Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
What would you like to see at a large race >

What would you like to see at a large race

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan Reino
Hey now lets keep it clean, How about Hooters chicks for turnmarshalling!!!!

I'll keep them clean for them....
Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hooters girls cost way to much, I been trying to get them to turm marshall for years. LOL
Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Trophy with my name on it, stuffed with cash, being handed to me by said hooters girls.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

our track paid turn marshalls one time.it was pretty cool.they werent the greatest but they were the same for everybody,and i wasnt one of them!!!
a starting gate.i am working on building a starting gate for my local track.most races ive been to do ifmar qualifiying or whatever,where everyone races for a time,not position.problem is at my local track,everyone just races everyone ALL the time.then in the mains,you might have tq'ed but could easily end up last on the grid,cuz everybody crowds up.even the guys that get lapped 4 times a race. i wouldnt have to scream so much the first lap then.hopefully i can sequence the gate,so the 1st car gets dropped a split second before 2nd,who gets dropped before the 3rd car,etc.that way we could have cleaner starts.sometimes on horrible starts,it takes my mind totally out of the race...
Old 05-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say that one of the hardest things for me is I am not a A-main or B-main guy at the big races yet so when I have gone to big races it kind of sucks that the guys who are in the lower mains like myself get to only run for 5 min in anything past B-main. So making a trip of say 400 to 500 miles away to get to run for a total of 20min for the whole weekend is the only bummer thing about it. I think it would be nice to have 10min mains but I do understand the time restrictions
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motomanpat
I would say that one of the hardest things for me is I am not a A-main or B-main guy at the big races yet so when I have gone to big races it kind of sucks that the guys who are in the lower mains like myself get to only run for 5 min in anything past B-main. So making a trip of say 400 to 500 miles away to get to run for a total of 20min for the whole weekend is the only bummer thing about it. I think it would be nice to have 10min mains but I do understand the time restrictions
This is a good point... although I kinda like the 8 minute mains in RC Pro since I don't have to pit.

Door prizes are nice, but that won't get me to race... the biggest things to me are a well-run race program and a nice track/facility.

I understand what people are saying about paid turn marshalls... but there is a big liability issue there... and if they are doing it ALL DAY LONG they're gonna slow down. It will wear you out, particularly the less skilled drivers.

As for having something for the kids... how about something that ties into the hobby? Maybe a "scramble" race for the kids with electric buggies, all the same, and some kind of small prizes for the top 3? Yes, it would cut into the race program unless there were a separate track... but this would promote the hobby to young folks that might eventually join the rest of us playing with our toys...

Other entertainment like an "air it out" competition for the spectators to watch...

Camping at the track! The best times we have had have been at places like Austin where we could camp and cook out...

A "runner" for the race director would be a good idea. It is nice to have results of heats/mains posted rapidly so you can evaluate what you did in a particular race...
Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by motomanpat
What he said ,an do the same track perp for the lower mains as you would for the A an B main those guys paid the same amount of money.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

A liquor license, and a guarantee of no rain.

Having an alternate rain date set up would be a good idea, though.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

How about racers that truly do love the "hobby"? Oh, what's that you say? You DO love this hobby? I beg to differ. All you folks complaining about marshalling. Hmmmm...do you love the hobby enough to GIVE BACK! to it?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
How about racers that truly do love the "hobby"? Oh, what's that you say? You DO love this hobby? I beg to differ. All you folks complaining about marshalling. Hmmmm...do you love the hobby enough to GIVE BACK! to it?
give back how? like helping new drivers, or not being a snob just because your fast or sponsored, or helping kids with there car, justing saying. That could be a start. not you but a lot of drivers
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i would like to see severe penalties for not being at your cone in time, with a strict clock. i understand that most, myself included, wouldn't want to run with inadequate marshalling so maybe have stand in marshalls ready, instead of paid marshalls for the whole event. just have a few guys to cover the spots that the losers weren't at
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

yes the paid marshalls were very tired.i havent heard any real complaints about m arshalling,but at a big race where you pay a lot or travel far,it would be nice not to have to if you are double classing.if you marshall a bad spot,it can improve your driving,by making you realize how easy it is to crash there.
one other thing i would like to see is better prizes for lower mains.maybe make prize packs then draw out of a hat for which race they go to,that way you dont get sandbaggers.maybe three or prizes then winner gets first pick.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

cough... women.. ok bad joke.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would like to see more race directors require anyone with a chassis sponsor to run expert/pro. It gets old seeing guys with chassis and even engine sponsors running in the sportsman class at big races.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I 100% agree on track time. It's just not worth it to travel hundreds of miles and spend hundreds of dollars to run three or four 5 minute qualifiers and a seven or ten minute main. All qualifiers should be 10 minutes with a minimum of four rounds. The lower mains should be all 15 minutes up to the C and then the B and A mains should be kept to 20 and 30 minutes (maybe 30 and 45 tops).

The race director should not be racing and someone else should be there to tech as well and also not be racing.

Use a numbered pit lane and driver's stand like they did at this year's Silver State race. There was no more rush to get up there on the stand and only two guys were allowed at each spot in pit lane so it was not crowded. This was HUGE hit at this year's Silver State. As you go through each round you rotate the numbers on the stand so no one is in the same spot. The guys in pit lane stand under the number hanging on teh outside of the stand. They used wooden discs with numbers on them at the SS.

As for cash payouts that is a tough one. Most of the guys I know look at it as just a donation to the fast and/or sponsored guys. It can be seen as a turn off (not that the sponsored guys don't deserve it).

One of the things you can do is contact one of the tire companies and ask them for a better than dealer price discount on tires that can be sold at near cost to the racers. Same thing with fuel. Tires and fuel are the two biggest expenses and the biggest pain to have to bring with you (especially if you are flying). Get the fuel in quarts so no one buys a gallon then wastes what they don't use.

Just a few thoughts....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.