Losi 8 buggy front clutch bearings????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8 buggy front clutch bearings????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by btracing
Thanks All,

Brad and others what do you use then to set the mesh more loose,

A single piece of paper between the clutchbell/spur is normal so what do you do to give the more loose as needed.

Thankyou
When I say loose, I mean sloppy loose. Probably 2x as much as a normal buggy.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spcpicard
Anyone notice the excess play (lateral) on the front 5X10 bearing? When I spin my clutch bell it doesn't even spin the outer race. I tried another losi 14 and another brand bearing and it was the same. I don't know if this would have any effect on the life of the front bearing, but it doesn't seem right.
Hmmmm... I bet it would be a problem... I didn't even look at that, but I've blown bearings right and left.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by spcpicard
Anyone notice the excess play (lateral) on the front 5X10 bearing? When I spin my clutch bell it doesn't even spin the outer race. I tried another losi 14 and another brand bearing and it was the same. I don't know if this would have any effect on the life of the front bearing, but it doesn't seem right.
The losi clutch bells are a piece of crap. The bearing slots are way too large and the bearings just drop right in with no effort at all. A few weeks of use and you have excessive clearance around the outside of the cb bearings which gives you a large side to side play. I had the same problem where you could actually see that the outside of the bearing is now a mat finish from spinning relative to the cb. I just ditched mine for the Robinson Racing CB and also purchased the matching spur gear. A local guy at our track has been running that set up since last fall and the spur had no visible wear at all. The CB has no lateral movement now and I am happy again. The bearing slot tolerances were spot on.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

i am still running the stock gears and i recently got over a gallon and a half out of stock losi clutch bearings. Main thing is everything that has been mentioned in this thread already. Gear mesh a little looser than the norm, make shure that the play is not too much on the shaft and last be shure to clean the carbon dust every so often out of the bell and clutch set up (if still running 2al/2carbon)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clarksib
+1 make sure your engine is perfectly strait and lined up perfectly so you have good mesh and no binding. The only thing that would blow one so fast would be impropper shimming or a big load placed on the bell once everything is set.
+2
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Initiate

re post #15 spi..card's

this is what i was finding too. Don't know how common this is but it obviously doesnt help.

Anyway i fitted a brand new motor, Sirio Evo 3 , broke it in and am gonna race it this weekend.

Have religned all the engine mounts, fitted a shim in front of the flywheel nut, ie before the rear bearing which then moves the clutchbell more centre with the spur gear. Shimmed the endplay for .4mm and used double thick paper to set the mesh on bell, spur.

Let the test begin
Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default bearings

I have ran avid ceramics for about 2 years and had only 1 failure. They are a little pricey. In my opinion they are worth it.I run loose gear mesh and only 1 or 2mm clearance on the clutch bell. I run losi cb's and 1 peice motor mount also. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxx90
I have ran avid ceramics for about 2 years and had only 1 failure. They are a little pricey. In my opinion they are worth it.I run loose gear mesh and only 1 or 2mm clearance on the clutch bell. I run losi cb's and 1 peice motor mount also. Good luck.

makes me want to give Avid's Ceramics a shot....I tried a couple different 5-10$ a peice Boca ceramic's with little suscess....how often do u replace them ? do u degrease the inner bearing ?
Old 05-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)
Default bearings

I didnt degrease them I just put them in and run them. It prob wouldnt hurt to do that. I dont change them. I use tri flow lube I picked up at the hardware store and they recommend to lube them I think every 1/2 -1 gallon.