-2008 07:40 AM

Hooters chicks in bikinis as marshalls, yeah now we're talking. I might flip on my lid just to see her bend over.:lol::lol::lol:

Aside from that, and what was said earlier; a good track. The prizes are a plus, but it's driving a good track that would attract me.

oh, a reasonable entry fee, this hobby nickle and dimes you to death no need to be quatered at a race.

I like your ideas, some good ones....

blowpopracer 05-23-2008 09:20 AM

+1 on a well prepped track. Prizes are nice as well as trophy girls but by far the most important thing to me is a well prepped track. Having a lhs is nice as well in case you break a part you dont have on hand but I realize that part isnt easy.

C.Poh 05-23-2008 09:39 AM

a well prepped and a dialed fresh layout that no one has ran on with some rythm not just 180 turns all day,,payed turnmarshels for races like nationals,nitro challenge and others,moderators watching for traffic and hacking, air,water, nice pit tables,ELECTRICITY, raffles for racers and spectators,good lighting, things for the kids like video games,and sexy ladies walking around passing out water bottles ,rockstars,moster drinks and little promotional hand out gifts...

crazy4wdracer 05-23-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348 (Post 4471730)
* Get gift certificates from some of the bigger hobby shops for a raffle (A Main Hobbies, Tilted RC, Carolinas RC)
* Make gift certificates for 'free racing' at your track for a raffle(this will make people come back)
* You can get a 'sponsor package' from Pro Line, which includes gift certificates for Pro Line products. You could offer this to the winners of the B mains
* Make the event worthwhile for the whole family, not just the racers. Maybe have something for the kids to play on, like one of those blow up slides or something.
* Food is important to have around, but I don't think it will make people driver for hours
* A nice track in proper racing condition is definitaly something that would draw more people

Hopefully you'll get some more ideas, so I can steal them for our track... :lol:

A state series race that I went to last weekend gave out gift cards for CarolinasRC. parma bodies, and some 1/8 buggy rims. I'm only 15 and they gave alot of the prizes out to the younger guys. But that was the first big race that i have been to in a while and i was impressed.

Flyin Ryan 05-23-2008 02:16 PM

large races

Designated turn marshalls that pay attention and try there best to flip you over right away. This will give the little guy time to tweek his ride or watch the race.

Steve Walters 05-23-2008 03:42 PM

I would like to see 10 -12 hired turn Marshall's. I know I would pay $5.00-$10.00 more on an entry fee so I didn't need to turn Marshall. This way the program would run way faster and more efficient not having to wait for drivers to get at there cones. As soon as that heat/mains finished the next could be warming up. Drivers could spend more time working on there equipment if needed too. If there was a 100 entry race that would be $500-$1000.00 dollars to higher some athletic high school or college kids for a day.

crazy4wdracer 05-23-2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Walters (Post 4473108)
I would like to see 10 -12 hired turn Marshall's. I know I would pay $5.00-$10.00 more on an entry fee so I didn't need to turn Marshall. This way the program would run way faster and more efficient not having to wait for drivers to get at there cones. As soon as that heat/mains finished the next could be warming up. Drivers could spend more time working on there equipment if needed too. If there was a 100 entry race that would be $500-$1000.00 dollars to higher some athletic high school or college kids for a day.

That way racers aren't flipping over their buddies and letting everyone else go too.